Apollo amp for 14-bit Hermes

LA2NI

Re: Special Production Run Hermes 14 bit.

Postby LA2NI » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:15 pm

Hi.
I just got aware of the new production of 14 bit Hermes boards and as Scott mentioned the Apollo board, I can inform that I have all the CAD documents in Altium Designer format for the latest layout of Apollo done by YO6OGJ, Endre.
I have made 4 of this Apollo version and they all works fine. The power output is around 20W PEP on all bands up to 50 MHz and it has a built in ATU with new software.
The main problem is the component situation at the moment. But as this is an old construction (>5 years) I believe that most of the parts can still be available as it seems that it is more modern components that is problematic go get hold of today.
I can ask Endre if he can put the CAD documents to github. The project is Open source.

73, Kjell, LA2NI
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:34 pm

Where is any of this open source info currently located, Kjell?
LA2NI

Postby LA2NI » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:34 am

Hi Scott. As I mentioned, Endre,YO6OGJ did the latest PCB layout of my original Apollo project using Altium Designer. I have to contact him and ask if he can post it on github. I´ll come back with more informations later.
73, Kjell
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:54 am

Kjell,

Is the schematic at the following link still valid on the new PCB?

https://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=Apollo_-_Development_Discussion

Is there a BOM?

Where does the microcontroller code reside?

Thanks,

Scott
LA2NI

Postby LA2NI » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:59 pm

No, this is the original Apollo and we have done several updates after that. The latest tha Endre did was done in 2016. I have not heard anything from him but I can put the .pdf file on github.com/LA2NI
The software for the ATU is in the CPU on Apollo.
73, Kjell
w-u-2-o

Apollo amp for 14-bit Hermes

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:21 pm

@LA2NI

Kjell you misunderstand about "where does the software reside". Restated: where can one find the source code and other information necessary to program the controller on the Apollo?

In fact, right now there is no usable schematic, BOM, assembly information, programming information, Gerbers or anything else for Endre's board, or even any of the older revisions of Apollo, with the possible exception of the original schematic. Without all of that stuff nobody will be able to easily reproduce any revision of the work.

Since both you and/or Andre must have all of these things, are either or both of you willing to post all of that in a publicly accessible place on the internet? It is open source, right?

Thanks,

Scott
LA2NI

Re: Apollo amp for 14-bit Hermes

Postby LA2NI » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:48 pm

Hi Scott.
Please do not be so impatient, everything take time!

I had the Apollo documentation on on an old HDD and had to find it. I first found only the .pdf files but now I also have found the Altium files. And Endre has been traveling, I reached him on the phone tonight and we discussed how to proceide. Due to the problem getting components at the moment,we must see if all components are available today. This can be the PA Transistors and relays but also other parts, also the CPU.

Endre has earlier told me that he knows companies that can make the Apollo v.3 in Romania for a reasonable cost so if we can get a list of Hams that are interested, even that can be an alternative.

The Gerber files and all the rest of the information is going to be published on github, probably by Endre. I have the software and it will also be published. The ATU works OK but can be improved, specially the LED indication is not perfect.

Just for information, I even have a new PCB layout for a 25W PA with LPF that is directly compatible with PSDR and Thetis. I have to find parts that can be found today and then it is going to be published on github. This PA/LPF is much easier to build so it is better than Apollo for Home Brewers.

73, Kjell
LA2NI

Postby LA2NI » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:30 am

I have discussed the publication of the production files with Endre and we agree that it should not be done now as, due to the prroblems to get many of the components, some modifications has to be done.
But I think we also need to know if there are enough HAM´s that are interested in this project after it has been updated.To have a small series prodused I thing we need at least 50 to 100 pcs. Otherwise the cost is too high. If someone is willing to make a common buy of components, even with a complete BOM, thee is a lot of work. But it can be done.
Take a look at my github site: https://github.com/LA2NI/Apollo-Rev.3
Here you find a .pdf file and a BOM. If you like what you see and want to get one, either fully assembled or as a kit (asuming that someone does a common buy of PCB´s and components), please contact me directly or on the forum.
73, LA2NI, Kjell
e-mail: la2ni@online.no
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:11 am

Kjell,

If someone wants to go it alone would you be willing to release the Gerbers or other PCB design files? And the software for the microcontroller? Or will you only allow the design be produced through you?

Scott
LA2NI

Postby LA2NI » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:03 pm

Yes, of course I´ll do that but first the modifications must be done. As it is now, several components are very difficult to find and the new PA transistors are much better than the original RD16HHF1, specially on 50 MHz.
The new firmware and source code for Apolo is also going to be published.

73, Kjell

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”