No RF Output in QSK

NS8K

No RF Output in QSK

Postby NS8K » Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:38 am

Hello to all. I just received my 7000 MkIII a few days ago. Very new to this. I have discovered that when I select QSK, I have no RF output. If I switch to Semi, output is fine. I have the custom AGC settings as described in the manual and various posts. I've not found a setting that relates to this although I've looked again and again. When I key in QSK, I can hear my signal as well as the sidetone, just no RF output measured with an external wattmeter into 50 ohm load. Hardware came with Protocol 2 Ver 2.1.7 installed. Thetis is Ver 2.9.0.3.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Tom - NS8K
NS8K

Re: No RF Output in QSK

Postby NS8K » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:33 am

I'm at my wit's end with this, trying to figure out if I have a hardware, software, firmware or ordinary cockpit problem here. The radio is a 7000 Mk3 that was received from India on 2/7/23. It came with Firmware Ver 2.1.7 installed and is on Protocol 2 (v3.9). Thetis was at Ver 2.9.0.3 and I upgraded to Ver 2.9.0.6. I have a paddle and headphones plugged into the front panel.

With the radio set to Semi-breakin, the radio produces RF output when keyed. I have the radio setup for QSK per what I've read. When I key the radio in QSK mode, I see my signal on the panafall and hear my signal as well as sidetone in the headphones but my external wattmeter indicates no RF output at all. My load is a 50 ohm dummy load.

Is there someone out there with a Mk3 running the same firmware and Protocol 2 that can verify they do or do not have the same QSK issue with their radio? My serial number is DX8300589A. Any troubleshooting suggestions are welcome.

Tnx es 73,

Tom - NS8K
W2PA

Postby W2PA » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:20 pm

Wish I could help you, Tom. But I've never seen this and can't bring to mind why this would happen. All I can offer is that in QSK mode Thetis never triggers MOX and stays in receive mode. That's why it's so good at hearing between CW elements. But as a result, some things that happen only when MOX is triggered, such as transmit metering and out-of-band warnings, don't. Maybe this might lead you figuring it out.
Chris, W2PA
SM3PZG

Postby SM3PZG » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:14 pm

I can confirm I have the same issue. Have a Andromeda 7000MK2 with Protocol 2 v2.1.26 and Thetis v2.9.0.6. I dont like QSK so for me its not a problem. MOX is never triggered i QSK. Manual MOX CW is transmitted. Same if I run CW from external software like N1MM. CW only works in SEMI.

73/Sam
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:20 pm

It would be good if others with hardware based on the more recent board revisions could check this. It could be a firmware issue that crept in with the advent of the EP4CE and 5CEFA FPGA builds.

Refer to this post to identify what hardware you have: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4462

If we see multiple reports on EP4CE and 5CEFA units but not the older EP4CG based units that would be a clue. I'm not a CW op, but QSK does work fine on my old EP4CG based 8000.
n1gp

Postby n1gp » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:40 pm

I can confirm that this issue indeed "crept in with the advent of the EP4CE and 5CEFA FPGA builds."

I've tested all variants, QSK works fine on the EP4CG but not on the EP4CE and 5CEFA FPGA builds.

I've found and fixed the error and am currently building new firmware.
I'll post an update when I have them...

-Rick / N1GP
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:10 pm

Wow, Rick, thanks so much for the quick reaction! It's pretty surprising that nobody noticed/complained with the EP4CE firmware because that's been out there quite some time!
NS8K

Postby NS8K » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:57 pm

Whew, what a relief! Many thanks to Chris, Sam, Scott and especially Rick. Looking forward to the updated firmware. Now, I can move off of QSK and continue setup. I'll definitely sleep better tonight!

Tnx es 73,

Tom
rdwing

Postby rdwing » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:17 am

Just adding another note that my 7000 MK2.5 (I can't keep the names straight anymore) delivered last july I think? also has this issue.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:01 am

The are no names to keep straight. If it's a firmware issue just note what FPGA you have.

Rick has already posted above that this is a confirmed issue for all but the original version with the EP4CGX FPGA.
n1gp

Postby n1gp » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:17 pm

Updated firmware available, see this post:
https://community.apache-labs.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4568
rdwing

Postby rdwing » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:28 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:The are no names to keep straight. If it's a firmware issue just note what FPGA you have.

Rick has already posted above that this is a confirmed issue for all but the original version with the EP4CGX FPGA.

What is this post adding to the thread?

w-u-2-o wrote:It would be good if others with hardware based on the more recent board revisions could check this. It could be a firmware issue that crept in with the advent of the EP4CE and 5CEFA FPGA builds.

You asked if others with newer hardware could confirm. Or are we to take just the singular report as confirmation across all variants?
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:48 pm

rdwing wrote:
w-u-2-o wrote:The are no names to keep straight. If it's a firmware issue just note what FPGA you have.

What is this post adding to the thread?

I don't understand your question?

w-u-2-o wrote:It would be good if others with hardware based on the more recent board revisions could check this. It could be a firmware issue that crept in with the advent of the EP4CE and 5CEFA FPGA builds.

You asked if others with newer hardware could confirm. Or are we to take just the singular report as confirmation across all variants?

The author of the firmware, Rick, has confirmed the problem and no further reports are necessary.

He has already started alpha testing of a fix for both of the two affected FPGA types.

Return to “Keys, Keyers, Paddles & Bugs”