Lost Microphone input in Thetis

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
Trucker

Lost Microphone input in Thetis

Postby Trucker » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:13 pm

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum. Recently, for no apparent reason, I no longer have microphone audio from my USB microphone in Thetis. One day it's working fine the next day it's not.
I checked all my settings in the Audio tab, and nothing has changed. I have photographed all the different settings tabs as another form of reference. I tested the microphone in PowerSDR that I use with my Flex 5000A on the same computer. The microphone works fine.
So, I know the USB input and the microphone are both working. I looked for any changes to the Windows 11 Firewall that a Windows Update might have changed. Nothing different from a few days ago. If I run Thetis and then open System Settings and look at the Sound/Microphone settings, it shows the Microphone is in use by Thetis.
If I click Tune or 2 Tone buttons, I get full 200 watts output. So, not a problem with the 8000DLE.
Yet, the level indicator under the VOX slider isn't showing any movement. No green line moving with Ambient noise indicating the Microphone is active.
So, I completely nuked Thetis including database backup and hidden data files and reinstalled v2.10.1 . It went through the entire setup process of creating a Wisdom file etc. After that, I restarted Thetis and just selected the default 8000DLE settings. No PA calibration or nothing else. And just as before, no indication of a Microphone being connected and active.
Using the same checks as before, Windows shows Thetis is using the Microphone.
I can switch to my backup pc and Thetis runs fine and transmit works fine.
I am at a loss as to where to look for the cause of this problem.
James
WD5GWY
w-u-2-o

Re: Lost Microphone input in Thetis

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:20 pm

It seems like you've narrowed it down to a Win11 problem pretty well.

First, run SFC and DISM to check and repair your Win11 installation: https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/run-sfc-and-dism-in-windows-11.html

If that alone is not enough, use device manager to delete and reinstall the device.
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:25 pm

Thanks Scott. I did do sfc /scannow and it did find and fix a couple of corrupt files. I did that after nuking Thetis. But, I didn't do the other part of your suggestion. I will give that a try and see what happens.
James
WD5GWY
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:42 pm

Scott, here's the results of the Cleanup tool:

No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully.

As noted in another thread, I have been experimenting with Goyo and Light Host. I also tried another hosting program and a VST plug-in called SSB Cleanup that a ham in the Flex Radio groups.io newsgroup recently posted a video of. I am beginning to wonder if one of these programs ( the Host programs) installed something and is somehow blocking the audio from the microphone to Thetis in some manner? Also, I have been playing around with RM Noise that I mentioned in the thread, Understanding DSP functions.
It could be a case of too many chefs in the kitchen!
Thank you for the advice.
James
WD5GWY
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:50 pm

Have you deleted and reinstalled the mic in Device Manager?
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:42 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Have you deleted and reinstalled the mic in Device Manager?

Hadn't thought about doing that since it worked with PowerSDR and my 5000A.
At this point, I am open to trying almost anything. That or giving in and putting the backup pc back in line.
I'll give it a try.
James
WD5GWY
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:29 pm

Went into Device Manager and uninstalled the Microphone. Rebooted and back in to Device Manager and Scan for hardware changes. Windows found the Microphone and reinstalled the driver. No changes in Thetis. Still no audio input showing in the level meter.
Microphone tests fine in System/Sound/Microphone.
I have even turned off Windows Firewall to make sure it isn't blocking Thetis access to the Microphone. Same results. Something is blocking the Microphone. But, what it is, I have no idea. Time to hook up the backup pc!
James
WD5GWY
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:57 pm

Just did a double check with PowerSDR and my 5000A. Works fine with the USB microphone on the same computer that Thetis is installed on and not able to connect to the microphone.
It's really an odd thing. And it will turn out to be something simple with my luck!
James
WD5GWY
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:41 am

Gave up for the evening and hooked the 8000DLE to my backup pc. Everything working great.
I think I will leave well enough alone and use this pc for Thetis and the 8000DLE only.
The other pc can run other things.
James
WD5GWY
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:23 am

Solved!!!
I decided to start removing programs that I had installed on this computer in an attempt to consolidate my SDR software. The very first program I uninstalled was SmartSDR v3.5.8. That includes their CAT &.DAX( Digital Audio Exchange) programs that help connect other programs to SmartSDR.
I rebooted my pc then started Thetis. Microphone audio was back! I suspect DAX is the culprit because when I first installed SmartSDR on this pc, I didn't install DAX or CAT. But, when I decided to play with RM Noise with SmartSDR I had to install DAX to get audio to stream to the application.
I know from past experience that DAX reserves a lot of resources even if it doesn't use them.
But, I never thought it would do so in a way that other applications could not use them.
I don't know if there's a way to have SmartSDR with DAX installed and it not grab as many resources as it does.
So, for future Thetis users contemplating running a Flex radio with SmartSDR on the same pc, tread lightly!
James
WD5GWY
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:40 pm

So strange, the problem I had with loosing my USB microphone when running Thetis has returned. I had reinstalled SmartSDR to test some different issues I had with my 6600M. But, even so, the USB microphone continued to work with Thetis. Even with the latest version of Thetis installed it had been working.
Today, I started having all kinds of overflows and underflows in VAC1 as well. None of my settings have been changed. Things just went crazy for a lack of a better description. I found that the overflows and underflows settled down if I disconnected my USB microphone and didn't go nuts when I keyed the radio.
I relocated the microphone and plugged it into a different USB port. No indication it was working ( green bar moving under the downward expander slider) . I checked settings in Windows 11 Pro and everything seems to be normal. I even uninstalled SmartSDR and all of it's extra baggage. Still the same problem.
Previously, I had found a setting that added or removed certain "effects" from the microphone input audio. But, now I cannot find it again! ( it's a real PIA getting old!) And I think that was the actual source of the problem Previously.
James
WD5GWY
N1ZLE

Postby N1ZLE » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:43 am

Just a though,
When Microsoft does updates, it often updates the USB driver to Microsoft driver's versions VS. the Motherboard available versions of USB Drivers. This sometimes breaks USB3, and devices won't be recognized. Past experience has required me to re-install the particular Motherboard (MB) version of USB Drivers to make USB 3, in my case to work correctly again. Just something you may want to check. If you're using USB3, then check under device manager USB Root Hub for Microsoft VS. available MB drivers that may be available. Again, random though here, but I've had many issues with Microsoft's drivers VS. the MB drivers affecting proper function of USB3. Not sure what, if any external Sound Card you may have, but also check for updates from them. (PreSonus in my case)
If it's not broke, fix it until it is :shock:
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:02 am

That was what I was thinking as well. And it may have been the culprit this time. I just went back and went over all my VAC1 settings and I found that one problem was with the checkbox for allowing Spacebar to override PTT wasn't checked. I checked it and saved the settings and everything started working right again!
I just made a quick contact on 20 meters and received a good audio report. So, between the Spacebar issue ( which in the past didn't effect the indication that the microphone was hot) I think that going back into Windows Update and finding there were a couple of optional driver updates that I had not applied ( which I went ahead and did) that auto update changed something that also needed the optional updates.
Normally, I keep AutoUpdate turned off until it starts nagging me to update. I think I didn't set it back to not automatically download updates the last time I did an update. So, according to the Update History, Windows did at least two updates in the last week. That may have been what caused the problem.
Thanks for the suggestion.
James
WD5GWY

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”