CAT over TCP/IP rocks! And so does Hamlib!

Can't talk to your radio? This is the place to ask!
w-u-2-o

CAT over TCP/IP rocks! And so does Hamlib!

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:18 pm

Sure, I've been using CAT over TCP/IP with 2.9.0.6 for a while now, but only with my Node Red station automation. Today I went all-in on setting up my commonly used app's to use TCP/IP. Anything with Hamlib works great. You just have to know the secret squirrel stuff, which is to type into the port setting box IP:port, e.g. "127.0.0.1:1800", or whatever you've got Thetis set to. So right where it says "COM10" or the like, just type right over the top of it.

This works with:

- Fldigi (you do have to select Hamlib as the method)
- WSJT-X
- JS8Call

Of course N1MM has TCP/IP now as a normal method, and I know DXLabs will have it soon.

The one disappointment so far is Winlink Express.

I am "this" close to turning off my virtual serial port software for good!
wevets@gmail.com

Re: CAT over TCP/IP rocks! And so does Hamlib!

Postby wevets@gmail.com » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:53 pm

When we built CAT for PiHPSDR - TCP/IP was the first choice because we didn't have pins left on the Raspberry PI to talk to a serial port while also talking to buttons and knobs. The first iteration could handle 3 connections - that seemed like enough and was emulating the multiple serial port connections available in PowerSDR. John finally rewrote the CAT TCP/IP section and built it so the PiHPSDR can handle any number of connections - so you can have as many clients as you want. is Thetis implemented in a similar way??

Thanks,

Steve KA6S
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:29 pm

Yes. You'll find lengthy discussions of the implementation by Richie, MW0LGE, if you search this forum. I don't remember the client limit, but it's a number that is high enough so that it shouldn't matter.
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:40 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:...You just have to know the secret squirrel stuff, which is to type into the port setting box IP:port, e.g. "127.0.0.1:1800", or whatever you've got Thetis set to. So right where it says "COM10" or the like, just type right over the top of it.

Thats works great. I didn't realize it was possible to overwrite the pull-down COM port fields with an IP address. I have TCP/IP set to communicate with Stream Deck and now WSJT-X. Thetis' virtual COM ports are now deactivated.

Paul, W9AC
N4XD

Postby N4XD » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:43 pm

I use TCPIP with multiple programs don't forget to, in Thetis, check "TURN SERVER ON".

Probably intuitive to those IT folks but wasn't for me :)

I now have Thetis talking to both log4om and n1mm+ using TCPIP. Very nice!

Ron
N4XD

Return to “Network Connections & Network Hardware”