Error: Can't open interface are you running as root

Bricked your radio? Can't get it to program? Ask here...
n2gq

Error: Can't open interface are you running as root

Postby n2gq » Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:09 am

Error: Can't open interface are you running as root, is the message I receive when trying to program with the bootloader. I try running as administrator but it still come up with that message. I have the bootloader switch on radio has a hearbeat but when off the radio heartbeat is solid. I was trying to burn the beta firmware and it seemed to freeze never recovering. I have a 7000del mk3 and used this firmware Metis_Orion_MkIII_P2_CV_21.7.rbf before trying the beta firmware. I had downloaded this beta firmware Orion_MkIII_Protocol_2_v2.1.27G.rbf.

I had installed the wrong firmware I figured out while writing this. Now how to install the proper firmware. I can't get a connection.
I used HPSDRProgrammer_web_v0.2.7_windows and could not connect.
I have it direct to a network adapter. I went to auto dhcp.

Jay n2gq
Jay N2GQ
w-u-2-o

Re: Error: Can't open interface are you running as root

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:45 am

Use Bootloader.

Instructions: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2333
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:18 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Use Bootloader.

Instructions: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2333

Well I just put bootloader and firmware on my laptop and I followed the instructions and at first switching the bootloader switch on and nothing happened. Then I switched back to off position and the same thing happened, no connection. Then again power cycled and put the bootloader switch to on position and finally made a connection. Bootloader did not accept the new beta but it did accept the last protocol 2 firmware. Does it have something to do with the Metis missing in the file name?

Jay n2gq
Jay N2GQ
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:55 pm

Jay--you MUST follow the instructions METICULOUSLY or you will be disappointed. These instructions have been well proven over the years. All of the problems you are having with switch and power sequencing and file naming are because you are not carefully following the instructions.

From the instructions:

7. Click "Browse" in the Board Programmer section. Select the rbf file you want. If you get an error message you may need to rename the rbf file to "metis.rbf" because of some old code in the programmer.
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:45 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Jay--you MUST follow the instructions METICULOUSLY or you will be disappointed. These instructions have been well proven over the years. All of the problems you are having with switch and power sequencing and file naming are because you are not carefully following the instructions.

From the instructions:

7. Click "Browse" in the Board Programmer section. Select the rbf file you want. If you get an error message you may need to rename the rbf file to "metis.rbf" because of some old code in the programmer.

Yes I was able to program the protocol 2 release just fine radio is ok.
The bootloader did not accept the beta file. Will rename just wanted to be sure.
Jay N2GQ
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:58 pm

[/quote]

Yes I was able to program the protocol 2 release just fine radio is ok.
The bootloader did not accept the beta file. Will rename just wanted to be sure.[/quote]

Awesome, the renaming worked fine.
Thank you for your help.

Jay
Jay N2GQ

Return to “Upgrading/Downgrading”