Is RX2 disconnected?

Dan

Is RX2 disconnected?

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:15 pm

This is relative to the Anan 7000DLE MII.
When I switch the antenna from RX1 to another transceiver, I then disconnect the 500 foot long wire from RX2. I do this as a precautionary measure as not to overload ADC1.
The question is, when RX2 is not enabled in Thetis, is RX2 physically disconnected from ADC1?

Thank you, Dan KM6CQ
w-u-2-o

Re: Is RX2 disconnected?

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:27 pm

The answer is "No".

There is an option in Setup > General > Ant/Filters > Antenna, "Gnd BPF2 on Tx", but that's it.

If you are concerned there are a number of commercially available RF limiters out there. Just Google "rf limiter", or put "rf limiter" into eBay.

Most of them are using the same pin diode limiter approach, indeed most are probably using the same pin diodes! You'll generally see them claim protection up to 1W (+30dbm) of input power. You want output power to be limited to +13dBm max. or thereabouts.

Perhaps the most famous example in amateur radio circles is the DX Engineering "Receiver Guard". It claims to accept up to 10W on the input. It is probably the most expensive solution, though.

Even at DX Engineering prices it's still cheap insurance. Everyone should have a limiter on the RX2 input.
Dan

Re: Is RX2 disconnected?

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:57 pm

Thank you Scott,
I ordered what I needed so I will not turn ADC1 into a fuse.

Regards, Dan KM6CQ

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”