fwd and ref pwr readings stuck on 45 and 50 watts respectively

bigbird1

fwd and ref pwr readings stuck on 45 and 50 watts respectively

Postby bigbird1 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:18 am

Hi Guys. I have a problem with my ANAN 8000DLE using Protocol 2 and Thetis 2.9.0 of 4/4/22.

I would appreciate some guidance with a problem on the Thetis meter. Operating the PTT and not speaking immediately brings up 45 watts on the FWD power setting or 50 watts on the REF power setting. The SWR reading remains stuck on 1.0:1 even when the load is not 50 Ohms. These readings do not change when I speak or change the power setting. I still get what I expect to see on the ANAN LCD power bar graphs and the LCD screen still indicates what I expect to see for SWR. If I change the power setting the voltage readings change on pins 4 and 5 of J4 (and on pins 1 and 2 of J12 on the Control Board). External power meter and external SWR readings are as expected. I get a similar result for digital and CW modes. Can anyone advise me as to whether the protection circuits are still working in these circumstances. Any ideas on how to fix the problem would also be greatly appreciated.

Brian
VK3BD
w-u-2-o

Re: fwd and ref pwr readings stuck on 45 and 50 watts respectively

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:59 pm

It sounds like you have the schematics.

I've never bothered to see how all the boards are interconnected in my 8000, but I believe control board J5 goes to spreadout board J10, which then connects the forward and reverse voltage lines over the spreadout PCB to spreadout J2, and thence to Orion J16.

You could check the integrity of that path.

However, it might just be easier to first try to backup and reset your database to see if it is somehow a corrupted database. If that doesn't work, then certainly look for loose connectors and/or get out the voltmeter.
bigbird1

Postby bigbird1 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:35 am

Tks Scott. And a special thank you for all the time and effort you put into this website; you must spend hours and hours on it!

Yes, I do have the circuits but I have lot of trouble following the inter-connections. Working from memory I mucked up on the pin numbers and location for the control board so here is a short rehash as a correction. Forward and reverse power voltages are generated on the TR Switching & PS Coupler Board and appear at Pin 1 and Pin 2 of J4. A ribbon cable makes the voltages available to Pin 1 and Pin 2 of J2 on the Control Board. It looks as if the voltages are being correctly handled by the Atmega because the fwd and rev powers are showing on the LCD bar graphs. So too is the SWR reading.

I will let you know if a reinstall of Thetis fixes the metering problem (I sure hope so).

Thank you again Scott.

Brian of Barwite
bigbird1

Postby bigbird1 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:57 am

problem fixed. Finally tracked down the various cables. The fwd pwr and ref pwr voltages are picked up at the Control Board on the Alex Header socket (which may be J1) and go to the Orion Mk2 board at J15. Cable was not seated properly at J15. Apache Labs only provided me with circuits for the Angelia board so I will have to follow up to see if I can get the circuits for the Orion MK2 board.

Thank you again Scott.

Brian of Barwtie

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”