USB mics straight into PC

JJ4SDR

USB mics straight into PC

Postby JJ4SDR » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:07 pm

I have been using MICs that feature XLR connectors plugged into USB/Audio interface for a long time with really good results so far.

Is there a way to "simplify" the way one routes audio from the MIC into Thetis? Could one plug a USB Mic straight into the PC that runs Thetis (and DAW and/or VST Host software), making the USB/Audio interface unnecessary? On the other hand, I tend to think that the quality of a separate USB/Audio interface is higher so I have been a little hesitant to try this, or perhaps I am mistaken in my thinking.

Juha
PC: 8 Core i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz, NVMe SK Hynix 512 GB SSD, 32GB RAM
Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
w-u-2-o

Re: USB mics straight into PC

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:14 pm

You can certainly use a USB microphone, but you will have to give up ASIO and it's latency advantages because, AFAIK, there are no ASIO-capable USB mic's.

That said, there are a lot of outstanding USB mic's from the likes of Rode and others.

However, you are correct in your assertion that the fancy USB audio interfaces will provide better quality. And ASIO ;)

If you are running Voicemeeter between your audio devices and Thetis you can mix and match to your heart's content.
w4bf

Postby w4bf » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:24 pm

I've been using a usb mic since day one with a 7000.

It is one of the bid "condenser" mikes sold on Ebay for under $30, complete with boom, etc. Straight into USB port on computer. Mine is sold under the name "IKEDON".

I get constant unsolicited complements on audio quality - of course the equalizer and CFC tools in Thetis help all this.

Biggest benefit is no RF feedback via microphone like I used to have with a KW amp and old analog mics. This one is in all aluminum housing with nothing in or out but the USB cable.
KA9UVY

Postby KA9UVY » Mon May 22, 2023 6:15 pm

I have a USB mic coming in to try on my 7000DLE and want to keep it simple, USB mic selected as VAC input, no voicemeeter banana, or tater.
I have a few questions about setup going this way. I see the selection of (mic in) (line in) in the transmit tab but not a selection to use VAC? Do you leave one of these selected and just turn on VAC? Do you have to use VAC 1, VAC 2 or does it matter? I have already assigned VAC 1 for Digital operating and have it auto come on when DIGU is selected for FT8. I could use VAC 2 for DIGI if need be since I listen to the radio through the front panel headphone jack. So one VAC is available.

Thanks, 73 Robert
KA9UVY
Anan 7000DLE- MKIII
Thetis 2.10.3.5 u2
FW 2.2.2A
Protocol 2 v 3.9

73, Robert
KA9UVY
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon May 22, 2023 10:25 pm

Robert,

Read the article linked in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2655

It's a pretty old, but it covers the basics.

After reading that come back and post any remaining questions you may have.

Scott
KA9UVY

Postby KA9UVY » Mon May 22, 2023 10:41 pm

Will do...

Thanks Scott, 73
Anan 7000DLE- MKIII
Thetis 2.10.3.5 u2
FW 2.2.2A
Protocol 2 v 3.9

73, Robert
KA9UVY
KA9UVY

Postby KA9UVY » Tue May 23, 2023 4:21 am

Well, It was pretty basic and for powerSDR so had no specific info on Thetis. I know they are very similar in VAC setup but it didn't really answer any of my questions... Anybody want to take a swing at them ?, please read my original post above. I'm certainly no guru on this subject but I am using VAC and routed Thetis and WSJT-X to some virtual cables and all works well so I have the basics and need some specifics on USB mic for TX audio and if it will be able to coexist with my FT8 setup on VAC1?
It looks more and more like I will have to use voicemeeter Potato to make everything play along but I hold out hope that I can keep it simple and just direct Thetis to use the USB mic via the VAC 2 settings and move on.
Thanks, 73

Robert
KA9UVY
Anan 7000DLE- MKIII
Thetis 2.10.3.5 u2
FW 2.2.2A
Protocol 2 v 3.9

73, Robert
KA9UVY
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue May 23, 2023 11:58 am

KA9UVY wrote:Well, It was pretty basic and for powerSDR so had no specific info on Thetis.

Both programs work exactly the same. Both programs have the same differences from when that paper was written. The major difference since that paper was written was the addition of the resampler function to VA. This makes section 7 of the paper somewhat obsolete.

I know they are very similar in VAC setup but it didn't really answer any of my questions

Your questions were:

I see the selection of (mic in) (line in) in the transmit tab but not a selection to use VAC?

Not covered in the paper because it's a "don't care, doesn't matter", it doesn't have anything to do with VAC.

Do you have to use VAC 1, VAC 2 or does it matter? I have already assigned VAC 1 for Digital operating and have it auto come on when DIGU is selected for FT8. I could use VAC 2 for DIGI if need be since I listen to the radio through the front panel headphone jack. So one VAC is available.

The rules for this are covered in great detail in section 3 of the paper.

To switch between the mic and digi modes you will have to manually reconfigure VAC1 every time. Only VAC1 supports transmit.

This is where using an external audio mixing/routing app like Voicemeeter can make things much more convenient.
KA9UVY

Postby KA9UVY » Tue May 23, 2023 6:17 pm

OK Scott, Went through the paper again, this time with some understanding that you can only use Vac1... Looks like I will have to go with Voicemeeter to get everything playing,
Now 2 more questions:
Not sure which one to go with? Banana or Potato?, and Why?
And even though I see a checkbox in Thetis that says " allow ptt to ovveride/bypass VAC for Phone" am I going to loose PTT from the jack on the back of my 7000?

Thanks Again, 73
Robert
KA9UVY
Anan 7000DLE- MKIII
Thetis 2.10.3.5 u2
FW 2.2.2A
Protocol 2 v 3.9

73, Robert
KA9UVY
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue May 23, 2023 8:22 pm

The only difference between Banana and Potato is the number of channels. I like Potato because I can assign one virtual channel to VAC1, another to VAC2, and the third to whatever digi mode software I'm using. Then I can mix and route without limit. And, at the same time, I can have a mic on the first hardware input channel. Finally, I listen on my computer speakers, so I also assign hardware output A1 (you have to anyway, Voicemeeter requires that as the initial assignment).

The idea behind the "override" options comes from waaaay back in the days of the Flex version of PowerSDR. The Flex engineers, and later the openHPSDR designers, felt that mic's and speakers had to be attached to the hardware box (which by itself is not a radio, don't forget). In the case of early openHPSDR development I understand there was some fear factor about requiring audio to be in the same clock domain as the RF. Anyhow, the idea was that you used VAC1 for voice keying (e.g. with N1MM logger) during contests, but then you used a PTT control and the mic plugged into the hardware unit (Flex or Apache) would be used in lieu of VAC audio. The three options allow you to choose which of the various PTT controls will cause that behavior. If you are planning to fully virtualize your audio (exclusively use VAC) then you want none of them checked as there is no mic plugged into your ANAN. When you hit your foot switch or whatever it will send VAC audio as long as none of those options are checked.

Note you can also virtualize your PTT switch. There are directions for that in the paper. I am fully virtualized here. All RF hardware is in the basement, my computer and where I operate from is a second floor studio/office. My qrz page has more info.

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”