Flex Tuner Genius

W1SWL

Flex Tuner Genius

Postby W1SWL » Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:34 am

Hello:
I have a Flex Tuner Genius transmatch. Has anyone successfully integrated this antenna tuner to Thetis?
I have it working with my Yaesu FTdx101MP at present but was wondering about having it work with my G2/Thetis combo.
All ears.... thanks..73
Art W1SWL
w-u-2-o

Re: Flex Tuner Genius

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:15 pm

I don't have one, but a quick gander at the Flex manual shows that it is easy and straightforward.

You will be connecting it to the PC that is running Thetis. You will need an RS-232 serial port on that PC, either a card or a USB-to-serial adapter.

Page 71 of the Flex manual shows the cable that needs to be purchased or made. Since it is a straight through, standard serial cable most store-bought ones should work.

You will be setting up the Tuner for Kenwood operation in accordance with Page 32 of the Flex manual, with a different cable, of course. 4800 baud should be fine. Use 8N1 for format, not 8N2.

In Thetis use CAT1 just in case you need to enable "Allow Kenwood AI Command" (on the Options tab in the CAT section). Match the baud rate and other settings and enable the port.

Try it without the Kenwood AI command. If that doesn't work try enabling that. If you don't need the AI command then you can use any Thetis CAT instance 1 through 4.

There may be some tricky way to do this over Ethernet but you'll have find a real Flex expert for that!
W1SWL

Postby W1SWL » Fri Jul 12, 2024 12:59 pm

Ok then, I finally got in a null modem cable DB9 Female to USB Male.
Hooked it up to the Tuner Genius and in the CAT form set up the parameters.
Also in the TG device setup did the same.
VOILA! She is working following both BAND and Frequency.
Another slight integration issue solved.
Thanks so much for your prompt and accurate assistance.
Art W1SWL
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jul 12, 2024 2:20 pm

:)

And with Richie's recent accomplishments on Thetis, the Kenwood AI command is now available on any CAT port in the latest development version of Thetis.

Return to “Amplifiers & Tuners”