MK III sequence issues

Bricked your radio? Can't get it to program? Ask here...
Carajo

MK III sequence issues

Postby Carajo » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:58 pm

hi Gang yesterday i received my MK III and installed protocol 2 with no issues, then loaded Thetis version 2.9.06. and I Get sequence errors, and its driving me crazy. I was recommended to revert back to protocol 1, while the issue with the Mark III and Protocol 2 gets resolved, I have a Question how do i accomplish that,(reverting back to protocol 1) and can i still use Thetis or do i need to download a HPSDR version. Thanks for your time very 73, Ed
kk4x Tampa Fl
w-u-2-o

Re: MK III sequence issues

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:37 pm

Carajo wrote:hi Gang yesterday i received my MK III and installed protocol 2 with no issues, then loaded Thetis version 2.9.06. and I Get sequence errors, and its driving me crazy.

First, seq errors with no audible glitches on the audio can safely be ignored.

Second, seq errors can often be mitigated by putting the ANAN on a dedicated Ethernet port installed on the PC.

I was recommended to revert back to protocol 1, while the issue with the Mark III and Protocol 2 gets resolved

There is no "issue" with the Mark III and Protocol 2 per se. There are issues with Protocol 2 overall. P2 firmware puts greater demands on both the FPGA (to achieve timing closure) and the Ethernet connection (Gigabit speeds and UDP packet loss rates). Some ANAN units have difficulty with it, although this tends to be rare. More often it's network related and it can fixed as described above.

It's unlikely that there will be any more versions of Protocol 2 firmware made in the foreseeable future, so waiting for another version is not a good choice.

I have a Question how do i accomplish that,(reverting back to protocol 1) and can i still use Thetis or do i need to download a HPSDR version.

You install P1 exactly the same way you install P2, using Bootloader. Did you use Bootloader to load P2? It is strongly recommended over using any other method. Directions are here if you need them:

https://community.apache-labs.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2333

P1 firmware can be found here:

https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Firmware/tree/master/Protocol%201

Be sure to read carefully and choose the correct version of P1 for your hardware. Don't worry, you can't brick it if you load the wrong stuff, it simply won't work. Just use Bootloader and do it again.

You can use Thetis with P1 firmware.

P.S. please avoid making duplicate posts.
Carajo

Re: MK III sequence issues

Postby Carajo » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:02 pm

Hello, Prior to hooking up my MK III i was running a MK II wtih no issues at all. You mention that Most MKIII dont have the sequence issue wth Protocol II, so that means i need to get mine replaced or repaired with a New Working ANAN MK III that will Accept Protocol II. that was the whole reason for me to purchase it. I have now set it back to Protocol I. it works fine but not as it should with the higher internet speeds.

Return to “Upgrading/Downgrading”