Rack Mounting G2-1K5 Transceiver & ANAN 1K5 Amp

WR4N

Rack Mounting G2-1K5 Transceiver & ANAN 1K5 Amp

Postby WR4N » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:25 pm

I have both the G2-1K5 Transceiver and the ANAN 1K5 Amplifier on order (I will use the Amplifier with my current ANAN 7000 DLE MKIII). NOTE: Please, no comments about "wait time," being a glutton for punishment, etc. I have been an A.L. customer for many years and have complete faith that I will receive my orders.

I am trying to prepare for Rack Mounting both of these, as they appear to be made with that in mind. However, the measurement designations are not the same for both, and the measurements themselves seem slightly off. Keep in mind, I realize that the G2-1K5 dimensions were probably written for the original 500-watt model; that is a variable I am considering. Both the TRANSCEIVER & AMPLIFIER show measurements for LENGTH & HEIGHT - but the TRANSCEIVER adds a measurement for DEPTH, while the AMPLIFIER adds a measurement for WIDTH? Converted to Inches, the measurements are as follows:

TRANSCEIVER: Length = 16.54" / Height = 5.32" / DEPTH = 15.67"

AMPLIFIER: Length = 19.56" / Height = 5.44" / WIDTH = 15.12"

Perhaps "DEPTH" was meant to be "WIDTH"? But regardless, standard Rack Mounts are 19" (even though the standard - true width is often noted as 18.31"). I know there are "Commercial" Racks that are wider; I am just trying to get an idea of the true dimensions of these two pieces of equipment. The ENCLOSURES / CASES appear to be identical - so one would assume that the dimensions would be identical. I would welcome any information on the true dimensions of these items.

Blessings & 73,
David
WR4N
ANAN 7000 DLE MKIII
Thetis 2.10.3.6 x64 (1/28/24) dev_2
HP VICTUS (Gaming Laptop) - Intel Core i7 - 16GB memory - 512GB SSD - NVIDIA Graphics - WINDOWS 10

Best 73s,
WR4N - David
w-u-2-o

Re: Rack Mounting G2-1K5 Transceiver & ANAN 1K5 Amp

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:19 am

As usual, with Apache there is no way to tell what reality will be until products start to arrive in the user's hands and people make actual measurements.

It's easy to be quite skeptical of the measurements shown on the website:

- The photos imply that both units are packaged in the same chassis, so there is no reason for the differences in measurements.

- The two heights, 135 and 138 millimeters, do not conform to the 19" rack standard. A standard rack height (1U) unit is 1.75". Thus the heights specified are less than 3U and far greater than 2U. It would not fit very well in a rack that way.

- What appear to be rack mounting ears in the photos are not provisioned with standard openings for rack mounting screws. How this would work in a standard 19" equipment rack is anyone's guess.

- As pictured, the gauge of metal on the front panel seems very thin for units that weigh on the order of 30 lbs. Rear mounted rack supports or even rails may be necessary for rack mounting.

- The width measurements do not correlate well with the photos. If we assume that the chassis are intended for rack mounting, then the width of the main part of the chassis seems to be very close to the maximum allowable 465 mm.
WR4N

Re: Rack Mounting G2-1K5 Transceiver & ANAN 1K5 Amp

Postby WR4N » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:24 am

w-u-2-o wrote:As usual, with Apache there is no way to tell what reality will be until products start to arrive in the user's hands and people make actual measurements.

It's easy to be quite skeptical of the measurements shown on the website:

- The photos imply that both units are packaged in the same chassis, so there is no reason for the differences in measurements.

- The two heights, 135 and 138 millimeters, do not conform to the 19" rack standard. A standard rack height (1U) unit is 1.75". Thus the heights specified are less than 3U and far greater than 2U. It would not fit very well in a rack that way.

- What appear to be rack mounting ears in the photos are not provisioned with standard openings for rack mounting screws. How this would work in a standard 19" equipment rack is anyone's guess.

- As pictured, the gauge of metal on the front panel seems very thin for units that weigh on the order of 30 lbs. Rear mounted rack supports or even rails may be necessary for rack mounting.

- The width measurements do not correlate well with the photos. If we assume that the chassis are intended for rack mounting, then the width of the main part of the chassis seems to be very close to the maximum allowable 465 mm.

As always, excellent insights. Thank you!
ANAN 7000 DLE MKIII
Thetis 2.10.3.6 x64 (1/28/24) dev_2
HP VICTUS (Gaming Laptop) - Intel Core i7 - 16GB memory - 512GB SSD - NVIDIA Graphics - WINDOWS 10

Best 73s,
WR4N - David

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”