Perhaps my problem belongs most closely to 'Rig Control...Software'

KA5KKT

Perhaps my problem belongs most closely to 'Rig Control...Software'

Postby KA5KKT » Mon May 29, 2023 11:55 pm

I've changed setups and more recently, my computer.

I'm trying to configure RNA Software's "SWR Plotter" to operate with Thetis v2.9.0.8 under Windows 11. Upon executing SWR Plotter it is required to connect to a properly configured COM Port.

The computer is a desktop replacement laptop. It is connected to the internet via USB C to a hub with an ethernet port then to the laptop via USB C. The Anan connects to the laptop via a ethernet to USB C adaptor. The operation of the Anan seems fine. I output from the computer to a 27" desktop monitor.

It seems that SWR Plotter needs to talk to my Anan 7000DLE MKII, Protocol 2...no onboard CPU/OS. I am somewhat able to use com0com and other COM Port configuration software to a degree but it seems that age is catching up with me. I don't recall how I last had everthing configured on the previous computer to accomplish successful communication between Anan-Thetis and SWR Plotter.

Useful suggestions and non-expert language are welcomed.

Kind regards,
Dick - KA5KKT
wevets@gmail.com

Re: Perhaps my problem belongs most closely to 'Rig Control...Software'

Postby wevets@gmail.com » Tue May 30, 2023 8:55 pm

Dick,

You use Com0Com to make PAIRS of ports. You are creating a virtual Com cable with Com0Com. You add 1 side of the connection to the application (SWR software I presume) and the other side of the pair to Thetis via the CAT form in Setup. Likely you also need to tell the Application what radio you are talking too - easiest choice is gong to be a Kenwood TS-2000.

Hope that helps.

Steve KA6S
KA5KKT

Re: Perhaps my problem belongs most closely to 'Rig Control...Software'

Postby KA5KKT » Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:06 pm

Thanks for the reply Steve.

It seems my problems probably lie a step (or two) ahead of what I outlined in my post above. My innate talents predomiaantly lay in the realm of structural (3D?) visualization. I was an architect by training and profession. Electronics and computer innards don't come naturally to me. Beyond plugging in a USB devicce and noting that evokes a connection or sorts I just haven't grasp the picture of Com Ports and their connections and configurations. The Anan 7000 doesn't show in my devices anywhere and I'm falling a bit short of knowing how to assign a COM Port to it or vice-versa.

Configuration expressios in the computer regarding devices and connections above 'User-Friendly Language' tend to excape me.

Kind regards,
Dick - KA5KKT

Return to “Digital Mode, Rig Control & Logging Software”