Possible New User Of 7000 DLE - Some Questions

ShaggyRS6

Possible New User Of 7000 DLE - Some Questions

Postby ShaggyRS6 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:36 pm

Hello everyone, I currently run a Kenwood TS890 with the matching speaker along with an Elecraft KPA500 & KAP500. I use a Heil Pro7 Headset all into a 49:1 all band end fed. I live in a HOA so I am extremely limited on the type of antenna I can use.

What I am finding is where I thought I would love the knobs and buttons on the Kenwood, I find myself almost exclusively using the 3rd party open890 and running the radio that way, unfortunately, its pretty limiting as to what you can actually achieve using the app. What I like about SDR is that everything is in front of me on my monitor, I think that would make a huge difference to me.

So I am considering a 7000 or 8000 (more than likely the 7000 because I am impatient) and I wanted to know if any of the associated equipment I run with the 890 can be used with the 7K or 8K? What I dont wont to end up doing is spending another bunch of money to make sure the Anan can use my Headset, amp and tuner. I am also wondering that apart from the radio itself, would there be anything else I need to order?

If anyone has any advice it would be very much appreciated.
w-u-2-o

Re: Possible New User Of 7000 DLE - Some Questions

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:13 pm

Bottom line up front: you will have no problem interfacing your Elecraft gear. You will need a new cable for your Heil headset.

As you think about how to integrate your existing gear with the new radio, remember that the 7000 is not really a radio by itself. Most of the radio is in the PC software, called Thetis. The 7000 is merely the RF front and back end and a few additional interfaces for convenience.

Your Heil headset will interface directly with the 7000 mic and headset connectors. This process has proven to be terribly counter-intuitive for many. Plan ahead, make sure you understand the pinning of the connectors, the settings for the microphone in the software, and how the cable needs to be made. (Editorial note: I don't know how anyone wears a Pro 7, my head hurts just thinking about it ;) )

Your amp will use a PTT cable from the 7000 but interface directly with the PC for band info or remote control. You will need a serial port on the PC to do this, and an appropriate cable. I have both a KPA500 and a KPA1500 and they are wonderful amp's and work well with our radios. If you add in some virtual serial port software to the mix, the KPA500 can be controlled by Thetis and the Elecraft remote control utility simultaneously.

I don't know much about the KAT500. If you only have it connected to the amp it should work the same as it did previously. However there is no closed loop control over a tune cycle. You will need to kick off a cycle and end it when tuning is complete.
ShaggyRS6

Postby ShaggyRS6 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:30 pm

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. A couple of things here, my PC does not have a serial port, , I could probably get a serial port card though. Having said that, maybe the 8000 is the way to go as it has the 500W already, and that's one less headache my brain (which has Parkinsons) :) will have to deal with.

I love the fact that it can be done though, and as for the Heil Headset, I actually find it does not hurt at all!
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:40 pm

Adding a serial port is trivial. Simply purchase a USB serial port adapter. Typically $10 on Amazon. Or, IMHO better, buy a serial device server. A server will make any serial port accessible over your Ethernet network (drivers on your PC make it appear as if it is a local serial port). Then you will really be set up to operate in any part of the house because you can control the amp and tuner using Elecraft software. Serial device servers can be had for less than $100 on Amazon.

I can't recommend a 500W 8000 until such time as we actually see them start to ship in any quantity. If you look at some of the topics in the "News" part of the forum shipping status is completely unknown for most products, especially the high power 8000:

viewforum.php?f=3
ShaggyRS6

Postby ShaggyRS6 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:27 pm

Ok. Excellent, back to the 7000 then. I guess my only concern is you said I would have to make a cable. With my shaky hands that’s not going to be an easy task. Is there somewhere I can buy them ?
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:24 pm

I don't know who can make you a cable. Perhaps others do. It's a problem whether you are using the 7000 or 8000.

You can avoid the problem by changing to a microphone and speaker or headphones that you plug into your PC, but if you have your heart set on using the Pro 7 then a cable you will need.

Return to “Amplifiers & Tuners”