Pure Signal issue on Black 7000DLE MKII

rbduck

Pure Signal issue on Black 7000DLE MKII

Postby rbduck » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:14 pm

I recently moved to a new home (new to me). I've been trudging through getting things reconnected and tuned. Today I connected and tuned the AL-80B amplifier. On the output of the amp I have an RF sampler that I was previously using without issue. The brand is CleanRF. I have the output of the sampler connected to EXT1on the rear of the transceiver. At the SETUP>GENERAL>ANT/FILTERS location I have "EXT 1 on Tx" selected. The issue is I am not seeing any feedback from the sampler to EXT1 when I transmit. in this state. Here are my settings on this page.

Without "EXT 1 on Tx" selected, PureSignal works perfectly with the feedback in the transceiver.

With "Ext 1 on Tx" selected and using the amp, I do see a slight bit of feedback. The feedback indicator is Blue with a signal level of 29. Even with no wire connection from the sampler to EXT1 I'm seeing a level of 29. I tried a different cable with the same result. I tested both cables and no problems were found.

My question now is there something else I may have selected (or not) that is opening the path from EXT1 to the PureSignal path in the receiver? I have read through the Richie's notes to see if there is a change I might have missed. I am running Thetis v2.9.0 (4/3/22) (Protocol 2 v2.1.18) MW0LGE 22b (test). The only thing I have really changed ,other than all the updates as they have been available, is the firmware.
I changed from Protocol 2 v2.0.0 to v2.1.18 this morning. Everything else seems to be working fine.

If more detail is needed please advise. Thanks much for the help.
Attachments
PS.png
PS.png (28.2 KiB) Viewed 1781 times
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
w-u-2-o

Re: Pure Signal issue on Black 7000DLE MKII

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:03 pm

The internal RF signal paths on the 7000 do not support EXT for external PureSignal feedback from a coupler. You have to use the Bypass input and select the option for Bypass on TX.

Be careful with the CleanRF product. The adjustable versions are easily capable of generating feedback levels that can damage your 7000.

Be sure to read this topic on safe feedback levels: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2384
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:52 am

w-u-2-o wrote:The internal RF signal paths on the 7000 do not support EXT for external PureSignal feedback from a coupler. You have to use the Bypass input and select the option for Bypass on TX.

Be careful with the CleanRF product. The adjustable versions are easily capable of generating feedback levels that can damage your 7000.

Thanks Scott,

I believe I've read some cautionary information about the CleanRF products. During my initial setup and adjustment with this product I locked the pot down to prevent it from turning. That doesn't mean I won't re-read the suggested information to gain a greater understanding.

I will continue with this on the weekend and post my results. Thanks again Scott!
Ruben
NB4R
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:50 am

w-u-2-o wrote:The internal RF signal paths on the 7000 do not support EXT for external PureSignal feedback from a coupler. You have to use the Bypass input and select the option for Bypass on TX.

Right you were again and it works perfectly. I don't know what I was thinking with my original post. :o :lol:
I purchased this transceiver 2.5 years ago and have had a blast with it ever since.
As someone else said with all the improvements it's like having a new and different radio on a weekly basis.
The only other radio I would really like to try is a 7000 or 8000 with the built in NUC.
Thanks again!
Ruben
NB4R
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:39 pm

Glad you got it sorted, Ruben!

Return to “PureSignal Operations (PowerSDR & Thetis)”