Still learning: PS response time?

K8EZB

Still learning: PS response time?

Postby K8EZB » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:16 am

Somewhat new AL7K user here with a very satidfactory overall experience with this radio over the few months I have owned it. Mostly past the basics and into refinements at this stage. I am trying to better understand what I an seeing on the spectral display when keying the radio and speaking the first 2-3 syllables. For just a fraction of a second, I see a wider than expected signal (outside the TX bandwidth setting) from about -40dB and down, with the higher level portion of the signal within the TX bandwidth setting. After a syllable or two the entire signal at all levels is within the TX bandwidth setting. I am assuming that what I am seeing is a result of PS calculating and applying the required corrections. All other indications normal (levels at each stage, Amp View, etc). And, I am getting superb OTA reports; recent unsolicited report when checking in to a net, "S9+40, broadcast quality audio, best signal on the frequency." So trying to figure out if what I am seeing is normal PS operation, or and indication of some kind of setup or other issue. Reports from other AL7K users indicate no evidence of splatter or other anomalies.

Guidance on this topic?

Thanks,
Rick
K8EZB
K9RX

Re: Still learning: PS response time?

Postby K9RX » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:21 pm

Rick,

I'm curious - are you using any COMP (turned on with some value)? I noticed that if I run COMP the result is, when I start talking, an immediate jump in the signal upper and lower products (the shoulders) ... and it settles down to the normal ~ -55 to -60. With it off it just stays at that level without the initial jump when I start talking.

I've since added another profile that is aggressive for DXing - w/o the COMP on (using CFC and other tools) ... and on occasion, I will turn COMP on with 2 db. The few times I did this - turned it on - I went from calling in a pileup to getting right through... unfortunately the sample size is too small to make any strong conclusion but it is interesting.

Gary
K9RX
K8EZB

Re: Still learning: PS response time?

Postby K8EZB » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:52 pm

are you using any COMP (turned on with some value)?

Gary,

Thanks for your response. COMP is turned off; using CFC and associated settings only.

RB

Return to “PureSignal Operations (PowerSDR & Thetis)”