PTT in with Heil FS-3

Bagabonz

PTT in with Heil FS-3

Postby Bagabonz » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:41 pm

I probably misunderstood this, but I thought I could plug an FS-3 into the rear PTT in with a mono 1/4" to rca adapter and trigger the PTT from the footswitch? I have a 7000dle mkll and am using the Heil PM6 single ear headset plugged into the front. Perhaps I missed a menu setting or I'm just completely out to lunch.
w-u-2-o

Re: PTT in with Heil FS-3

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:44 pm

You've got two things going on that are incompatible with each other.

If you are plugging that 1/8" mono connector straight into the mic input on the front then you are shorting out the PTT circuit, which when Mic is selected at "Tip", then PTT is assigned to "Ring". Thus I'm guessing you went into General > H/W Select and set PTT to OFF. If you do that then no PTT input will work because the mic and rear panel inputs are wired in parallel on the Orion MKII board. IIRC, that they are wired together is not covered in any of the manuals :(

The solution is that you have to make a mono to stereo (TRS) adapter. Mono tip to stereo tip. Mono ring/shield to stereo shield. Stereo ring not connected to anything. Then enable PTT in setup.

This is probably the number one error made when interfacing a mic into an ANAN. The number two mistake is using a mic that has separate bias and mic connections on tip and ring. This is typical of computer mic's and also requires an adapter to sort out.

I'll be moving this discussion to the mic sub-forum in a day or so.
Bagabonz

Postby Bagabonz » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:28 pm

Thank you! I had a spare 1/8" stereo plug so I cut off the Heil mono plug and followed your instructions. Works like a champ now. :D
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:47 pm

:)

Moving to the mic forum...

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”