any issue running 7000DLE mk2 sitting on its side?

nostatic

any issue running 7000DLE mk2 sitting on its side?

Postby nostatic » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:27 pm

While I ponder doing surgery on my new 7000 to fix a noisy fan, I'm curious if there is any issue with using the radio sitting on its side. The fan area is actually more open/exposed (nothing taller beside it). The fan is silent that way. Seems it shouldn't matter but figured I'd ask the question.
w-u-2-o

Re: any issue running 7000DLE mk2 sitting on its side?

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:51 pm

There's no reason that you can't do this. It will be fine on its side.
nostatic

Postby nostatic » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:18 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:There's no reason that you can't do this. It will be fine on its side.

awesome - thanks! Just trying to avoid any magic smoke coming out :D
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:55 pm

This is a really interesting idea. Recently my wife has downsized to a smaller QTH. Due to space constraints we are looking for any ideas of how we can stick more stuff in any given area. The same rules have effected my favorite hobby. I believe that by sitting my 7000 on one side, I can accomplish this and as Nostatic states, it just might be better for cooling. For me this would put the transceiver fan further away from the cooling fins on my 50 amp power supply, which are always rather warm. The only con is I'll have to turn my head sideways to read the name on the transceiver. :lol: Thank you for this interesting and "simple" idea!
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
nostatic

Postby nostatic » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:47 am

I just put some stick-on feet on the side and ran it no issue. That said, the issue that was making me think orthogonal (noisy fan) got fixed today. I pulled the back panel and as suspected the power cable for the fan had migrated to inside the fan housing real estate. Thankfully a quick fix - just reach in and move the wire loop out of the way and button it back up. I'm back running horizontal, but vertical certainly is an option for space constraints.

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”