Dynamic vs. Condenser Microphone

WT4DX

Dynamic vs. Condenser Microphone

Postby WT4DX » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:14 pm

I’m new to the ANAN platform, as I await the arrival of the G2.

I’m currently running an RE27N/D, and I’m considering stretching out and possibly trying a condenser microphone.

However, I do have concerns running a condenser mic with the background noise and the room effects found in a ham radio station.

Ultimately the dynamic microphone may be the better choice, and depending on the processing capabilities in Thetis, it may not matter whether the mic is a dynamic or a condenser? I don’t have experience in this arena.

For those running condenser microphones, how well does the noise gate/ downward expander in Thetis work in metering and dampening background noise?

At the end of the day this may be a case of “if it’s not broke don’t fix it”, and I’ll just keep running the RE27N/D.

Tem
WT4DX
W1AEX

Re: Dynamic vs. Condenser Microphone

Postby W1AEX » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:32 am

Hi Tem,

I have always used a Marshall MXL-770 studio condenser mic with my ANAN and have had very good results. The downside with that mic is exactly what you mentioned, all the background noise that it picks up. The downward expander in Thetis can certainly restrain the influence of background noise but I try to avoid situations where I have to invoke that.

Recently, I picked up a Marshall MXL-BCD1 studio dynamic mic and I love it. It's certainly not in the same class as your RE27 but it sounds very clean and people I chat with on the air like it. The BCD-1 picks up far less background noise than the condenser and handles the usual close-talk proximity effects that dynamics exhibit adequately. After fussing around with my TX profiles I am leaning towards running with the dynamic at this point.

I bet if you buy a condenser mic that you will enjoy playing with it but I bet you'll go back to the dynamic!

73, Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
WT4DX

Postby WT4DX » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:13 am

Thank you for the feedback Rob, and I had another friend tell me the same thing about the condenser microphone. He ultimately went back to a dynamic.

Thanks again,

Tem
WT4DX
Ernie

Postby Ernie » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:28 am

Hi Tem,

I have a 7000DLE and an RE27N/D. I have run it straight into the front of the radio with great results, but now I use a Behringer UMC202HD USB sound interface with excellent results too. I have a pair of amplified speakers, Fostex 6301B's. These do all my PC sound though the Behringer. No fancy word clocks here. It's a great combination!

Ernie
W2FMU
K8EZB

Postby K8EZB » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:36 pm

I am using both an EV RE27 and Behringer B1 condenser mic with my 7000DLE Mk II and getting excellent results with both using VAC only. The room in which my station is located is large and not acoustically "friendly" due to high ceilings and bare walls/floors, but the room noise level is generally low. It was necessary to do some experimenting with the audio setup for each mic to get the results I wanted ; I am using DEXP with both mics. I do have a slight preference for the "brighter" sound of the condenser mic. The B1 at street price of $99 including mount, muff, and hard case is a screaming buy IMHO.

Rick
K8EZB
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:53 pm

Yes, what Rick said. The condenser mic's are screaming deals compared to the dynamic mics and provide a nearly flat, uncolored frequency response. If you do your part to set up the mic so that you are talking into it from just a few inches away it can eliminate a lot of the sensitivity issues. It can help to use on of those disc type pop filters to keep a consistent distance and you really need one anyway with a large diameter condenser mic.

Because they are so cheap, with a half dozen great choices right around $100, it doesn't cost a lot to experiment.
Ng5u

Postby Ng5u » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:17 pm

I didn’t know anything about this other than reading what Scott has and listening to his advice. I ended up with a AT2020 condenser mic, and a Presonus 26c that provides ASIO drivers for future CW needs when I get my Anan. The audio interface provides excellent line level audio out and balanced inputs and outputs for mics and speakers. The software that came with my Presonus is simply amazing. I used the noise gate plugin which effectively kills the background noise, and a physical pop filter along with some EQ in the software and I’m interfacing that via line out to my Icom 7610. I don’t have an Anan yet, but it’s very possible to use a condenser mic with the appropriate software either with some type of DAW like Presonus has , or with an Anan, inside Thetis to minimize the issues that arise with a condenser mic. If I can learn this, you can too, and it’s been a great experience making this work so far. Last night I made several contacts on 20M DX and got several reports of great audio and a booming sound completely unsolicited. Why? Because very few hams take the time to understand their TX audio or go to this level to make it better. That’s fine and it works good enough, but if you really want to make yourself sound good, you can absolutely do it with either type of mic, and the tools are there to handle the side effects of a condenser mic. For the money, it can’t be beat in my opinion.
WT4DX

Postby WT4DX » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:13 pm

Ng5u wrote:I didn’t know anything about this other than reading what Scott has and listening to his advice. I ended up with a AT2020 condenser mic, and a Presonus 26c that provides ASIO drivers for future CW needs when I get my Anan. The audio interface provides excellent line level audio out and balanced inputs and outputs for mics and speakers. The software that came with my Presonus is simply amazing. I used the noise gate plugin which effectively kills the background noise, and a physical pop filter along with some EQ in the software and I’m interfacing that via line out to my Icom 7610. I don’t have an Anan yet, but it’s very possible to use a condenser mic with the appropriate software either with some type of DAW like Presonus has , or with an Anan, inside Thetis to minimize the issues that arise with a condenser mic. If I can learn this, you can too, and it’s been a great experience making this work so far. Last night I made several contacts on 20M DX and got several reports of great audio and a booming sound completely unsolicited. Why? Because very few hams take the time to understand their TX audio or go to this level to make it better. That’s fine and it works good enough, but if you really want to make yourself sound good, you can absolutely do it with either type of mic, and the tools are there to handle the side effects of a condenser mic. For the money, it can’t be beat in my opinion.

Specifically, how do you have your IC-7610 interfaced with your PreSonus? Balanced or unbalanced?

I have an IC-7610 as well, and a PreSonus Quantum 2 that just arrived today.

Tem
WT4DX
Ng5u

Postby Ng5u » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:26 am

Ok. I have the line out connected to an audio isolation transformer ($10) and from there into this adapter…

http://www.vibroplex.com/contents/en-us/p3313.html

My Presonus 26C has line outs in the back. I used a 1/4 inch balanced TRS connector to a step down 1/8 into the transformer and from there into the icom adapter. It sounds like a lot, but it just works once you get it hooked up and you don’t touch it again. The isolator I used is this.

[url] https://www.amazon.com/Smof-Isolator-Sp ... d1&pf_rd_r
[/url]

Joe
NG5U
WT4DX

Postby WT4DX » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:31 am

Ng5u wrote:Ok. I have the line out connected to an audio isolation transformer ($10) and from there into this adapter…

http://www.vibroplex.com/contents/en-us/p3313.html

My Presonus 26C has line outs in the back. I used a 1/4 inch balanced TRS connector to a step down 1/8 into the transformer and from there into the icom adapter. It sounds like a lot, but it just works once you get it hooked up and you don’t touch it again. The isolator I used is this.

[url] https://www.amazon.com/Smof-Isolator-Sp ... d1&pf_rd_r
[/url]

Joe
NG5U

Awesome, and thanks for sharing Joe.

Tem
WT4DX
Ng5u

Postby Ng5u » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:43 am

Sure. Feel free to email me anytime. We are all learning together. I intend on running both radios once I eventually get my Anan. That’s why I put a good bit of effort in this but it’s been really enjoyable to me too.

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”