Powered Speaker for my setup !!

N7CXI

Re: Powered Speaker for my setup !!

Postby N7CXI » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:18 pm

Thanks, Scott.

That schematic is something of a revelation. I'll build a new 3.5mm cable and if the issue persists, open the rig and touch up the relevant solder joints.

Jim N7CXI
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:40 pm

Ok, now I'm a little confused.

My 7000DLE MKII (no PC) has:
(2) 1/4" speaker jacks on the rear panel, marked "L SPK" and "R SPK"
(1) 1/8 (3.5mm) jack on the rear panel, marked "HP"
(1) 1/4" Headphone jack on the front panel.

Note the 7000DLE MKII 'user guide' from the Apache Labs site shows the rear-panel 3.5mm jack as being labeled "AUDIO", and is referred to in the legend as "PC Audio". On my rig it's labeled "HP".

The schematic snippet shows only one "headphone" output, (wired L+,-) with no ground reference. I have two outputs labeled "Headphone" and "HP", one 1/4" on the front panel, and one 1/8" on the rear panel.

If this schematic snippet is correct, the 1/8" jack is left-channel audio only, balanced output with no ground reference.
Is that correct?
If so, I've been going about this all wrong. I don't believe I've damaged the TPA0202 because both speaker outputs still work correctly...

I'm surprised this hasn't been more of an issue, unless I'm being particularly thick-headed...

Thanks,
Jim N7CXI
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:27 pm

Jim,

Both of the headphone outputs are wired in parallel and are fed by the headphone output of the TLV320AIC23B audio CODEC chip in the 7000 (and every other ANAN series unit from the Hermes on up). Both left and right channels are supported on the headphone output.

See this other topic: https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2612&p=4075

Both of the left and right line outputs of the TLV320AIC23B are sent to the TPA0202. Both left and right channels are supported on the powered speaker outputs of the 7000.

Both the left and right line outputs of the TLV320AIC23B are paralleled out to the accessory connector of every ANAN series unit except the 7000 and 8000. However, these signals are available on the J16 ribbon cable that leaves the Orion MKII board and goes to the rear panel connector board.

To more fully understand the circuitry, the CODEC and TPA0202 circuit is exactly the same on all ANAN units from the Hermes on up. You can look at any of the older schematics posted here and see this. The only thing that is different on the 7000 and 8000 is the rear panel connectorization.

Scott
Dave30019

Postby Dave30019 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:11 pm

Jim,

You have a Black 7000DLE MKII? I have one too, one month old. My FRONT headphone jack is 1/8" or 3.5mm not 1/4" like you said. I have no rear 'HP' connection, what is that for?
I use the front 1/8" headphone jack with my Powered PC stereo speakers except for occasional static it works great.

Dave
k4em
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:26 pm

Thanks for the replies, gents.

Scott:
" Both left and right channels are supported on the headphone output."
Ok, but that's not what the schematic snippet you posted shows. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but the snippet shows the 3.5mm headphone connector driven only from the left channel, with no ground reference. The 3.5mm rear-panel "AUDIO" connector can't be paralleled from the speaker outputs, since in actuality its referenced to ground and provides a fairly low-level (but in my case a little noisy) output. ???

Dave ( K4EM ) :
No, mine is silver. You're the first person I've heard of that has the new black-cased rig. Congrats!

Jim N7CXI
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:29 pm

N7CXI wrote:" Both left and right channels are supported on the headphone output."
Ok, but that's not what the schematic snippet you posted shows. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but the snippet shows the 3.5mm headphone connector driven only from the left channel, with no ground reference. The 3.5mm rear-panel "AUDIO" connector can't be paralleled from the speaker outputs, since in actuality its referenced to ground and provides a fairly low-level (but in my case a little noisy) output. ???
My apologies. While I pointed you at the full schematic that is available for the other ANAN models, it would appear I did not emphasis the necessity of that strongly enough. Again, to more fully understand the circuitry, the CODEC and TPA0202 circuit is exactly the same on all ANAN units from the Hermes on up, please look at any of the older schematics posted here. The only thing that is different on the 7000 and 8000 is the rear panel connectorization.

To add just a bit more clarity, that snippet of the TPA0202 chip only shows just a part of the story. That 3.5mm audio connector is a speaker output on certain older ANAN models (remember that I said they are all the same except for front and rear panel connectorization). On the 7000 and 8000 J8 and J9 are jumpered over to the rear panel connector board and J27 does not exist. The headphone outputs, of any size or location, are all fed directly from the CODEC IC on all ANAN models. Look at those schematics.
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:37 am

Aha. That's what I get for speed-reading.
Thanks for the patience. I have a few ANAN schematics in the archives, I'll go take a look.

Jim N7CXI
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:22 am

N7CXI wrote:Aha. That's what I get for speed-reading.
Thanks for the patience. I have a few ANAN schematics in the archives, I'll go take a look.
"Archives"? It would appear you did not notice I posted a link to all the schematics except the 7000 and 8000, either.
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:21 pm

I meant *my* archives. I've owned quite a few ANAN rigs and have had reason to archive schematics. When I get a few minutes (assuming that happens) I'll request a copy for ny current rig.

Thanks for the help.

Jim N7CXI
tomsttsa

Postby tomsttsa » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:50 pm

Just to verify, the 1/4" l & R jacks on the rear panel cannot drive a regular unpowered speaker? I plugged speakers in (mono plug), and I get no audio out. Or is the a setting in the setup for this..thanks

Using a 7000DLE without internal pc
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:17 pm

tomsttsa wrote:Just to verify, the 1/4" l & R jacks on the rear panel cannot drive a regular unpowered speaker?

That is not correct. They exist to ONLY drive un-powered speakers.

I plugged speakers in (mono plug), and I get no audio out.

You are not using the correct connectors. See this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3149&p=8282
tomsttsa

Postby tomsttsa » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:44 pm

Thanks for the reply, I have it working now. What prompted this, was some audio clicks I could hear especially when using the NR and NR2 selections, I did look around on the forums and I noticed that a recent update to win10 may be the culprit. I also hear the intermittent clicks on the speaker as well. I also have a flex 6300 and the anan switchable to the same antenna. I can report that according to my ear, the anan seems to have a slightly better receiver.
73 Tom
tomsttsa

Postby tomsttsa » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:59 pm

Upon further investigation I have found the source of the clicks etc on the audio, believe it or not, it's the action of the mouse wheel and firefox, when displaying a page where it is necessary to use the scroll wheel, like a swap shop etc, I hear the intermittent clicks and noises on the anan audio. Stop using the mouse and quit firefox, the issue disappears. So a few things to try like re-routing the various usb wires for the mouse and the powered speakers, maybe try a wireless mouse. But I'm happy it isn't an issue with the radio itself.. thanks for the help :D
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:41 pm

Those clicks are most likely because your PC is not powerful enough to process loading Firefox web pages while running real time IF and AF processing in the radio software. Check how much CPU your PC is using to run both.
KF4HR

Postby KF4HR » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:11 am

I'm currently using a Flex-6700 with Audioengine A5+ powered speakers. The connection between my Flex and these speakers was simple, just a 3.5mm stereo plug from the main Audioengine A5+ speaker, to the rig.

I have a 7000DLE MkII (Black) on order and I'm considering a pair of JBL 305P MkII's for this rig. Looking at 7000DLE MkII photos I do not see a stereo output jack on the back of this rig. Is it safe to assume the R-SPK and L-SPK 1/4" jacks are the speaker outputs for the powered speakers? And if so, can I assume I will to buy or home brew cables to connect the ANAN to the JBL's?

Also when you buy a pair of JBL 305 MkII's is there an amplifier in each speaker enclosure, or does the speaker pair share an amplifier circuit?

TIA

Butch, KF4HR
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:23 am

KF4HR wrote:Is it safe to assume the R-SPK and L-SPK 1/4" jacks are the speaker outputs for the powered speakers?

Hi Butch,

The 1/4" jacks you mention above are strictly for non-powered speakers. For your powered speakers you will want to use the 3.5mm stereo headphone jack on the front panel.

73, Bryan W4WMT
AG5CK

Postby AG5CK » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:48 pm

KF4HR wrote:I'm currently using a Flex-6700 with Audioengine A5+ powered speakers. The connection between my Flex and these speakers was simple, just a 3.5mm stereo plug from the main Audioengine A5+ speaker, to the rig.

I have a 7000DLE MkII (Black) on order and I'm considering a pair of JBL 305P MkII's for this rig. Looking at 7000DLE MkII photos I do not see a stereo output jack on the back of this rig. Is it safe to assume the R-SPK and L-SPK 1/4" jacks are the speaker outputs for the powered speakers? And if so, can I assume I will to buy or home brew cables to connect the ANAN to the JBL's?

Also when you buy a pair of JBL 305 MkII's is there an amplifier in each speaker enclosure, or does the speaker pair share an amplifier circuit?

TIA

Butch, KF4HR

Each speaker has its own amplifier. This cable is what I use. It plugs into the headphone jack on the anan and splits the left and right channels to each speaker. 73

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0824X47X9/re ... UTF8&psc=1
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:55 pm

Butch,

From that statement, it would appear that you just dropped this post at the bottom of a topic that sounded appropriate (it is) but did not bother to actually read the topic. If you read the topic you will fully understand what those connectors are for, what they aren't for, and how they work. That's what a forum like this is for. It makes the information available without even having to ask for it.

Have you even looked at a photo of the 305's? This is a question that answers itself.

If you are happy with them I'd have to recommend that you simply share the speakers you have with the new radio, or maybe buy another pair of the same. Not only are they familiar to you, but they also avoid the challenge of converting the unbalanced stereo output of the 7000 to a pair of balanced mono outputs necessary to connect to the 305's. If you do want to tackle this challenge, see this topic. Although that topic is about microphones, the principles are the same.
KF4HR

Postby KF4HR » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:34 pm

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Butch, KF4HR
WR4N

Postby WR4N » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:04 am

AG5CK wrote:
KF4HR wrote:I'm currently using a Flex-6700 with Audioengine A5+ powered speakers. The connection between my Flex and these speakers was simple, just a 3.5mm stereo plug from the main Audioengine A5+ speaker, to the rig.

TIA

Butch, KF4HR

Each speaker has its own amplifier. This cable is what I use. It plugs into the headphone jack on the anan and splits the left and right channels to each speaker. 73

I have the Black Version 7000DLE MKII & think you just greatly simplified my life! To be clear, a user will want to select the Dual XLR to 1/8” (plugged into front input) if he’s using a pair of powered JBL Monitors ... and that will automatically split the channels ... correct? (I just purchased a pair of powered JBL 305 MKII Studio Monitors). If using only one monitor, will I get sound from the pair?

Huge Help! Thanks
RADIO: ANAN 7000 DLE MK2 (Black Version) Thetis 2.8.11.
PC: HP Desktop - Intel Core i7 (10th Gen) - 16GB memory - 512GB SSD - Intel UHD Graphics 630 - WINDOWS 10 (100% Dedicated to ANAN)
PS: ASTRON 35 AMP (100% Dedicated to ANAN)

Best 73s,
WR4N - David
AG5CK

Postby AG5CK » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:44 am

WR4N wrote:
AG5CK wrote:

TIA

Butch, KF4HR

I have the Black Version 7000DLE MKII & think you just greatly simplified my life! To be clear, a user will want to select the Dual XLR to 1/8” (plugged into front input) if he’s using a pair of powered JBL Monitors ... and that will automatically split the channels ... correct? (I just purchased a pair of powered JBL 305 MKII Studio Monitors). If using only one monitor, will I get sound from the pair?

Huge Help! Thanks

Yes. The dual harness will split the headphone jack to the left and right speakers. If you get a hiss or him from the speakers try lifting the ground on the power cords of the speakers. The adapters that let you plug a cord with a ground pin into an old 2 prong outlet works.
WR4N

Postby WR4N » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:13 pm

AG5CK wrote:
WR4N wrote:
AG5CK wrote:

Huge Help! Thanks

Yes. The dual harness will split the headphone jack to the left and right speakers. If you get a hiss or him from the speakers try lifting the ground on the power cords of the speakers. The adapters that let you plug a cord with a ground pin into an old 2 prong outlet works.

Again, a Huge Help! Much Appreciated,
WR4N
PC: HP Desktop - Intel Core i7 (10th Gen) - 16GB memory - 512GB SSD - Intel UHD Graphics 630 - WINDOWS 10 (100% Dedicated to ANAN)

Best 73s,
WR4N - David
WR4N

Postby WR4N » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:28 pm

AG5CK wrote:
WR4N wrote:
AG5CK wrote:

Huge Help! Thanks

They only had a 3’ ... so I bought this one should anyone need a longer Dual XLR to 1/8” TRS Unbalanced ... to run powered speakers. (Yes, I know it’s costly). :roll:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... t-xlr-male

Best 73s,
WR4N - David
WR4N

Postby WR4N » Fri May 14, 2021 3:09 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Ben,

I would not buy anything from Heil, especially a speaker. They are not a speaker company. Lots of real speaker companies have forgotten more than Heil will ever know about speakers.

I am a huge proponent of buying high end speakers for amateur radio stations. Especially if you have a radio like ours that provides outstanding raw material for the speakers to reproduce.

I can't communicate except by English, but in English the search term you want is "powered studio monitors". Google search, Amazon search, etc.

If you have a musician's type of store near you, head down there and listen to a few. For US-based folks, a great place to do this is at any Guitar Center.

I would be willing to bet that almost any powered studio monitor from Amazon will be better, or at least a better value, than what Heil sells.

I have no experience except with JBL studio monitors. My station currently uses a pair of LSR305's, which are the older version of the new 305P. Buying those turned out to be the second most important thing I ever did in ham radio (the first was switching to a direct conversion SDR). Absolutely phenomenal sound. Listening is effortless. I never have to resort to headphones to make a contact anymore.

However, the JBL's do present a challenge in that they only provide a fully balanced audio connection, while all of the audio outputs of the ANAN series hardware are unbalanced. It just so happens that I use PC audio interface with balanced outputs, so that is not a problem for me. However, if you are using the headphone output of the ANAN hardware you will probably want to use a set of powered monitors that provides unbalanced inputs.

It's also worth noting that on the 7000 and 8000 series hardware Apache inexplicably did not provide external access to the left and right line level audio outputs from the Orion MKII SDR board. Since you cannot use the powered speaker outputs to run powered studio monitors, that limits you to using the headphone output. Either that, or modify the radio to bring out the line level signals from J16 on the Orion. Or do what some of us do, which is to run all of our audio through the PC using an interface like the Behringer UMC series interfaces (or similar).

Scott

I bought a set of JBL Studio Monitors and an unbalanced dual XLR to 1/8” for the front input. Works great and sounds awesome. An easy remedy for guys like me. (I got the idea from this forum but thought I’d confirm how well the simple setup works.)

Best 73s,
WR4N - David
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri May 14, 2021 4:23 pm

It's good to know that cable worked for you, thanks for posting a follow up. Those are some crazy good monitors, aren't they?
KF4HR

Postby KF4HR » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:47 pm

My ANAN 7000DLE MkII Black finally showed up the other day and I'm in the process of getting it wired up. Has anyone tried the KRK PR5 Rokit G4 Speakers with their ANAN, and if so, how did you like them?

Butch, KF4HR
KF4HR

Postby KF4HR » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:47 pm

I decided to give the KRK Rockit G4 powered speakers a try. These speakers are amazing although I discovered an issue on my new ANAN 7000DLE MkII Black Edition. The front 3.5mm jack seems to be a bit loose and in order to get a good connection to my powered speakers I have to wiggle the 3.5mm jack a bit. Depending on how I move the 3.5mm jack I either get a good connection, or intermittent audio or hum. I carefully have it situated and it's working at the moment, but something is amiss with this front 3.5mm earphone jack. I'm curious if anyone has had this issue, or what would be a good course of action?

(By the way, I tried these KRK speakers on my Flex-6700 and they work fine, so the issue isn't the speakers.)

TIA

Butch, KF4HR
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:08 pm

Using power studio monitors is an amazing difference compared to even the priciest "ham radio" or "communications" speakers, isn't it? :)

Given that the speakers, and cable, work 100% in other equipment, that would mean that the 3.5mm headphone jack on the ANAN is either faulty or that its solder connections are bad. If you are able to confirm this with, for example, a set of headphones, then based on how new the rig is you probably ought to seek warrantee service. W5WC runs the US service center and he is top notch.
KF4HR

Postby KF4HR » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:39 pm

Thanks Scott. Yes, these studio monitors are really nice. I've had a set of AudioEngine A5+ monitors on my Flex for about 4 years and they sound great. For my ANAN I thought I'd try a set of KRK 5" Rockit G4. They turned out to be amazing too. The KRK's even came with a LED EQ screens/adjustments on the back. The KRK's were a bit larger than I was expecting though.

I dropped W5WC an email asking him how I should proceed. Like I say I suspect I just have a bad solder joint or perhaps a bad physical ground connection on my ANAN's 3.5mm earphone jack, and I'm tempted to take it apart and see if it's something obvious, but for warranty purposes I thought it would be best to check with W5WC first to see what he recommends I do. (I've only had the 7000 about a week.)

Butch, KF4HR
KF4HR

Postby KF4HR » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:58 pm

Scott - do you have any contact information for W5WC? I tried his email on noted QRZ but no reply.

Butch, KF4HR

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”