Odd display in VAC tab

Trucker

Odd display in VAC tab

Postby Trucker » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:06 am

I have been adjusting some settings in VAC1 trying to improve my receive audio. And for the most part the audio sounds better. Before I made the changes ( set Buffer size to 1024 and left sample rate at 4800) the audio was OK. But, occasionally I would get the small red and green blocks showing just under the VAC1 button on the main display. I don't show any overflows or onderflows. But, the graph on the right side is showing two moving red lines with the Auto checkbox above it checked. Unchecking the Auto setting puts the lines back in the center of each box.
My question is, what does this graph represent and what effect,if any,does it have on received audio?
James
WD5GWY
Attachments
20220817_184839.jpg
20220817_184839.jpg (4.18 MiB) Viewed 3523 times
w-u-2-o

Re: Odd display in VAC tab

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:55 pm

You probably want to read this topic all the way through: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3901
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:51 pm

Thank you Scott! I am slowly getting there!
James
WD5GWY
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:58 pm

Update.
Quite an interesting read. I am not sure if my current setup would benefit from making changes. My current setup is very basic. I am running a Dell i7 6700 with 16GB's ram. All of my audio is handled by Thetis and Windows 11 MME and Windows Sound Maper using VAC1.
I imagine if I were using an external interface adjusting these settings would make better sense .
Maybe, I would be better off leaving things as they are. Currently I do not experience any problems with my current setup. I receive unsolicited positive remarks about my transmit audio. And receive audio is very good.
The only change I plan to make is switch from my Boise Companion II powered speakers to powered studio monitors. I found a set of JBL 305's ( older model) for $199.00 online from Guitar Center. I may get those or the M-Audio powered speakers.
Lots of choices. Just hoping to find some that are as RFI proof as the Companion II speakers are.
Thanks again for the link Scott.
James
WD5GWY
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:10 pm

The JBL's and the M-Audio are both great choices. I have those exact JBL monitors. Don't forget the JBL monitors only support a balanced audio input so you may need an adapter cable.
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:18 pm

Scott, the JBL's appear to be a good deal. One thing I am not clear on. Since I am currently using the internal sound card of my PC and connecting to my current powered speakers (Boise Companion II) via the PC's line out connection, what do I need to do to connect from that connection to the Balanced input of the JBL speakers? I have seen cables that go from the 1/8th stereo output connection to an XLR connector like those on the rear of the JBL powered speakers. I had read somewhere that the best option was to use a transformer between the balanced and unbalanced connection. As i understand one article I read, that would help eliminate the potential for RF being picked up by the cables.
The current powered speakers have never given me any problems with RFI. And although the M-Audio speakers look very good and the local Guitar Center has them on sale, I am not sure if they are able to handle an RF environment very well. That is one reason I am willing to spend more for the used JBL's since they have a better reputation for working well in an RF environment.
I have read quite a number of posts in the Audio section and nearly all are using external equipment to interface microphone and speakers instead of just using the PC 's sound card for handling Audio.
Currently, I am using a cheap $20.00 Amazon special Condenser microphone (USB) and it seems to work quite well. As I said in another post, I get compliments (unsolicited ) on my transmit audio. So, I feel that that microphone is up to the task. And the audio tools in Thetis really seem to work well.
Thank you for your help.
James
WD5GWY
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:16 am

If you are up for building your own cable, while this topic was aimed at microphones it's equally valid for any unbalanced-to-balanced audio connection: https://community.apache-labs.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2790&p=5387

Keeping things cheap, this cable got good reviews: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0824X47X9 I don't think you could build one yourself for cheaper unless you've already got the parts.

However, if you are spending $200 on JBLs, it doesn't cost all that much more to enter the big leagues of ASIO drivers and fully balanced, professional audio: https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-U-PHORIA-UMC202HD-U-Phoria/dp/B00SAV0VP0 Then later on you can add professional microphone.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:42 pm

At this point I feel an urge to report my own observations with studio monitor speakers in my rather peculiar shack.

My shack bench is located nearly smack in the middle of a large sunroom, roughly 15 feet from the front and back walls and several feet from either of the side walls. I've learned that speakers with rear-firing bass ports (like the JBLs) sound absolutely horrible in such a situation, because there's no effective shack wall to reflect the wave coming from the rear bass port of speakers on the bench. I had bought a pair of very nice (and expensive) Yamaha HS-7 studio reference monitors with rear-firing bass ports but had to return them because they just sounded so awful in my shack. At that point I decided to try out some speakers with front-firing bass ports. I learned that a group of sound engineers who had formerly worked for Harman (JBL's parent company) left the company and in 2018 formed their own company called Kali Audio and were offering 2 different families of studio monitors (2-way LP series and 3-way IN-series). Their LP-6 V2 is only slightly more expensive than the JBL-305.

So I bit the bullet and ordered some Kali speakers (not the LP-6 but the IN-8 V2, still with front-firing ports), and I'm extremely pleased with their performance in my shack.

On a related note, I found some very informative reviews of each of the speakers referenced here (the Kali LP-6 V2 and the JBL 305) written by the same reviewer, here are those links:

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudsp ... li_lp-6v2/

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudsp ... l_305pmk2/

NOTE: I have no affiliation at all with Kali Audio, I simply felt an obligation to report my observations in my own admittedly strange shack.

Mark
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:35 pm

K1LSB wrote:At this point I feel an urge to report my own observations with studio monitor speakers in my rather peculiar shack.

My shack bench is located nearly smack in the middle of a large sunroom, roughly 15 feet from the front and back walls and several feet from either of the side walls. I've learned that speakers with rear-firing bass ports (like the JBLs) sound absolutely horrible in such a situation, because there's no effective shack wall to reflect the wave coming from the rear bass port of speakers on the bench. I had bought a pair of very nice (and expensive) Yamaha HS-7 studio reference monitors with rear-firing bass ports but had to return them because they just sounded so awful in my shack. At that point I decided to try out some speakers with front-firing bass ports. I learned that a group of sound engineers who had formerly worked for Harman (JBL's parent company) left the company and in 2018 formed their own company called Kali Audio and were offering 2 different families of studio monitors (2-way LP series and 3-way IN-series). Their LP-6 V2 is only slightly more expensive than the JBL-305.

So I bit the bullet and ordered some Kali speakers (not the LP-6 but the IN-8 V2, still with front-firing ports), and I'm extremely pleased with their performance in my shack.

On a related note, I found some very informative reviews of each of the speakers referenced here (the Kali LP-6 V2 and the JBL 305) written by the same reviewer, here are those links:

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudsp ... li_lp-6v2/

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudsp ... l_305pmk2/

NOTE: I have no affiliation at all with Kali Audio, I simply felt an obligation to report my observations in my own admittedly strange shack.

Mark

Sorry I missed your comments. I missed out on the JBL 305's that I found. Yesterday, I went by my local Guitar Center and was about to buy a new set of JBL 305's that were on sale for $129.00 each. The department manager asked me if I might be interested in a used set of Tannoy Revel 501A powered speakers. He said they were just as good as the JBL speakers. He even demonstrated both for me. I honestly couldn't tell the difference. The Tannoy speakers have a front firing bass port unlike the JBL's. What finally persuaded me to give them a try, was the price for the pair was $169.00 (plus tax) and came with a 45 day no matter what return and refund policy. He said if I didn't like them, bring them back and I would get a full refund. The Tannoy powered studio monitors are made in the UK. Unfortunately, the company is going out of business. But, so far, I am impressed with how well they work with my 8000DLE and getting audio via VAC thru my pc. They work much better than the Boise Companion II powered speakers I have been using for years.
Thank you for adding in your setup it is interesting as well.
James
WD5GWY
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:46 pm

James,

Very glad you got a great deal on some speakers that you really like, that's what's important!

Mark

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”