FlexControl knob under Thetis

Tom-KJ4WQ

FlexControl knob under Thetis

Postby Tom-KJ4WQ » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:02 am

Looking for a roadmap to getting my FlexControl working again. Had it working before moving to Thetis, but the setup details under mRX-PS have been lost locally. Radio is 7000 MkII; old radio was 10e. Windows 10 Pro, updated.

I remember having to run (once) some instance of Flex Radio's SDR program (to install the dll, I guess), plus DDUtil v2, plus vspMgr. Plus, there was a certain sequence to loading the various programs. But, when it worked, having a physical tuning knob was a joy to use.

Knob is recognized as Com 3 in PC. Using DDutil2 (ver 3 never worked for me), I have Knob set as Com3, and enabled. Have Com 3 visible in vspMgr. Not sure about settings in DDUtil, Ports tab. I can't find anything in my old screen shots of the mRX setup that hint of the Knob's setup.

Appreciate any help--thank you.

Tom KJ4WQ
w-u-2-o

Re: FlexControl knob under Thetis

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:59 pm

Tom,

I don't use FlexControl, but I do use DDUtil fairly extensively. I recommend you proceed as follows:

1. Uninstall any and all versions of DDUtil you have installed.
2. Download and install DDUtil 3.2.6.22; see this link: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3040
3. Create a single virtual serial cable port pair in VSPM; for instance "COM19/COM20" (use appropriate port numbers for your PC, of course).

- Note that I have found that VSPM is the least stable of the three available virtual serial port software applications, the other two being com0com and Eterlogic VSPE. I prefer VSPE even though it costs $25.

4. Connect DDUtil to Thetis by using that serial port pair
- In DDUtil>Setup>Features select Legacy Mode and assign COM19 (I'll just continue to use my example port names)
- In Thetis>Setup>CAT Control>CAT>CAT Control assign COM20, fastest baud rate, parity none, data bits 8, stop bits 1, and check Enable CAT

At this point you should see that DDUtil is connected to Thetis by looking at the status in the title bar of the DDUtil window.

5. Setup DDUtil for FlexControl as shown here: http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php?title=TKnob

Scott
Tom-KJ4WQ

Postby Tom-KJ4WQ » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:47 am

Scott,

Thank you for your prompt reply, and for graciously redirecting me to post here.

So, I have followed your suggestions, including ditching VSPM in favor of VSPE for which I'm awaiting a license key.

However, I am unable to find the secret of getting DDUtil to connect to Thetis via the virtual pair, COM 6 and COM7.

I've assembled a dot PNG file showing the various elements. Hopefully, you can direct me further.

As for the FlexControl knob itself, I'm having trouble getting the device to show up in Windows. I'm following some HelpDesk documents from Flex in that regard. Need to get the driver re-installed.

Thanks again,
Tom
Attachments
KJ4WQ (2).PNG
KJ4WQ (2).PNG (357.88 KiB) Viewed 7165 times
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:03 pm

Tom,

VSPE does need to be running before anything else. To automate VSPE on startup, see this topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2779&p=5296

Also, I'm not certain that VSPE will run for any length of time without the license key.

More importantly, my apologies, I forgot to tell you to check "DEMO/HPSDR" in DDUtil > Setup > Features. Do that and restart DDUtil.

I found this article about reinstalling the Flexcontrol driver: https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/205004159-How-to-Manually-Reinstall-the-SmartSDR-FlexControl-Driver-

I have no idea where you find those programs or the drivers for download, though.

Scott
Tom-KJ4WQ

Postby Tom-KJ4WQ » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:04 pm

Scott,

Finally got back to this...

Installed VSPE registration key. And after moving FlexControl knob to another USB hub port, I noticed it was recognized (finally!) as COM3. My virtual pair (COM5&6) in VSPE was established between DDUtils and Thetis. In DDutils setup, Knob tab, entered COM3.

And the knob worked! Noticed that DDutils still showed disconnected. When I saw your note about checking DEMO/HPSDR in DDUtils setup , it then showed connected!

Everything seems to work: the (tuning) knob, its integral push switch, and the three programmable switches as well. Each switch has 3 modes (short push, long...)

I had seen the FlexRadio note on reloading the driver--but thank you. That was going to be my next step although I had found a Flex1500 driver in System32/drivers.

For those unfamiliar with FlexControl, I've attached a picture. FlexRadio still shows them available for purchase. I was intrigued by pictures of your MIDI controller (very nicely labeled, Scott), but at this point the FlexControl is good enough for now.

Thanks, Scott, for your assistance.

Tom
Attachments
IMG_4151.JPG
IMG_4151.JPG (1.52 MiB) Viewed 7059 times
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:52 pm

Great news, Tom :)

If you would be so kind as to post where folks could download the drivers that would make this topic a comprehensive reference for the next person who wants to do this.
Tom-KJ4WQ

Postby Tom-KJ4WQ » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:07 am

Yes, thanks again, Scott.

My suggestion is to visit flexradio.com/downloads. Under the directory of file listings, go to Discontinued Products, PowerSDR, Installers and Release Notes, PowerSDR v.2.7.2 Installer. Other versions may work; I used this one.

Download and run the installer. Open the folder thus created and notice folders (for both 32- and 64-bit) called 1500 Driver and FlexControl. The drivers appear to be here along with the utilities described in the link Scott referenced on 19 July (above). The appropriate driver may have been loaded already by the installer.

Under Win10, at least, look in Windows/System32/drivers. I found flex1500.sys there. However, the file date indicates it was loaded many years ago. I last ran the installer a few weeks ago in an attempt to get things working again. I'm afraid I'm at the edge of my knowledge about Windows drivers in so far as when/if they get overwritten.

Oh, and a correction to the post above (22 July): my operative virtual COM port pair is 6 and 7 as shown in the screen shot. Use any unused pair whose members are not assigned to physical COM ports.

Good luck, and 73.

Tom
ag4us

Postby ag4us » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:26 pm

Hello

I have read all the posts on this subject and tried to get the FlexControl knob to change frequency on my Anan 7000 under Windows 7 Ultimate to no avail.
Is there anybody on the forum that can give a step by step on this procedure?
Running Thetis v2.9.0.6 x64
BTW, the knob works fine using N4PY's TenTec software on a TenTec receiver.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gus, 73 de AG4US
Clark

Postby Clark » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:31 pm

Hello Gus, did you ever get the Flex Control Knob working on Thetis. I have DDUtil working and com0com installed and configured, so it "appears" it will work. I need to get a control knob to confirm my configuration. Didn't want to spend $200 unnecessarily.

Thanks
Clark
WT4L
ag4us

Postby ag4us » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:07 pm

Hello Clark

I listen to you guys quite often on 75 meters at night. I have learned a lot from all of you, so, a big thank you!
I'm in the middle of replacing computers with a more modern and beefier one.
When finished, I will try the procedure outlined above, I don't quite remember seeing it before.
I'll keep you posted and look forward to a QSO.
73 de AG4US, Gus.

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”