How to live stream with headphones on?

LarryW

How to live stream with headphones on?

Postby LarryW » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:07 pm

Hello All,

Someone asked me If I would do a live stream during a local net. I said "Well maybe-if it is easy"!

So thinking about it a little, we would want to stream (go live) and hear both the audio from the rig and me talking into the mic. There is no audio on the shack per say because it's all going into my headset. I do have a little web camera laying about? It may be better to just capture the screen (radio/pan adapter) only.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Larry
7000 mkll Thetis v2.8.11 21k3
P2_v2.0b
Dell XPS 8930 i5-9400/Behringer 202HD/Audio-Technica BPHS2 headset, USB PTT, Behringer XR 12 (Rack in a Box)
w-u-2-o

Re: How to live stream with headphones on?

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:31 pm

Larry,

The solution is to use a mixer of some sort to capture both your transmit and receive audio. The mixer will mix/route your microphone audio to both the radio and the streaming software, and do the same in the other direction by mixing/routing your receive audio to your speakers/headphones and the streaming software.

You can do this with a hardware mixer that provides a USB output to your PC if you prefer. However, the 21st Century way to do this is with Voicemeeter Potato, a software mixer primarily designed for podcasting and streaming but equally at home for ham radio.

Using the VAC facility of Thetis (or PowerSDR) you route all TX and RX audio through Voicemeeter. You will, of course, also need to use a USB microphone or external USB sound interface to accept your microphone input.

Many people use the popular sound interfaces from Behringer, Presonus, M-Audio, and others, to work with some higher end speakers and mic's, but you can do very well with any USB headset. I've obtained very good reports even with a quite mundane Microsoft Lifechat headset.

Assign your USB mic to Voicemeeter hardware input A1, your USB (or built in) headset or speakers to Voicemeeter hardware output A1, your Thetis VAC interface RX and TX to Voicemeeter virtual channel B1, and click the right buttons in Voicemeeter.

I will often livestream my station, both the spectral display and audio, using OBS software. Voicemeeter provides the necessary mixing and routing to do this.

Scott
LarryW

Postby LarryW » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:13 pm

Thank you for the reply Scott! I kind of thought it would have something to do with VM. I have both it and OBS loaded and will play with them. Unfortunately for most of us, will need a step by step tutorial or close to it get it up and running. Will keep trying though-- maybe will get lucky!

Thanks
Larry
7000 mkll Thetis v2.8.11 21k3
P2_v2.0b
Dell XPS 8930 i5-9400/Behringer 202HD/Audio-Technica BPHS2 headset, USB PTT, Behringer XR 12 (Rack in a Box)
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:36 pm

Larry,

Remembering your other post this morning where you discussed using the Behringer interface and VAC successfully. So you are halfway there. You just need to get VMP (Voicemeeter Potato) in between.

In VMP, put the Behringer ASIO output on output A1. Put the Behringer ASIO mic input (left or right, as appropriate) on hardware input 1 (the left most slider channel). Turn on the A1 send button next to that first slider. That will route audio from that channel to output A1, just like on a real, physical mixing board. See if you can hear yourself on headphones that are plugged into the Behringer.

If you can, then so far, so good, and you are 3/4 of the way there. Post back on if you've got this working or not.
w9mdb

Postby w9mdb » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:03 pm

I'd like to try perhaps the Behringer X-USB -- not clear to me how to hook it up to the 7000DLE MKII.

Any information on how to do that?

Mike W9MDB
Mike W9MDB
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:44 pm

Mike,

Is your question about live streaming, or just about the X-USB?

If it's just about the X-USB, please start a new topic in this sub-forum: viewforum.php?f=12

Thanks,

Scott

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”