Thetis 2.9.0.6, ASIO, and VM Potato with WSJT-X & Map65

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
W9IP

Thetis 2.9.0.6, ASIO, and VM Potato with WSJT-X & Map65

Postby W9IP » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:58 pm

Dear friends,
In an effort to reduce TX latency, I would like to use ASIO drivers with Voicemeeter Potato. I have previously "wired" all the software in the title using MME and/or VM's Audio Cables. ASIO in contrast has proven to be frustrating.
In order to expose an ASIO driver, I plugged in my Beringer UMC204HD. It has no cables wired to it besides the USB power.
I selected ASIO: UMC ASIO driver under the A1 hardware output menu in VM Potato (VMP). In Thetis, I selected ASIO for the VAC1 driver. For input & output, the only way I have found to get ASIO RX audio out of Thetis is to select identical input & output drivers:
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (14.89 KiB) Viewed 2839 times

I can get Thetix RX audio through VMP and out to speakers and WSJT-X but I can't seem to get WSJT-X or Map65 TX audio *into* Thetis.
I have read the several threads in this forum that pertain to ASIO as well as suffered through a bunch of YouTube videos... after about six hours, I'm asking for some suggestions.
To clarify: I want to connect TX & RX audio to/from Thetis to WSJT-X or Map65 with as little latency as possible. I presume that this means using ASIO drivers. Neither WSJT-X or Map65 support ASIO directly (I think) so VMP has to be in the mix.
Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Mike, W9IP
w-u-2-o

Re: Thetis 2.9.0.6, ASIO, and VM Potato with WSJT-X & Map65

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:37 am

You can use ASIO to make a connection between Thetis and Voicemeeter, and between Voicemeeter and the Behringer, thereby significantly reducing latency for phone operations. Your approach of using the Behringer to get ASIO running properly in Voicemeeter is 100% correct.

Selecting identical Voicemeeter devices (not drivers--ASIO is the selected driver) in Thetis is the correct method. In Voicemeeter, audio routed to that device (in your example that would be channel B2) will go to Thetis, and audio coming from that device (again, B2) is RX1 audio and can be routed wherever you like in Voicemeeter. That is the only allowable method for, and a limitation of, an ASIO connection whereas MME and WDM can have different device selections. This is not something that is unique to Voicemeeter or Thetis, it's part and parcel of the ASIO standard.

You can NOT use ASIO to make a connection to any currently available digi mode software. No available digi mode software supports it. That includes WSJT-X and Map65. Most of the digi mode software uses MME, some might use WDM. The good news is that Voicemeeter doesn't care. It will happily route MME (or whatever) connections to your super fast Voicemeeter-ASIO-Thetis connection.

To get digi mode software properly routed in Voicemeeter, you need to assign the digi mode sound interfaces to another virtual channel, for instance channel B1, Voicemeeter VAIO (yeah, the naming conventions suck). Assign BOTH RX and TX to the same Voicemeeter device.

Assuming you assigned the digi mode software to B1, and Thetis to B2, then on B1 click the B2 button to send audio from B1 to B2, and on the B2 channel click the B1 button to send audio from B2 to B1. Oh, by the way, these buttons are known variously as "sends" or "routes" or "patches". I like the term "send" because to me it seems more descriptive.

If things still don't work out for you then post screen shots of your Voicemeeter, Thetis and WSJT-X setup screens.

I will soon move this topic to the Virtual Audio sub-forum...
W9IP

Re: Thetis 2.9.0.6, ASIO, and VM Potato with WSJT-X & Map65

Postby W9IP » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:45 am

As usual, your explanation and suggestions were spot on. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I now have WSJT-X and Map65 routed through Voicemeeter and then to Thetis. The second part (Voicemeeter-Thetis) is ASIO which is exactly what I needed to do.
Thanks!

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”