Voicemeeter Potato with Cantabile DAW "Tape Recorder"

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
KC4MNE

Voicemeeter Potato with Cantabile DAW "Tape Recorder"

Postby KC4MNE » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:29 pm

Have MOTU M2 ASIO interface Voicemeeter Potato and Cantabile working for both RX and TX.

BUT, I want to use the "Tape Recorder" in Voicemeeter to record raw mic audio and play it back to Cantabile in a loop so I can use that audio source to make adjustments. But I have not been able to figure it out. Has anybody done this? How is it done ?

Thanks

Manuel

KC4MNE
w-u-2-o

Re: Voicemeeter Potato with Cantabile DAW "Tape Recorder"

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:15 am

Obviously you have to select the proper options in Voicemeeter > Menu > Tape Recorder Options.

However, it is very difficult to guide you with respect to what those options should be without knowing exactly you have assigned channels and patch inserts in Voicemeeter.

Please post screen shots of the entire main Voicemeeter UI, and of the Voicemeeter System settings/Options window, and also provide any other information with respect to what hardware or software is assigned to each mixer channel, hardware and virtual in Voicemeeter.

I use Voicemeeter Potato with Reaper DAW. This setup should be similar to what you have, and both should rely on the Voicemeeter Insert ASIO driver, and for patch inserts to be activated. I have found that with patch inserts activated on the channel I want to record I cannot record using the pre-fader input selections in Tape Recorder Options. I have to select a post-fader bus output, and make sure my levels are near 0dB of course.
KC4MNE

Postby KC4MNE » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:56 am

Scott,

These snips should pretty much describe my setup. And all of this is working perfectly for both Rx on VAC 1 and 2. And Tx on VAC 1.

I am using the Voicemeeter Potato Insert Virtual ASIO driver to connect to Cantabile.

The only thing I can't to is play recorded audio from the "Tape Recorder" in Voicemeeter Potato and send it to Cantabile.
vac-1.PNG
vac-1.PNG (3.46 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
potato.PNG
potato.PNG (215.77 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
potato 2.PNG
potato 2.PNG (128.53 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
cantabile routing.PNG
cantabile routing.PNG (98.38 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
Cantabile ports setup.PNG
Cantabile ports setup.PNG (26.27 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
cantabile driver.PNG
cantabile driver.PNG (29.38 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
KC4MNE

Postby KC4MNE » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:02 am

Noticed I had an incorrect port assignment in Cantabile for VAC-2.
Cantabile ports setup.PNG
Cantabile ports setup.PNG (25.01 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:59 pm

KC4MNE wrote:The only thing I can't to is play recorded audio from the "Tape Recorder" in Voicemeeter Potato and send it to Cantabile.

Nice job on the setup, per your excellent screen shots. Nothing to add there except left and right are reversed on VAC1.

Recording is possible, as I discussed above. Unfortunately I do not think playback is possible into Cantabile, or any DAW, at this time. A quick Google search shows a number of feature requests to VB Audio for patch inserts on the output buses, which is what I believe is necessary to enable this.

I get around this problem by recording and playing back in Reaper. I believe that you can do the same thing in Cantabile.
GW0NTM

Postby GW0NTM » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:04 am

Manuel

I don't believe this is possible because playback in Voicemeeter can only be routed to an output channel not an input channel. My away around it in Reaper (but I'm assuming tit's the same in Cantable) is to create a new track in Reaper, to record the unprocessed microphone input, and then route that to my FX bus in Reaper so that I can make changes and hear the effect.

I hope that makes sense/ is helpful.

Best
Robin

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”