USB 3.0 Priority?

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
w9ac

USB 3.0 Priority?

Postby w9ac » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:45 pm

Is there a means to prioritize a USB port, particularly USB 3.0?

I am using a Presonus Studio Mobile 192 with ASIO drivers and a 48 kHz Wordclock input. This allows me to dial down ring buffers and port audio settings to zero. It works well with very low latency, until I open a web browser, check e-mail, etc. Then, I start seeing overflows, perhaps 30 in an hour. When I only run Thetis, and no other PC applications, I see no overflows.

It's not bad and usually not perceptible. Still, I am thinking there may be a way to prioritize the USB dataflow over other PC demands apart from Thetis. Possible?

My ANAN 7000 runs on a separate, optimized NIC card on its own subnet. The Ethernet interface is fine. It's the USB flow that's contributing to the small amount of overflows. PC is a Dell i7, WIN10, and 16 GB RAM.

Anyone?

Paul, W9AC
w-u-2-o

Re: USB 3.0 Priority?

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:39 pm

There is no way to do this.

The best you can do is use a tool like the one in the video below to lower the process priority of the CPU hogs. I also like to set Thetis to real-time priority in Thetis > Setup > General > Options > Options-1.

I've had very good luck with this calming down Chrome, which was my primary offender. However, since going to dual NICs I no longer have this problem to any significant degree.

I've not had good luck screwing around with CPU affinity, but I only have a 4 core, 8 thread CPU.

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”