Random Wide TX on a 10E and Thetis

WA3O

Random Wide TX on a 10E and Thetis

Postby WA3O » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:14 am

Hello Group,

I have a random problem with My 10E and the latest Thetis 2.9.0 and a wide transmit that has something to do with pure signal. If I notice it ( I can see it on the TX spectrum) all that is needed to stop it is to unkey and key back up. When people hear it on the receiving end it's very wide, jittery and echoes.

I know it has something to do with pure signal because, I was transmitting one time when it happened I stayed keyed up and turned off the pure signal and it went away.

I have also seen and heard this problem on a Hermese lite using Thetis and have worked a few guys with 10e's that have commented about this trouble.

I have used PowerSDR MRX with pure signal and there seems to be no problem with it.

I have a 7000 and use the same exact Thetis 2.9.0 ( changing the settings for the radio) and it works 100%.

Anyone with a 10E or a Hermese have this trouble? Any thoughts or fixes?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong topic as it transcends 10E, Thetis and pure signal. please move it if you feel there is a better location.

Forgot to mention the 10E is on protocol 1 and so is the 7000DLEMKII.

Thank you.

73's

Mike WA3O
I4LEC

Re: Random Wide TX on a 10E and Thetis

Postby I4LEC » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:05 pm

Mike,
I am experiencing the same thing since the early days of Thetis, up to the point that once I thought to came back to Power SDR MRX PS, but given today's Thetis features, it is hard to make such a step back.
I do confirm taking place only when PS is engaged, it randomly happens after several PTT ON (8/10)

Mine is an ANAN10 16bits (Hermes board) still on protocol 1

73, Clay I4LEC
ON8EI

Postby ON8EI » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:38 am

Hello Mike, it's always great to talk to you on the radio and drop in anytime you hear us on this side of the pond.

As you know I have the latest version Hermes Lite 2 and when pure signal was on I had that problem.

I followed you suggestion and switched it off, since then all good.

I appreciate your input and I love that homebrew amp on your QRZ page.

Wishing you well. de ON8EI John. 73's
WA3O

Postby WA3O » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:34 pm

Hello Group,

I am posting back to say I have found that using "Single Cal" has fixed the random wide TX. This was suggested by Juergen from the Hermes Lite from google groups.

I don't know exactly what "Single Cal" does...but the random not appeared since doing this.

Thanks!

73's

Mike WA3O
WA3O

Postby WA3O » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:19 am

Hello Group,

There is a Thetis version out that kind of addresses the problem with pure signal with the 10E and the Hermes Lite.
It does this by doing a single signal calibration (PS-A) and locking the pure signal in a manual state after that (PS-M). This must be done if you change frequency or power.

The software can be found here.

https://github.com/sjk7/Thetis-2.9.0

Thanks to G7KLJ for the modification.

73's
Mike WA3O
Last edited by WA3O on Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:05 am

WA3O wrote:The software can be found here...

That's a bad link.

How is the behavior different than doing a Single Cal?
WA3O

Postby WA3O » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:13 am

Link fixed by going to the Github page.

The problem with the 10E and the Hermes happens randomly . The Pure Signal will loose "Lock" and give you a wide TX sporadically. If you do a single calibration and then use manual (PS-M) . it locks the Pure Signal information and its locked from that point forward and stays solid.

The program has been modified to show a the Pure signal button to show PS-A (automatic) or PS-M( manual)

Hope this explains it

73's

Mike WA3O
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:13 pm

Mike--your post is misleading. You wrote:

There is a Thetis version out that kind of addresses the problem with pure signal with the 10E and the Hermes Lite.

This implies that Steve's version fixes a problem with PureSignal on the 10E. While Steve's version (really versions--he's super productive!) incorporates numerous and useful improvements, PureSignal single calibration mode operation remains exactly the same as it has for years, going all the way back to versions of PowerSDR mRX PS even prior to Thetis.

People need to understand that while there may be good reasons to upgrade to the versions that Steve is producing, this is not one of them, and it is not necessary to upgrade if they don't choose to.

This is not to say the change in UI behavior isn't welcome, but it isn't necessary for proper PureSignal operation on any hardware, including the 10E.
WA3O

Postby WA3O » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:27 pm

Scott,

In the past, It was not clear when you were in a "Single CAL" or "Pure Signal manual" mode. What Steve's program does is that it gives you the confirmation by changing the PS- A (automatic) button to a PS-M (manual) button, there for confirming your calibration is now not going to dynamically change . Its a work around, not a "FIX".
73's
Mike WA3O
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:55 pm

It's not a work-around either. It is a UI fix, not a PS fix. PS was not broken. It's not something necessary to make PS work on a 10E.
WA3O

Postby WA3O » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:36 pm

Scott,

It's not something necessary to make PS work on a 10E

Can you please explain how to get PS-A (automatic) working on the 10 e WITHOUT the random intermittent wide TX that happens?

73's

Mike
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:01 pm

I can't do that, Mike. I don't know how.

Do not confuse the fact that Steve has modified the UI to illuminate the PS-A button when a Single Cal correction is in effect with PS being in automatic mode.

I can see now how this might be (is?) confusing.
WA3O

Postby WA3O » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:11 pm

Do not confuse the fact that Steve has modified the UI to illuminate the PS-A button when a Single Cal correction is in effect with PS being in automatic mode.

I can see now how this might be (is?) confusing.

What's confusing is you stating that Pure Signal works with the 10 E. It has random wide TX in Thetis and in PowerSDRMRXPS it doe not.

It's not something necessary to make PS work on a 10E

So what is necessary to make PS work on a 10E Thetis and the 10E WITHOUT the random wide TX?

Thank you.
73's
Mike WA3O
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:34 pm

You yourself posted the answer to this back in February:

WA3O wrote:Hello Group,

I am posting back to say I have found that using "Single Cal" has fixed the random wide TX. This was suggested by Juergen from the Hermes Lite from google groups.

I don't know exactly what "Single Cal" does...but the random not appeared since doing this.

Thanks!

73's

Mike WA3O

What single cal does is it takes a snapshot of a single PS correction calculation and lets that ride. You can hit two tone (or use your voice, but two tone is probably easier) and punch that single cal button as many times as you like until you get a correction that looks good. Then just leave it alone until you change freq or some other operating parameter.
WA3O

Postby WA3O » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:15 pm

What single cal does is it takes a snapshot of a single PS correction calculation and lets that ride.

Yes I agree. However in the past Thetis when you did a "single cal" there was no indication that it actually was using that cal. Steve's version let's me know I am in FACT using that single cal.

That means a lot because when you switch bands, antennas, frequency and power you'll need to do another "single cal"

73's
Mike WA3o
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:21 pm

Agreed, Steve is making a number of important UI improvements. Although given the points you brought up in this topic, it might have been better to illuminate the "Pure Signal2" indicator alone at the bottom right of the spectral display rather than illuminate the PS-A button. Or, perhaps relabel that "PS-S" to more clearly distinguish between the two modes.

Return to “PureSignal Operations (PowerSDR & Thetis)”