cmASIO Why Not Everyone

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
KD1GA

cmASIO Why Not Everyone

Postby KD1GA » Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:08 pm

I have to ask this as I still notice a ton of folks utilizing VAC even with high end audio interfaces. I have been using cmASIO for months and I really can't understand why anyone would still be using VAC for audio if they have and a decent ASIO driver based audio interface. This frees up your VAC for digital, but more importantly in my case is so much more stable. No buffering or overflows and zero digital artifacts. Most new external sound interfaces have a much better CODEC capabilities than what the Anan can offer. Am I missing something here? Does this limit the ability to use additional sound processing, either plug-ins or external outboard gear? I'm so confused :) Vin-KD1GA
Vin KD1GA
WR1S

Re: cmASIO Why Not Everyone

Postby WR1S » Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:09 am

Vin, you are spot on.

I think you may get a better answer if you asked for the origin of the universe. Asking a ham for his opinion about microphone audio processing is like asking about their favorite beer. His particular configuration is always better than yours. Thetis can handle all your needs but some feel compelled to add external rack equipment. That's fine. Some people know how to properly integrate it. Some don't. Some people understand the benefits of cmASIO. Some don't. If they don't, they're not likely to want to change to it. Some don't feel compelled to spend the money on the additional audio interface. Some are very uncomfortable making the simple registry edit in Windows. Many have the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality and are deathly afraid of making fatal changes to their working configuration. They may not know how to restore operation. If they spent hours getting VAC working with their particular configuration they are afraid changing things will break something. Some proponents of "high-end external processing" don't always consider that many hams do not have hi-fi speakers at their receiving end. Most hams can't even come close to hearing the claims of superior audio. If they are old like me, it's a challenge to hear the full audio range anyway.

I have come across some true experts in several areas of interest. They have helped me immensely and I respect them. But I have to make a generalization that everyone thinks they are an expert and knows what's best for you because they claim it was best for them. They may have fine sounding audio and it works for them but that does not make it the only viable configuration. The beauty about Anan and Thetis is that there are countless options and unlimited configurations. Because there are, there will be unlimited opinions about what is best. All we can do is promote best practices and let people learn on their own. YMMV
Rick, WR1S
7000DLE MKII
VK4BXI

Postby VK4BXI » Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:09 am

Vin you're not the only one. I am in the same "boat", I finally shelled out for a "proper" audio interface and have been using cmASIO ever since. The irony is that I don't use the UMC 202HD at all. It sits there on the shelf connected into the computor via its USB connection. I use my favourite USB headset straight into Voicemeeter banana. Banana is used for everything. I use the "presets" in Banana to to turn audio outputs and digital inputs on and off. And everything works fast and stable.
So agreed that cmASIO is the best thing since "sliced bread"....but why do I have to buy hardware to do so.
rdwing

Postby rdwing » Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:58 am

cmASIO vs. a well tuned WASAPI setup offers very little other than an additional interface.
ASIO is an older spec, is supported by way fewer interfaces, and is generally kind of a pain in the neck.

cmASIO doesn't give any any latency improvement, or anything else, so why bother.

For the station using Banana, you're actually already using WASAPI. Why add the additional virtual ASIO layer instead of using WASAPI directly?
VK4BXI

Postby VK4BXI » Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:46 am

Thanks for the comments. I have had less than stellar results using VAC. So for me cmASIO was a very welcome solution. Is there another way to get good latency without using cmASIO or a proper A to D ?
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:01 am

In my case I tried Cmasio for a few weeks and it was fine until I developed some audio issues. I could not identify the problem so the easiest way out was to revert back to ASIO VAC and voicemeeter potato.
KD1GA

Postby KD1GA » Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:09 pm

No mine is working great with DWORD at 2 and using Antelope Audio Zen Go Thunderbolt interface . The plug-ins work great with its built in DAW. I haven't used my rack mounted stuff in a year, but I need to try them with cmAsio at some time but I'm sure it will work fine. I've kind of gotten away from the rack mounted stuff, using the plug-ins sound as good and not worried about any stray RF using software solutions. My computer is a fairly new i9 gaming setup so I'm sure that helps. The DAC in the interface is much better than the one in my Anan 7000 DLE MK III and taking the load from the DAC on the MIK III really seemed to help.

When I first received my MK III i had nothing but audio issues some of which were caused by RF and also the timing issues with the Protocol 2 firmware and 5CEFA9F31 Cyclone V series FPGA. My MK III is either last or one the last ones that Apache shipped as they were transitioning to the G2 at that time. So in my case utilizing the new Protocol 2 firmware that fixed RF on the TX ports in conjunction with moving from VAC to cmASIO has enabled my MKIII to run completely rock sold since these two changes were made.

I would suggest everyone give cmAISO a try in lieu of VAC for digital audio, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Vin-KD1GA
Last edited by KD1GA on Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vin KD1GA
KD1GA

Postby KD1GA » Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:16 pm

VK4BXI wrote:Thanks for the comments. I have had less than stellar results using VAC. So for me cmASIO was a very welcome solution. Is there another way to get good latency without using cmASIO or a proper A to D ?

A fast interface helps in my case Thunderbolt but I'm sure true USB-C will help also a second good quality 1gb NIC card dedicated to the radio only and a nice CAT 8 patch cable helped me attain almost zero latency. But search around here, you will find tons of ways as well going as far as tweaking NIC card settings. Good luck!!!!
Vin KD1GA
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:33 pm

Tony EI7BMB wrote:In my case I tried Cmasio for a few weeks and it was fine until I developed some audio issues. I could not identify the problem so the easiest way out was to revert back to ASIO VAC and voicemeeter potato.

It's easy to understand that sort of thing. Our radios are complex, people who have achieved stable performance that they are happy with might be unwilling to go through the risk or effort of trying something new.

Similarly, without a formal user interface, cmASIO requires people to edit the Windows Registry. Again this might be more than some are willing attempt or feel comfortable with.

If cmASIO had a formal user interface for settings as part of Thetis I suspect folks who are new to the radio and who already have ASIO sound interfaces would happily use that as their first choice.
KD1GA

Postby KD1GA » Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:44 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
Tony EI7BMB wrote:In my case I tried Cmasio for a few weeks and it was fine until I developed some audio issues. I could not identify the problem so the easiest way out was to revert back to ASIO VAC and voicemeeter potato.

It's easy to understand that sort of thing. Our radios are complex, people who have achieved stable performance that they are happy with might be unwilling to go through the risk or effort of trying something new.

Similarly, without a formal user interface, cmASIO requires people to edit the Windows Registry. Again this might be more than some are willing attempt or feel comfortable with.

If cmASIO had a formal user interface for settings as part of Thetis I suspect folks who are new to the radio and who already have ASIO sound interfaces would happily use that as their first choice.

Agreed I bet it won't be long until GUI is added for it. Thanks Vin
Vin KD1GA
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:11 pm

Hi Scott, I was quite willing to try it and did not really see it as a risk as long as there is a backup (I always try out the new stuff) It worked really well for few weeks until for some reason (which may or may not be be related to cm asio) audio issues arose. Maybe the fixed low buffer size played its part. As 6m E's season was just about to start I decided to go back to my known working set up.

w-u-2-o wrote:It's easy to understand that sort of thing. Our radios are complex, people who have achieved stable performance that they are happy with might be unwilling to go through the risk or effort of trying something new.

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”