Thetis and baby loop.

GW4NNO

Thetis and baby loop.

Postby GW4NNO » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:05 am

My Ciro Mazzoni Baby Loop- magnetic loop antenna works great with my FTDX5000. I have FTDX5000 connected to the loop controller via an RS232 cable. The controller automatically tunes the loop as I change band and frequency on my FTDX5000. Is it possible to make Thetis and my 7000DLe mark ii tune the loop automatically in the same way? I presume I would need to add an RS232 port to my PC (windows 11) and then configure Thetis in some way. Has anyone done this successfully with the Baby Loop? What config would I need to set up in Thetis and how would I do it?

Any info gratefully received Thanks.
oe3ide

Re: Thetis and baby loop.

Postby oe3ide » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:30 am

GW4NNO wrote:My Ciro Mazzoni Baby Loop- magnetic loop antenna works great with my FTDX5000. I have FTDX5000 connected to the loop controller via an RS232 cable. The controller automatically tunes the loop as I change band and frequency on my FTDX5000. Is it possible to make Thetis and my 7000DLe mark ii tune the loop automatically in the same way? I presume I would need to add an RS232 port to my PC (windows 11) and then configure Thetis in some way. Has anyone done this successfully with the Baby Loop? What config would I need to set up in Thetis and how would I do it?

Any info gratefully received Thanks.

Hi,
you would need a USB to serial cable/adapter. If you plug this into your PC you will get a new COM-Port. In Thetis (Setup -> Serial/Network/Midi CAT) enable desired CAT-Control and select the newly assigned COM-Port.
In the loop-controller select Kenwood-protocoll.

Example https://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-c4/usb-converters-c213/usb-to-serial-converter-lite-p479

73 Ernst
GW4NNO

Re: Thetis and baby loop.

Postby GW4NNO » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:41 am

Thanks so much Ernst, it all sounds quite straight forward then. I'll certainly give this a go!

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”