Delay between ptt and power out in ssb

Brian7000DLE

Delay between ptt and power out in ssb

Postby Brian7000DLE » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:02 am

Delay between the ptt and the power out in ssb. Watching the thetis forward power and the external power meter there is a delay, about 2 seconds. I key the radio with the rca in the rear of the radio and the radio is hooked to the 1G fios, not to the pc. Tried to adjust the rf delay and also with and without DUP selected, no change. I spoke with another person on 40m and they said they had that problem also but forgot how to correct it. mic input is in the front with trs, no audio problems. With or without the amp it does the same.
Anan 7000DLE MK2 with thetis 2.9.0.0.6
w-u-2-o

Re: Delay between ptt and power out in ssb

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:51 pm

What happens if you use the MOX button to key the radio?
Brian7000DLE

Postby Brian7000DLE » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:41 am

w-u-2-o wrote:What happens if you use the MOX button to key the radio?

When I use the mox it works like it should. No delay.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:05 pm

Brian7000DLE wrote:

If that works then the problem is most likely in your PTT wiring to the ANAN.

This is very similar to this topic: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4290&p=21517

How is your PTT input wired? What microphone are you using and how is it wired? Specifics are needed, what signals go to which pins exactly?

And, in Setup > General > H/W Select, what are the settings in the "Hardware Options" section for Mic, Bias and PTT?
Brian7000DLE

Postby Brian7000DLE » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:19 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
Brian7000DLE wrote:

If that works then the problem is most likely in your PTT wiring to the ANAN.

This is very similar to this topic: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4290&p=21517

How is your PTT input wired? What microphone are you using and how is it wired? Specifics are needed, what signals go to which pins exactly?

And, in Setup > General > H/W Select, what are the settings in the "Hardware Options" section for Mic, Bias and PTT?

OK, I read the article you mentioned with N4KMG. I also run the w2ihy 8 band with the EQ plus bt W2IHY. the mic cable on mine is made by Julius Jones that feeds into the front of my radio that was made for my flex 6400 that i had on hand. the key switch is a hand held Heil that goes direct to the rear ptt rca.. The microphone is a Heil PR-40. I'm unable to say how the mic cable is wired. i'm unable to post the screen shot of the hardware settings as i don't know how.
mic: tip
Bias: off
Ptt: on
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:59 pm

That Flex cable is most likely the problem. You can prove that by removing the cable from the front panel mic connector and using your hand PTT switch to demonstrate instant PTT.

You don't need the W2IHY box since there is a better EQ, compressor and expander built into Thetis.

You can build or buy a cable to either connect the PR40 directly to the 7000, or to properly attach the EQPlus to the 7000, your choice.

I've never owned a W2IHY box. However, looking at the EQPlus manual downloaded from the W2IHY website, on page 24 the "LOW Z Single channel Input
to Computer Sound Card" configuration looks like it might work.

Bottom line: with the Mic set to "tip", the ring of the TRS (tip, ring shield) mic connector is attached to PTT. Nothing except a PTT switch can touch the ring of the front panel connector (or just leave it unconnected).
Brian7000DLE

Postby Brian7000DLE » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:35 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:That Flex cable is most likely the problem. You can prove that by removing the cable from the front panel mic connector and using your hand PTT switch to demonstrate instant PTT.

You don't need the W2IHY box since there is a better EQ, compressor and expander built into Thetis.

You can build or buy a cable to either connect the PR40 directly to the 7000, or to properly attach the EQPlus to the 7000, your choice.

I've never owned a W2IHY box. However, looking at the EQPlus manual downloaded from the W2IHY website, on page 24 the "LOW Z Single channel Input
to Computer Sound Card" configuration looks like it might work.

Bottom line: with the Mic set to "tip", the ring of the TRS (tip, ring shield) mic connector is attached to PTT. Nothing except a PTT switch can touch the ring of the front panel connector (or just leave it unconnected).

OK. talked with Julius from W2IHY he said the mic. cable is correct and trouble shooting it over the phone came to the conclusion that switching the 3 position switch from position 1 to plugging it into position 2 mic line out the mic cable out to the radio solved it . same circuit , maybe dirty contact on that mic out switch ? or contacts on the line out outlet. simple and all fixed. BTW it wasn't the timing of the ptt it was the timing between the ptt and the drive.

Thanks for the time Scott.

Brian

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”