How to UMC204HD>Voicemeeter>LightHost>Thetis

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
DH1KLM

How to UMC204HD>Voicemeeter>LightHost>Thetis

Postby DH1KLM » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:34 pm

Hi,
does anyone use the Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD together with Voicemeeter Banana and LightHost with Reaper VST plugins and Thetis.

I've never had anything serious to do with Voicemeeter and the configuration is driving me to despair.

In order to familiarize myself a little with the VM matter, I watched some videos on YouTube (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT8k_aEIn3c)

Now I tried unsuccessfully to connect everything together for a few hours, but failed miserably.

I now know that first you have to select “UMC ASIO Driver” in “Hardware Out A1” in the main GUI.
Activate both channels in “System settings/Options” under “PATCH INSERT” under IN#1, and select the corresponding channel
under “Patch ASIO Inputs to Strips: IN1”.
Now the “UMC ASIO Mic.” automatically appears in the main GUI under “Hardware Input1”.
So far so good. But what happens next?

Which output to connect to LightHost and then to Thetis.
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
w-u-2-o

Re: How to UMC204HD>Voicemeeter>LightHost>Thetis

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:14 pm

DH1KLM wrote:Hi,
does anyone use the Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD together with Voicemeeter Banana and LightHost with Reaper VST plugins and Thetis.

I do this, not with LightHost, but instead with the full installation of the Reaper DAW. It's the same thing, though.

In order to familiarize myself a little with the VM matter, I watched some videos on YouTube (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT8k_aEIn3c)

I watched that video quickly (with English subtitles :) ) and it is a very good video. If that video by itself was not sufficient to guide you then I'm guessing that the problem is a lack of familiarity with Voicemeeter.

I now know that first you have to select “UMC ASIO Driver” in “Hardware Out A1” in the main GUI.
Activate both channels in “System settings/Options” under “PATCH INSERT” under IN#1, and select the corresponding channel
under “Patch ASIO Inputs to Strips: IN1”.
Now the “UMC ASIO Mic.” automatically appears in the main GUI under “Hardware Input1”.
So far so good. But what happens next?

Which output to connect to LightHost and then to Thetis.

With LightHost set up to use ASIO and the "Voicemeeter Insert Virtual ASIO" device, LightHost will send and receive all audio through any activated Voicemeeter patch inserts. Turning on those patch inserts is clearly shown in the video you linked, but perhaps you did not understand that those make the connections between Voicemeeter and LightHost.

With all set up as shown in the video, the path the audio takes is:

mic --> mic cable --> UMC204HD --> Voicemeeter channel A1 input --> Voicemeeter patch insert A1 output --> LightHost --> plug-in(s) --> LightHost --> Voicemeeter patch insert A1 input --> Voicemeeter channel A1 fader --> then out through whatever "sends" you have activated on the Voicemeeter A1 channel strip (A1 through B2 as desired).

Assuming all is properly set up, you should see audio indications in the plug-in(s) as well as on the Voicemeeter channel strip A1 VU meter.

If you select the A1 send on the A1 channel strip then audio will be sent back out through the UMC202HD. Plug in some headphones to hear it.

Get that far and then we can tackle getting audio in and out of Thetis.

*** Moving this topic over to the virtual audio sub-forum...
DH1KLM

Postby DH1KLM » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:26 pm

Scott as always you are a great help.
I will look at the matter tomorrow and take a screenshot of each step. I will also try it directly with Reaper.
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
Torrey

Postby Torrey » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 am

Scott,

Many of us have a pretty good idea how your Anan station is set up.
It would help me if you would post a simple screen grab of your Voicemeeter Banana demonstrating how you use it.

Tnx and 73 Torrey N9PY
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:44 am

This is probably going to do more harm than good :D

I use Voicemeeter Potato strictly as a patch bay between the audio interface (Presonus Studio 192 Mobile), Thetis (via cmASIO), digi mode software and Reaper (DAW). All mixing and routing is done in Reaper. Mic's and speakers are plugged into the Presonus.

All active Voicemeeter channels are routed to Reaper using the Voicemeeter Insert ASIO device with the patch insert setting enabled.

In Voicemeeter strip A1 is both the input and output of the Presonus. I have two mic's, one on the left channel and one on the right. They get sent to Reaper via the patch insert send, mixed and routed in Reaper, and delivered to Thetis cmASIO on the B3 patch insert return. In order to have that return sent to Thetis the B3 send on the B3 channel must be activated.

Similarly, audio coming over from Thetis cmASIO on B3 is sent to Reaper via the patch insert send, mixed and routed in Reaper, and delivered to the Presonus on the A1 patch insert return. Again, to get that audio to come out of the Presonus when used this way the A1 send on the A1 channel must be activated.

Similar routes are enabled for Digi app's that attach on Voicemeeter strip B1. I used to use strip B2 for VAC2, but that is now obsolete with the advent of cmASIO.

A snippet from the WSJT-X settings is also shown.

The setup inside of Reaper is immensely complex the way I use it and well outside the scope of this discussion.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (323.88 KiB) Viewed 333 times

Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (175.58 KiB) Viewed 333 times

Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (109.42 KiB) Viewed 333 times

Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (31.96 KiB) Viewed 333 times
DH1KLM

Postby DH1KLM » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:17 pm

Hi Scott,

I uninstalled the current Voicemeeter version and installed an old version from 2022 that I found in the infinite depths of my download folder.
I configured the whole thing again like in the video, and lo and behold, it worked. The connection to Thetis is now also there. All settings on the plugins are passed on to Thetis.
The only thing that doesn't work is ReaFIR. Somehow "Subtract" doesn't work as it should. A "noise profile" is created, but apparently it doesn't affect the mic input. As I said, other plugins such as EQ, Gate etc. affect Mic in, and so does Thetis.

I don't know exactly where the problem was. I will update to the latest version after a testing phase.

It just occurred to me that I really need to clean up my downloads folder. I'll do that now.

Thanks again.
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”