DDUtil support for PowerSDR and Thetis has ended (but 3.2.6.22 works OK)

w-u-2-o

DDUtil support for PowerSDR and Thetis has ended (but 3.2.6.22 works OK)

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:38 pm

Older versions will still work, but newer ones won't. And the "Legacy" button is being removed so you can't even try. The author's guidance on this is here:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/DDUtil/conversations/messages/8844

This is most unfortunately because I think it means that Apache Labs users will not get full KPA-1500 support.

It is worth noting that I am running 3.2.6.22 just fine here with both PowerSDR mRX PS and Thetis. I need this version because it has updates for PLC support that are critical to my station. I don't use most of the features of DDUtil, but the ones that I do use, macro buttons, KPA-500 support, auto-drive, and PLC control, do work for me in that context.

All prior versions are available at http://www.k5fr.com/binary/ so you can always find the one that works best for you.

BTW, anyone who needs station automation and is not using the PLC/ModBus features of DDUtil needs to take a look, it is outstanding. Can't think of anything easier than having a macro button in DDUtil that makes a relay do something somewhere! :-)

Scott
electronics-tech

Re: DDUtil support for PowerSDR and Thetis has ended (but 3.2.6.22 works OK)

Postby electronics-tech » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:26 pm

Hi Scott.

That link to the Yahoo Groups message seems to be dead. Or maybe I am just not a member. Or I don't know? I am not a Yahoo guy at all.

Do you have or can you provide a text version of the message. I would like to read what the author had to say. It could help me get the PW1 and DDutil and Thetis talking.

Thanks
Ronnie
VE3NLS
K4IBC

Postby K4IBC » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:37 pm

Yahoo shut down Groups many years ago so unfortunately that message in the link no longer exist. I do not know if DDUtil migrated to groups.io or not.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:30 am

That old Yahoo groups link is unimportant. It was just Steve announcing he was ending support for legacy radios and was only going to support Flex SmartSDR moving forward.

Because DDUtil V3 is no longer supported Steve's support pages for it appear to be in disarray. For example:

https://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php?title=Amps&oldid=665

Nevertheless it's not terribly difficult to set up. Install virtual serial port software (I prefer Eterlogic VSPE), make a port pair between DDUtil and Thetis, then provision an RS232 or USB to C-IV interface. Finally assign the serial port for that interface on the amp page of DDUtil.

I used to rely very heavily on DDUtil as part of my station automation. It was fantastic, especially its support for PLCs, but I have long since replaced it with a custom, home-grown, Node Red application I developed specifically for my station.

There is a groups.io group: https://groups.io/g/DDUtil
electronics-tech

Postby electronics-tech » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:55 pm

Scott and Bill.

First off, Scott, I do have lots of experience with DDutil. The problem I am having is that SmartSDR is supported BUT PowerSDR of any kind is not by Steve. He even told me so. So Thetis is also not supported. Well, at least to my knowledge.

So, I tried one last time with 3.2.6.22. And no go. This is running on Windows 10 Pro-64 in Bootcamp on a high end iMAC core i7. Which runs all of my PowerSDR and VSP and VAC softwares.

Here is what happens. I load a fresh install of DDutil. And I make sure I have deleted the config file first, or it will just crash.

Start the program and get it talking to Thetis. Thetis CAT port Comm 12 and DDutil Com11. You can see in VSP that it knows Thetis is there and and is attached to Com12 . However, NO Radio shows up in the DDutil panel. OK fine... the server starts in DDutil and it looks ok.

Then I go through the motions of installing the CIV-Comm adapter ( I know works as it did on the Flex3000 with no issues) and then resetting the PW-1 and put it in LEARN mode and NADA... Changing the VFO does nothing there is no traffic to the CIV set up for the PW-1 on the Port I have dedicated in DDutil. Even though the server is running in DDutuil it echoes "no connection to server"

To add insult. When I close DDutil. And re-start. It just crashes with a .Net Framework error, and I have to delete the config file again to start all over and end in the same loop.

I guess this is just not going to work Scott. Unless you have some words of wisdom here.????

Some screen snaps attached.

Ronnie
VE3NLS

DDutil Crash.PNG
DDutil Crash.PNG (974.72 KiB) Viewed 14025 times

DDutil config with VSP.PNG
DDutil config with VSP.PNG (864.93 KiB) Viewed 14025 times
electronics-tech

Postby electronics-tech » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:02 pm

Scott, I forgot.

Yes, I have tried in LEGACY mode. Exact same results every time.... Grrrrrrrrr......

Ronnie
VE3NLS
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:45 pm

electronics-tech wrote:First off, Scott, I do have lots of experience with DDutil. The problem I am having is that SmartSDR is supported BUT PowerSDR of any kind is not by Steve. He even told me so. So Thetis is also not supported. Well, at least to my knowledge.

That's just Steve's way of saying "I have no idea if any of this works with Thetis (it does) and I don't want to expend any effort to support my old work, I have moved on." Which is totally fair. But the old stuff does work with Thetis. Remember, it's all just CAT commands and the commands DDUtil supports for PowerSDR are the exactly the same in Thetis.

So, I tried one last time with 3.2.6.22. And no go. This is running on Windows 10 Pro-64 in Bootcamp on a high end iMAC core i7. Which runs all of my PowerSDR and VSP and VAC softwares.

With Bootcamp all bets are off. Steve did some weird stuff on the serial port IO and I've even had trouble with it on Windows from time to time. Whether or not it would work in Bootcamp is more than I can say. The classic serial comm's symptom with DDUtil is no connection to the radio.

Start the program and get it talking to Thetis. Thetis CAT port Comm 12 and DDutil Com11. You can see in VSP that it knows Thetis is there and and is attached to Com12 . However, NO Radio shows up in the DDutil panel.

And there you go: serial comm's problems with DDUtil. This has been an issue since DDUtil V3 was a baby, with PowerSDR, and when Steve did support it. I complained and he told me in no uncertain terms there was nothing wrong with it.

I've had much better luck using VSPE from Eterlogic because I found VSPM to be unstable. Again, something weird about how the serial comm's are implemented. I'm no developer, and nobody has access to the source for VSPM or DDUtil, so who can say exactly what might be wrong with it?

Then I go through the motions of installing the CIV-Comm adapter...

There's no point in that until you solve the radio connection problem.

To add insult. When I close DDutil. And re-start. It just crashes with a .Net Framework error, and I have to delete the config file again to start all over and end in the same loop.

I'm going to blame Bootcamp ;)

I guess this is just not going to work Scott. Unless you have some words of wisdom here.????

Beg, borrow or steal a real Windows 10 machine. Make sure it is 100% up to date. Install VSPE. If you are super paranoid, install PowerSDR, but I'd just go with Thetis. You can also try going back in time a little further. Just grab an even older version than 3.2.6.22 from the directory I linked in the first post above.

But 3.2.6.22 should work. It works for me, I'm running it right now with Thetis.

Capture4.JPG
Capture4.JPG (689.05 KiB) Viewed 13998 times
electronics-tech

Postby electronics-tech » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:09 pm

Thanks Scott. And BTW, I did have a Windows 10 Box. A REAL i5. With 10 Pro-64 on it and it did the exact same things....

So, I am going to trash Steve's VSP. And uninstall it. And I will try with what you are running.

The Bootcamp works perfectly with everything else. It will talk to everything. Including WSTJX, HRD 6.2.xxx and also my LP-100A Power meter. The LP-100A is connected using an actual USB to Serial adapter with the FTDI chipset. This is exactly what I am doing with the Icom CIV.

But it Thetis will not talk to DDutil.

Why when I look at your picture posted does DDutil NOT show a radio>? And are you using LEGACY mode?

I will assume you can tell it is connected because the server in DDutil says " 1 connection to server".

Is that correct?

Ronnie
VE3NLS
electronics-tech

Postby electronics-tech » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:14 am

OK Scott. That again was a NO-GO. I tried everything.

One final question.

Are you running in 32 Bit Mode Windows 10 Pro or 64 Bit Mode? With Thetis in 64 Bit Mode?

Because, from what I can see, this seems to my problem.

DDutil cannot stand being launched in a 64 bit platform in legacy. And come to think of it, the last time I was actually able to use DDutil on my old i5. It was running an older version of WinBlows 10 in 32 bit mode. Which had not a single problem.

Man. Is there a version of Thetis for Protocol 2. That will run OS 12.6.5 out there?

This is so frustrating.

I give up on this. DDutil is never going to work, and I am NOT wiping my iMac to install a 32 bit version of WinBlows.

Ronnie
VE3NLS
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:44 am

electronics-tech wrote:But it Thetis will not talk to DDutil.

It works perfectly fine here.

Why when I look at your picture posted does DDutil NOT show a radio>? And are you using LEGACY mode?

Look at the picture again. And you MUST have DEMO/HPSDR mode checked.

Capture4.JPG
Capture4.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 13964 times

I will assume you can tell it is connected because the server in DDutil says " 1 connection to server".

There is no such indication that I know of in DDUtil. I have no idea what you are talking about.

You can tell it is connected because in the title bar of DDUtil is shows the frequency and mode, and the frequency and mode will track whatever Thetis is set to.

Are you running in 32 Bit Mode Windows 10 Pro or 64 Bit Mode? With Thetis in 64 Bit Mode?

Everything is 64 bit on my machine. 64 bit OS, 64 bit Thetis.

DDutil cannot stand being launched in a 64 bit platform in legacy.

Obviously incorrect, since my systems have all been 64 bit for as long as I can remember. Certainly going all the way back to my Flex 3000 days 15 years ago.

I give up on this. DDutil is never going to work, and I am NOT wiping my iMac to install a 32 bit version of WinBlows.

Nobody should be running a 32 bit version of anything anymore. Hell, I run 64 bit Raspian on my Pi's.

However, you should use the right tools for the job. Using Windows-centric software should be done on a real Windows machine.

I have Linux, Windows and Android platforms here and I use them as required. If I had a need for iOS or MacOS I'd use them, too. This whole religious thing about not running this or not running that is silly.
electronics-tech

Postby electronics-tech » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:04 am

My apologies Scott. Frustration did get the better of me. Sorry about that. I have been supporting Windows as a Tech for 25+ years and am getting a bit too cozy with Mac OS.

Your JPG was pretty small. I did miss some of the checkmarks and I will have another look. But you are probably right about the VM part with BootCamp. There are so many variables with what I am trying.

One thing I have learned is the order in which you start this stuff up is very important. VSP's load, VAC loads. Then DDutil. loaded in my case previous, and then the SDR software. Add CAT devices afterwards for what you want.

Can you share with me your Boot Process. it might be that simple. Or not.

Thanks Scott.

Ronnie
VE3NLS
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:51 am

You can view the image full size by either downloading it or doing the right click open in new tab thing if your browser supports that.

That is the same startup order I use.
electronics-tech

Postby electronics-tech » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:46 pm

Good morning Scott.

Some new clues this morning. I removed DDutil, and downloaded the V3.2.7.02 you had. Installed again. Setup again. No connection to Thetis.

This is really simple as you have shown, and I know that. But it will not talk. All my setting replicate yours.

This time, I used another different VSP, and was able to see the traffic through the comms. They see each other for sure. I also took a look at the DDutil Logfile this time. Attached.

At install, it is still complaining about a .NET Framework problem. I am now wondering if perhaps you have installed along the way some older version of Microsofts .NET Framework?

I currently only have .NET SDK 6.0.405 installed.

Would you be kind enough to check that for me. It all seems to be something to do with this "object not set reference"

Thanks,
Ronnie

DDutil error Log.PNG
DDutil error Log.PNG (111.92 KiB) Viewed 13894 times
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:57 pm

Ha! I totally forgot I was living on the bleeding edge with 3.2.7.02 :D

I can't recommend using 3.2.7.02 unless you absolutely need a feature it has. Use 3.2.6.22 or even something older.

I strongly recommend using Eterlogic VSPE. Failing that, use com0com. I strongly dis-recommend Steve's VSPM.

In VSPE use a port pair. Can't speak to com0com, I haven't used it in over ten years.

You may be onto something with the .net stuff.

Here is my .net report:

Code: Select all

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19045.2846]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP" /s

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\CDF

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\CDF\v4.0
    HttpNamespaceReservationInstalled    REG_DWORD    0x1
    NetTcpPortSharingInstalled    REG_DWORD    0x1
    NonHttpActivationInstalled    REG_DWORD    0x1
    SMSvcHostPath    REG_SZ    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\
    WMIInstalled    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727
    CBS    REG_DWORD    0x1
    Increment    REG_SZ    4927
    Install    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1
    SP    REG_DWORD    0x2
    Version    REG_SZ    2.0.50727.4927

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1028
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1029
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1030
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1031
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1032
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1033
    CBS    REG_DWORD    0x1
    Increment    REG_SZ    4927
    SP    REG_DWORD    0x2
    Version    REG_SZ    2.0.50727.4927

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1035
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1036
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1038
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1040
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1041
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1042
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1043
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1044
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1045
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1046
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1049
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1053
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1055
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\2052
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\2070
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\3076
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\3082
    MSI    REG_DWORD    0x1
    OCM    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v3.0
    CBS    REG_DWORD    0x1
    Increment    REG_SZ    4926
    SP    REG_DWORD    0x2
    Version    REG_SZ    3.0.30729.4926

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v3.0\Servicing

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v3.0\Servicing\Windows Workflow Foundation
    CBS    REG_DWORD    0x1
    Hotfix    REG_SZ
    SP    REG_DWORD    0x2
    SPIndex    REG_DWORD    0x0
    SPName    REG_SZ    SP2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v3.0\Setup
    InstallSuccess    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v3.0\Setup\1033
    CBS    REG_DWORD    0x1
    Increment    REG_SZ    4926
    SP    REG_DWORD    0x2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v3.0\Setup\Windows Communication Foundation
    ReferenceInstallPath    REG_SZ    C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\
    RuntimeInstallPath    REG_SZ    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation\
    Version    REG_SZ    3.0.4506.4926

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v3.0\Setup\Windows Presentation Foundation
    (Default)    REG_SZ    WPF v3.0.6920.4902
    InstallRoot    REG_SZ    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v3.0\WPF\
    ProductVersion    REG_SZ    3.0.6920.4902
    Version    REG_SZ    3.0.6920.4902
    WPFCommonAssembliesPathx64    REG_SZ    C:\Windows\System32\
    WPFNonReferenceAssembliesPathx64    REG_SZ    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v3.0\WPF\
    WPFReferenceAssembliesPathx64    REG_SZ    C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v3.0\Setup\Windows Workflow Foundation
    (Default)    REG_SZ    Windows Workflow Foundation
    FileVersion    REG_SZ    3.0.4203.4926
    InstallDir    REG_SZ    C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\
    MajorBuildNum    REG_SZ    4203
    ProductVersion    REG_SZ    3.0.0.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5
    CBS    REG_DWORD    0x1
    InstallPath    REG_SZ    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v3.5\
    SP    REG_DWORD    0x1
    Version    REG_SZ    3.5.30729.4926

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5\1033
    CBS    REG_DWORD    0x1
    SP    REG_DWORD    0x1
    Version    REG_SZ    3.5.30729.4926

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v4

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client
    CBS    REG_DWORD    0x1
    InstallPath    REG_SZ    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\
    Release    REG_DWORD    0x8234d
    Servicing    REG_DWORD    0x0
    TargetVersion    REG_SZ    4.0.0
    Version    REG_SZ    4.8.09037

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client\1033
    CBS    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full
    CBS    REG_DWORD    0x1
    InstallPath    REG_SZ    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full\1033
    CBS    REG_DWORD    0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v4.0
    (Default)    REG_SZ    deprecated

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v4.0\Client
    Version    REG_SZ    4.0.0.0

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
electronics-tech

Postby electronics-tech » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:42 pm

Ok interesting... <net Framework 4.0.30319....

By any chance did you do an upgrade path to Windows 10 from...say windows 7/8 or something along the way?

Can you clarify that please. A clean install of 10-64 only installs that particular .NET Framework package. To my knowledge.

I am going to take out a reasonably new laptop here running Win 10 6 bit.. A real Windows machine And load 3.2.6.22. I am betting it will crash on it with the exact same error. This should rule out Bootcamp. And/or running on the MAC hardware.

Then I am going to download .NET framework 4 and install it and see what happens.

Thanks.
Ronnie
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:51 pm

Clean install of 10 Pro on this machine.
electronics-tech

Postby electronics-tech » Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:06 pm

Alrighty then. Apparently V4 full is installed by default in a Win 10 64 clean install as I found out.

That settles it. Installed 3.2.6.22 on my Acer core i5. Made a comm pair.

Started DDutil Selected the settings. Closed DDutuil Started again, and worked first time.

I guess it has a problem with MAC hardware.

Thanks again Scott. I give.

Ronnie.
w4cm

Postby w4cm » Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:25 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Older versions will still work, but newer ones won't. And the "Legacy" button is being removed so you can't even try. The author's guidance on this is here:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/DDUtil/conversations/messages/8844

This is most unfortunately because I think it means that Apache Labs users will not get full KPA-1500 support.

It is worth noting that I am running 3.2.6.22 just fine here with both PowerSDR mRX PS and Thetis. I need this version because it has updates for PLC support that are critical to my station. I don't use most of the features of DDUtil, but the ones that I do use, macro buttons, KPA-500 support, auto-drive, and PLC control, do work for me in that context.

All prior versions are available at http://www.k5fr.com/binary/ so you can always find the one that works best for you.

BTW, anyone who needs station automation and is not using the PLC/ModBus features of DDUtil needs to take a look, it is outstanding. Can't think of anything easier than having a macro button in DDUtil that makes a relay do something somewhere! :-)

Scott

Scott trying to install and get DDUtil V3 working on my Anan 7000 to interface my Yaesu rotor utilizing the ERC-Mini rotor interface.
Can you help with basic set up to get the DDUtil to connect to my PC ?

W4CM
Cecil
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:24 pm

Cecil,

Have you installed DDutil on you PC (the same PC that your run Thetis on)? If so, which version?

Have you installed a virtual serial port program on that same PC? Which one? Have you used it to create a virtual serial port pair?

If not, those are all necessary first steps.

Scott
w4cm

Postby w4cm » Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:53 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Cecil,

Have you installed DDutil on you PC (the same PC that your run Thetis on)? If so, which version?

Have you installed a virtual serial port program on that same PC? Which one? Have you used it to create a virtual serial port pair?

If not, those are all necessary first steps.

Scott

Yes installed on same PC. I tried 40109 and 32622 versions
Yes vsp Manager. Created ports.Thetis.exe com33 DDUtil_V3.exe
w4cm

Postby w4cm » Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:58 pm

On DDUtil I used tools and error log says Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
I tried resetting everything and also turning off firewall. When I checked log it did not show that program was blocked.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:01 pm

Post screen shots of your Thetis CAT setup page, DDUtil setup page and VSPM virtual port pair setup page.
w4cm

Postby w4cm » Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:34 pm

Screenshot 2023-10-22 142553.png
Screenshot 2023-10-22 142553.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 9654 times
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:07 pm

That all looks fine with one exception: in DDUtil "DEMO/HPSDR" needs to be checked.

Also, I can't speak to any version after 3.2.6.22. If you are running any version after that all bets are off.
w4cm

Postby w4cm » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:16 pm

checked but nothing changed
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:46 pm

I don't see anything wrong other than that. I will add that I've had a lot problems with VSPM and because of that I switched to Eterlogic VSPE.

Also, DDUtil seems very picky about the order in which the app's are launched, and both it and VSPM, which share the same serial port code, will often hang onto serial ports in a way that requires a reboot to solve.

Unfortunately I've got nothing else to offer on this problem.
w4cm

Postby w4cm » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:53 pm

Thank you for your time.

Return to “Digital Mode, Rig Control & Logging Software”