HEIL PRO 7 Headset and G2 no display

W1SWL

HEIL PRO 7 Headset and G2 no display

Postby W1SWL » Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:35 pm

Hi:
As a new G2 owner, I am about to attempt to hook up my HEIL PRO-7 dynamic headset (Mic and Headphones) to the G2's rear MIC port which is 1/8" or 3.5mm.

Looking at the Mic Jack on the PRO 7, it is a simple 3.5mm TS plug. Bill Diaz posted a G2 Microphone Examples diagram and as I understand that I need a 3.5mm TRS Stereo Breakout Adaptor with the T and S of the PRO 7 going to the TS of the adapter.

Then, I need to ground the other female port of the TRS Breakout adaptor such that the R (ring) is going to ground.

So to that end I did make up such a breakout adaptor.

Looking at Bill's example, (I have attached it below) where should I attach the ground wire to the G2? I could go to the rear ground wing-nut on the radio.

If any of you have integrated a PRO 7 to the G2 I would be greatly appreciative to hear from you.

Thanks 73
Art W1SWL
Attachments
G2 MIC and Headphone Connections.jpg
G2 MIC and Headphone Connections.jpg (347.41 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
w-u-2-o

Re: HEIL PRO 7 Headset and G2 no display

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:52 pm

W1SWL wrote:Hi:
As a new G2 owner, I am about to attempt to hook up my HEIL PRO-7 dynamic headset (Mic and Headphones) to the G2's rear MIC port which is 1/8" or 3.5mm.

Looking at the Mic Jack on the PRO 7, it is a simple 3.5mm TS plug. Bill Diaz posted a G2 Microphone Examples diagram and as I understand that I need a 3.5mm TRS Stereo Breakout Adaptor with the T and S of the PRO 7 going to the TS of the adapter.

Yes, but...to make things easy you are probably better off buying an adapter that provides a 3.5mm plug or jack for every connector. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Plated-Connector-Splitter-RFAdapter-Headphone/dp/B096XNHTH3

With that adapter the mic of the Pro-7 will connect to the left (red) side, and a PTT switch will connect to the right (white) side.

Then, I need to ground the other female port of the TRS Breakout adaptor such that the R (ring) is going to ground.

Yes, for an external PTT switch. Ring grounded = transmit. Ring floating = receive.

So to that end I did make up such a breakout adaptor.

Good on ya'! So many hams don't seem to be able to make cables these days :)

Looking at Bill's example, (I have attached it below) where should I attach the ground wire to the G2? I could go to the rear ground wing-nut on the radio.

You haven't described your adapter, but if it is based on a standard, store-bought adapter as shown in Bill's illustration, or as I suggested above, then ground will appear on the shield of the PTT side connector of the adapter so all you need to do is short the shield and the tip there and the radio will go into transmit.

Don't forget to go into Thetis > Setup > H/W Select and set Mic = Tip, Bias = Off, PTT = On.
W1SWL

Postby W1SWL » Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:53 pm

Thanks for that last tip.... pun intended... I did not check the PTT and was not getting any power out. Thanks for that.
Now I have to set up the microphone.
In the Pinned post here on Mics/Speakers/Audio
there is a mention of some pinned posts for audio setup but I seem to not be Able to find them???
Art W1SWL
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:12 pm

The audio stuff goes all the way back to PowerSDR, and a lot was written about it in the PowerSDR sub-forum. Look for the pinned posts there, in particular the first one.

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”