New Anan Owner Transmit Audio Question

N4KMG

New Anan Owner Transmit Audio Question

Postby N4KMG » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:18 am

Good Morning!

I am soon to be the owner of a Anan 8000 DLE. I am trying to decide if it is more advantageous to connect to my studio rack gear analog or digitally through an external sound card? I would appreciate your advice as I am a huge fan of transmit audio. If the digital route is advantageous, I am looking at this https://m-audio.com/air-192-4Thank you very much, and 73 de N4KMG

Wes Wingo
Tony EI7BMB

Re: New Anan Owner Transmit Audio Question

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:53 pm

Checkout the motu m2 or m4 also https://motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/
w9mdb

Postby w9mdb » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:18 pm

How does one hook this think up to the rig?
Mike W9MDB
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:26 pm

Wes,

Just for completeness. when coming out of the pro audio signal domain, i.e. fully balanced signals, to do the analog method properly there of course needs to be a balanced to unbalanced transformer between the output of external equipment and the left analog line input on the back of the 8000. People seem to have good success with 600 Ohm impedance, 1:1 audio transformers when doing this.

Pro's of the digital method:

- The digital method avoids many possible sources of RFI or grounding issues that might occur with the analog method.
- Theoretically the digital method will have better audio SNR.
- With properly tuned VAC settings the digital method can achieve lower latency.
- Once set up, the digital method will allow placing the 8000 far away from the PC and audio gear, only an Ethernet connection is needed.
- You can drive your speakers/monitors from the output of the digital interface also.
- Easy to integrate DAW software and the like, if desired.

Con's of the digital method:

- Initial setup and tuning of VAC parameters is more complex, especially if tuning for lowest latency.

Ultimately you might consider abandoning the rack. Thetis has built in no less than 3 stages of compression (leveler, 10-band semi-parametric compressor aka "CFC", and look-ahead soft limiter aka "ALC "), 2 stages of EQ (pre and post compression), phase rotator, look ahead VOX with sidechain processing, and a downward expander/noise gate.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:27 pm

w9mdb wrote:How does one hook this think up to the rig?

It does not attach to the ANAN. It attaches to your PC via a USB port. Then it is selected as the audio interface in Thetis VAC setup.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:35 pm

The external sound card connects to any USB port on the computer you will be using for the transceiver. You will route the audio internally via virtual audio cables (VAC) . I use an app called VoiceMeeter Potato for audio mixing. I know it is a strange name, but it is a very good and FREE product. I'm sure there are others here that would like to share their own ideas and products.
I have had a blast with the audio on my Anan.
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
N4KMG

Postby N4KMG » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:06 pm

Thank you very much gentlemen for all of your help and advice!

73 de N4KMG
Wes Wingo

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”