rx audio routing question

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
ki4tga

rx audio routing question

Postby ki4tga » Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:35 am

Right now I'm using some klipsch pc speakers with subwoofer directly into the phone jack of the anan 7000 but I want to route everything through my pc. Caan anyone help?
K1LSB

Re: rx audio routing question

Postby K1LSB » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:37 am

I used to have the Klipsch ProMedia II, great little speakers. I had them plugged into my computer and just sent the Anan audio to the computer via VAC.

Mark
ki4tga

Postby ki4tga » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:09 pm

yea i have to figure out how to do that. Cause i want to be able to listen to my music or watch a movie and monitor bands

K1LSB wrote:I used to have the Klipsch ProMedia II, great little speakers. I had them plugged into my computer and just sent the Anan audio to the computer via VAC.

Mark
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:39 pm

I just run run an audio cable from the headphone output of the ANAN into the "line in" jack of my computer. Works great and also makes the audio from the ANAN available for direct recording into whatever program you have on your computer. No need to rely on VAC to transport audio with this method. I did find with my latest computer that it was necessary to insert a 1:1 ground loop noise isolator audio transformer inline to stop slight background digital noise that was present at higher volume. That cured it and did not affect the quality of the audio to my ears.

Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:49 am

ki4tga wrote:Right now I'm using some klipsch pc speakers with subwoofer directly into the phone jack of the anan 7000 but I want to route everything through my pc. Caan anyone help?

Read the tacked threads at the top of this sub-forum: viewforum.php?f=13

The VAC tutorial is a bit dated at this point because there have been many changes to VAC since it was written, but it will give you the basics.
ki4tga

Postby ki4tga » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:24 pm

Thank you both. Right now I have a audio cable coming out of the speakers jack on the pc going to the mic input if the anan in order to eliminate latency I seen when trying yo use vac. I will figure a work around to do this. Ty

W1AEX wrote:I just run run an audio cable from the headphone output of the ANAN into the "line in" jack of my computer. Works great and also makes the audio from the ANAN available for direct recording into whatever program you have on your computer. No need to rely on VAC to transport audio with this method. I did find with my latest computer that it was necessary to insert a 1:1 ground loop noise isolator audio transformer inline to stop slight background digital noise that was present at higher volume. That cured it and did not affect the quality of the audio to my ears.

Rob W1AEX
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:00 pm

ki4tga wrote:Thank you both. Right now I have a audio cable coming out of the speakers jack on the pc going to the mic input if the anan in order to eliminate latency I seen when trying yo use vac. I will figure a work around to do this. Ty

W1AEX wrote:I just run run an audio cable from the headphone output of the ANAN into the "line in" jack of my computer. Works great and also makes the audio from the ANAN available for direct recording into whatever program you have on your computer. No need to rely on VAC to transport audio with this method. I did find with my latest computer that it was necessary to insert a 1:1 ground loop noise isolator audio transformer inline to stop slight background digital noise that was present at higher volume. That cured it and did not affect the quality of the audio to my ears.

Rob W1AEX

Why would you have audio from your pc speakers output ( usually stereo audio) going into the microphone input of your radio? I would be concerned about overloading the microphone input on the radio. The link that Scott gave you contains some really good information on proper routing and setup of the audio.
What microphone are you using with your radio? If it is a USB microphone plugged into your computer, the only connection you need to your radio is ethernet cable, either directly to your pc or your network. Short of network problems, the latency is extremely low.
Virtual Audio Cables using Windows MME or Direct Sound work quite well once properly setup.
James
WD5GWY
ki4tga

Postby ki4tga » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:08 pm

i run a re320, xlr to focusrite then usb from it to pc. The only way i found it to work was that audio exiting out the speakers out jack in the back of the sound card. it has ZERO latency. I tried VAC on tx and just dont like to intermittent gremlins. But yes i will be looking into Robs advice. ty

Trucker wrote:
ki4tga wrote:Thank you both. Right now I have a audio cable coming out of the speakers jack on the pc going to the mic input if the anan in order to eliminate latency I seen when trying yo use vac. I will figure a work around to do this. Ty

Rob W1AEX

Why would you have audio from your pc speakers output ( usually stereo audio) going into the microphone input of your radio? I would be concerned about overloading the microphone input on the radio. The link that Scott gave you contains some really good information on proper routing and setup of the audio.
What microphone are you using with your radio? If it is a USB microphone plugged into your computer, the only connection you need to your radio is ethernet cable, either directly to your pc or your network. Short of network problems, the latency is extremely low.
Virtual Audio Cables using Windows MME or Direct Sound work quite well once properly setup.
James
WD5GWY
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:55 pm

In your first post you said you wanted to run everything through the PC. In your latest post it now seems you are not keen on learning how to use VAC. If you've changed your mind then perhaps it would be better to simply build an appropriate cable for the RE320 for input directly into the mic connector on the ANAN.

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”