7000DLE MKII Upgrading Help

Bricked your radio? Can't get it to program? Ask here...
W8JJ

7000DLE MKII Upgrading Help

Postby W8JJ » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:58 pm

I purchased a used 7000DLE MKII in December 2020 from a private seller. With the help of John, K2YN, I was on the air in no time starting my SDR journey. I must say it's my favorite radio ever after 30 years as an amateur operator and it has worked flawlessly. I am still running Thetis v2.8.11 dated (10/20/2020). However, I am ready to upgrade to the latest firmware (if applicable) and a newer version of Thetis. I feel like I need to get some questions answered first. Thus, I am seeking the council of the user community before taking on this task. Here are my concerns:

1. I want to share my serial number to see if my unit requires any special handling before attempting any firmware upgrades. I note several threads concerning a jumper issue and I am not sure if this applies to my rig. I think my serial number is 075 and I've attached a photo taken from the decal located on the bottom of the case (See attachment). The reason that I'm not sure about the serial number is because other users report a different style decal with a different numbering format. What is the actual serial number of my radio and does it impact next steps regarding any firmware upgrades?

2. I am not 100% sure what firmware version that I'm running as I've yet to find an Anan user with setup tab information that is formatted like mine. So, I've attached a screen capture from the Setup menu to get your feedback. Specifically, the tab does not indicated explicitly protocol 2. The H/W select tab reads as follows: Ver: 2.0 and ID: OrionMKII (See attachment). Does this mean my firmware is version 2.0? Or, is this an indication of protocol 2? Whenever, I ask on-air users about this information they seem perplexed at my observation and indicate their tab has more information than mine.

3. I also have questions about how to complete a Thetis upgrade without losing any of my set up data and profile information. However, I will make a second post once we work through these questions and I get a better understanding of where my radio is situated in the production evolution and any recommended next steps to upgrade this particular unit.

I've been dragging my feet on doing upgrades as I did not want to take a risk of the radio going down because I enjoy it so much. But, the time has come to keep moving forward and ride the development wave with the rest of you!

73 Tim W8JJ
Attachments
Serial Number.PNG
Serial Number.PNG (50.71 KiB) Viewed 4165 times
HW Select.PNG
HW Select.PNG (131.19 KiB) Viewed 4165 times
K1LSB

Re: 7000DLE MKII Upgrading Help

Postby K1LSB » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:46 pm

Hi Tim,

The first thing I would strongly urge you do is to Export your database as it is currently configured with all of your settings (the button to do that is at the bottom of the Setup window). That way at least you have a digital snapshot of all of your settings that you can retrieve if you ever need to.

I'll let someone else walk you through the process of upgrading your firmware and software, there are far more knowledgeable folks on that subject in here than myself.

Good luck with your efforts!

Mark

Return to “Upgrading/Downgrading”