Voicemeeter Hardware Input- won't populate

Phrotus

Voicemeeter Hardware Input- won't populate

Postby Phrotus » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:54 pm

I must be the only one with this problem. I've looked for days on this community and Voicemeeter forum without luck.
I'm using an Andromeda Win 10, P1 2.9.0.6 and trying to setup Thetis, FLDigi (Olivia) and Voicemeeter to work together in digital mode.

My only problem at this point is to get the Voicemeeter "Hardware Input" button to populate anything----no dropdown at all. Obviously I've got something set improperly.

Otherwise the rig is great ; I have my amp interfaced along with ACLog and SKCC logging programs working fine.

Any help would sure be appreciated. Tom W4TMW
Tony EI7BMB

Re: Voicemeeter Hardware Input- won't populate

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:00 pm

Hi Tom, can you post a screenshot of your audio settings on the radio software please ?
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:21 pm

Tom--you must first set the A1 hardware output in Voicemeeter even if you don't plan on using it. It's a strange limitation/requirement of Voicemeeter.

Since this is a Voicemeeter-specific topic I'll probably move it to the Virtual Audio sub-forum when I get a chance.
Phrotus

Postby Phrotus » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:42 pm

Scott and Tony, thanks for the replies. Here is the screenshot requested. Scott, I had already tried your suggestion with no luck.
i'll try to send a screenshot of the VM showing the options I have to choose from there. First is the Setup>Audio

download/file.php?mode=view&id=3442

Second for Scott, the VM. if that is not what you need, I have others.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=3443
Attachments
Screenshot (54).png
Screenshot (54).png (702.68 KiB) Viewed 4521 times
Screenshot (52).png
Screenshot (52).png (750.74 KiB) Viewed 4521 times
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:05 pm

Oops, I should have picked up on your problem in the first post. Thetis must be assigned to one of the virtual input channels, B1 or B2. The same for Fldigi. You can't assign software to one of the hardware channels, only real hardware.

Then enable the B2 send on channel B1 and the B1 send on channel B2 so they send audio back and forth to each other.
Phrotus

Postby Phrotus » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:28 pm

Scott,
I'm not following you.....here is another screenshot showing the result when I click the MIC tab to get a dropdown list....."Remove device selection"

What do I need to do in order to produce a dropdown list instead of the "Remove....." popup? Where does the microphone list come from...how do I find the microphone. The only thing I have in the way of microphone hardware is a headset plugged into the front of the Andromeda.
I guess I don't understand the audio input/output flow (path) before it gets to VM.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=3449

Thanks for helping me
73, Tom
Attachments
VM_Select Input Device 1.png
VM_Select Input Device 1.png (698.51 KiB) Viewed 4459 times
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:39 pm

OK, my bad, based on your previous posts I thought this was a digi mode problem (maybe it will be in the future ;) )

The problem you may be having is that perhaps you don't understand that software can only see audio devices plugged into the PC. Anything you have plugged into the Andromeda is only visible to Thetis.

Now I'm assuming you want to use a mic plugged into the PC. So plug one in and then it will become visible to Voicemeeter. You may have to restart Voicemeeter in order for it to detect any hardware changes.

You can use any USB microphone you might have.

And if that is still leaving you lost, then you need to explain exactly what it is you hope to achieve, and how you think it should be achieved.
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:55 pm

Tom, checkout this guide, I think it will help you http://wu2o.dyndns.org/wu2o_vac_tutorial_2.html

Skip to No8 to begin with
Phrotus

Postby Phrotus » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:56 pm

Scott.....
From my first post........... "and trying to setup Thetis, FLDigi (Olivia) and Voicemeeter to work together in digital mode".

So here is my usual use of the Andromeda--> mostly cw and some casual ssb. However, after reading about some activity using Olivia (digital mode) with FLdigi, I thought I'd give it a try. I have prior experience with various digital modes many years ago with Flex 5000 thru 6600 and recently Elecraft K4. So digital modes are not new to me but with Thetis there is a learning curve, which I expected, but I think I'm up to the task :) I must add that I am gratefully thankful for the help. I hope this answers what I...." hope the achieve".

The TX/RX is a Heil proset elite plugged into the front of the Andromeda with foot switch, the mic is only used once a month or so, otherwise the headset is used for weak cw signals. I also have a set of BOSE speakers plugged into the rear of the rig.

Tony....... Yes, I have read that and others, which I thought were excellent and helped !! However, I need to refresh my mind by going over section 8 again in case I missed something in the VM setup which I think is working ok except for the problem stated in my opening post and the reason for this thread. I know in the back of my mind that when this problem is resolved, other settings might need to be changed.

Now, based on my comments here, I'm not sure where to go . I'll reread the article Tony suggested and see if either of you guys ( or anyone else) has more directions for me.
Once again, many many thanks for your help.
73, Tom W4TMW
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:54 pm

Tom,

It seems you are confused about how Voicemeeter, Fldigi and your microphone interact.

For digital mode operations Voicemeeter will ONLY come into play as a means to connect Thetis and Fldigi (see my previous post above about how to do this). It will have absolutely NO bearing on the mic you have plugged directly into the Andromeda. There is NO reason in your case to set up any microphone on a Voicemeeter hardware input, NONE.

When you want to run digital modes select VAC1 in Thetis. This will completely bypass the microphone plugged into Andromeda (as long as none of the "override/bypass" options are checked in VAC1 setup).

When you want to run phone (SSB, FM or AM) using the mic plugged into the Andromeda, disable VAC1 in Thetis.
Phrotus

Postby Phrotus » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:13 pm

Happy Easter to all,

A quick update........all the components (Thetis, VSPE, Voicemeeter, FLDigi) are working with each-other now. A complete instruction sheet is being completed and will be posted here.

I've used the Andromeda with FLDigi many times, so the settings do have persistence. :)

73, Tom W4TMW
Phrotus

Re: Voicemeeter Hardware Input- won't populate (SOLVED)

Postby Phrotus » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:14 pm

Herewith are my instructions for interfacing Thetis to FLdigi using Voicemeeter (VM) and Virtual Serial Ports Emulator (VSPE). These instructions are being used with an Andromeda/Thetis 2.9.0.6 ......Protocal 1 .......Win 10. I'm not a guru on this stuff so I cannot vouch for any other radio configuration, however, any feedback would be appreciated. :D
God bless
73, Tom W4TMW

Setup FLDigi_Thetis_VSPE_Voicemeeter-Banana-Page-1.png
Setup FLDigi_Thetis_VSPE_Voicemeeter-Banana-Page-1.png (106.81 KiB) Viewed 3863 times

Setup FLDigi_Thetis_VSPE_Voicemeeter-Banana-Page-2.png
Setup FLDigi_Thetis_VSPE_Voicemeeter-Banana-Page-2.png (88.12 KiB) Viewed 3863 times

Setup FLDigi_Thetis_VSPE_Voicemeeter-Banana-Page-3.png
Setup FLDigi_Thetis_VSPE_Voicemeeter-Banana-Page-3.png (93.38 KiB) Viewed 3863 times

Setup FLDigi_Thetis_VSPE_Voicemeeter-Banana-Page-4.png
Setup FLDigi_Thetis_VSPE_Voicemeeter-Banana-Page-4.png (88.39 KiB) Viewed 3863 times

I used "Draw.io" software to compose the pages.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:50 pm

Thanks Tom, I've bookmarked your post! :)

Mark

Return to “Digital Mode, Rig Control & Logging Software”