ANAN 7000DLE serial 81....Error starting SDR hardware

Can't talk to your radio? This is the place to ask!
pemmel

ANAN 7000DLE serial 81....Error starting SDR hardware

Postby pemmel » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:04 pm

Two days ago my laptop froze up while PowerSDR V3.4.9 was running and I had to power switch the PC off. After that I get "Error starting SDR hardware" message all the time.

Did some reading here. Followed Robs article, very well written, step by step. Still no joy

Bootloader will discover the ANAN but on my PC (laptop) I can never ping it, and I did write the IP address to it already so the ANAN should reply to a ping I think.

192.168.5.2 = ANAN
192.168.5.1 = NIC card laptop or desktop

changed the Ethernet cable to another one. No joy

Install powerSDR software on another PC (desktop) I have here, it never had this software installed. Connected the ANAN directly to an unused NIC card, followed Robs advice. Can not ping the ANAN.

Metric on the laptop set to 1 and same for the desktop, actually they are configured both the same. And the NIC that has the internet on it is set for 100 so that all seems to be correct.

I did NOT try to reinstall ANAN firmware. I think I should at least get a good ping reply before I go and turn this into a $3,000. brick

I have used both the HPSDR programmer and Bootloader, Bootloader seems to discover ANAN while the programmer does not.

On my laptop I run Acronis and I do full backups of drive C, I could do a full restore of Drive C but I am holding off on that because if I cant get a ping reply from ANAN then I think restoring drive C is a waste of time.

So my question is what did I miss ?
And is their a card inside the ANAN 7000DLE that maybe took a hit and I am looking at a hardware issue here ?

Honestly if I didn't absolutely love this radio I would be at HRO with an ICOM 7300 in my cart right now.

One last thing, network lights seems normal, left one green solid, right one green blinking but not blinking very often. On either the PC or the ANAN, green lights look normal.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Pete K4LLE

ps: good pic of the radio on QRZ
w-u-2-o

Re: ANAN 7000DLE serial 81....Error starting SDR hardware

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:50 pm

If Bootloader finds it but you can't ping it, then either

a) You are forgetting to move the Bootloader switch back to the normal position (seems doubtful given the technical nature of your post)

b) The IPV4 settings on your NIC are wrong (again, unlikely)

c) The firmware needs to be reloaded and the IP address re-written using Bootloader (although it's not clear how this could become corrupted, but sometimes it does).

Try reloading the firmware and resetting the IP address using Bootloader (read the sticky topics here, first: viewforum.php?f=18)
pemmel

Postby pemmel » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:10 pm

Thanks Scott for the quick reply

Bootloader says check for J1 when the switch is in the normal/run position so between that and I did mark it before I touched it I think it is as expected.

I did use bootloader to re-write the IP to ANAN 192.168.5.2, still no joy on the ping

double checked IPV4 on the NIC and it looks ok on all panels

I will read the notes you suggest and get read to re-load firmware. This is like doing an inflight engine restart in a single engine Cessna, with your family in the back seats................

Will post an update later today.
Thanks again
Pete
DO2ZA Erwin

Postby DO2ZA Erwin » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:21 pm

may be a problem with the firewall??
Anan 7000DLE MK2 black, P.2 v2.1.18, WIN 10, 10.0.18362 (1903), i7-7700 @3.60 Ghz, 2x Monitor 24"@144 Hz and 1x 32" Monitor @120 FPS for Thetis
pemmel

Postby pemmel » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:52 pm

I run Bitdefender over here, very satisfied with it. I did go in and change it to allow always everything on that NIC, I did that yesterday and nothing changed. Am still considering un-installing Bitdefender just to see if anything changes.

So I updated the ANAN firmware.
Got Protocal 1, downloaded it, asked bootloader to load it, got an error msg that made no sense to me. Re-named the RBF to "metis.rbf" no more error msg from bootloader.
From the status messages I saw in bootloader lower lefthand corner it looks like everything moved along as I would expect, did an erase first then it loaded the RBF. Then told me to power cycle. powered down, reset the switch to normal/run.

I did use bootloader to write the IP again before I reset the switch and powered down.

restart PC and power up ANAN
PING...no joy
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:25 pm

The metis renaming nonsense is covered in the instructions I referenced. It is annoying!

Try doing a Windows repair operation: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Use SFC first, then DISM.

Super basic questions: do you get a link light on the ANAN when it is running in normal mode (not Bootloader)? Do you get a link light on the PC NIC? Do you see any traffic?

Firewall should not affect outgoing pings, but turn it off, and turn off anti-virus, just to be sure.

I have a dual NIC setup. No Wi-Fi (remember that counts as a NIC). House network is 192.168.1.x with a metric of 100. Radio network as shown. Every unnecessary protocol is disabled. ANAN IP is set to 192.168.3.2. It showing GigE speed because I'm running P2.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (67.62 KiB) Viewed 8051 times

Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (50.69 KiB) Viewed 8051 times

Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (70.97 KiB) Viewed 8051 times

Capture4.JPG
Capture4.JPG (63.85 KiB) Viewed 8051 times

Capture5.JPG
Capture5.JPG (50.74 KiB) Viewed 8051 times

Capture6.JPG
Capture6.JPG (62.23 KiB) Viewed 8051 times
pemmel

Postby pemmel » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:36 pm

Just un-installed Bitdefender and Spyhunter. Then I turned off the Windows firewall, all of them, public, private and domain.

Power off the PC and ANAN

Power back up.

No joy

100% out of ideas
pemmel

Postby pemmel » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:50 pm

Tally HO....

Only thing I changed was on the NIC config screen,,,
Advanced TCP/IP Settings, WINS tab
Default was checked, I unchecked it and checked Disable Net BIOS over TCP/IP

Pings coming back normal now from the ANAN

Powered up PC and PowerSDR hit power on and BINGO, we are a blip on the radar.

I just have no idea how that NIC config got changed. But now all the code in the ANAN has been loaded fresh so thats always a good thing.

Thanks Scott for sticking with me on this. I really appreciate it.
Pete
K4LLE
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:43 pm

:)

And now that you are more comfortable with Bootloader, it is past time for you to load Protocol 2 firmware. Just be sure you have a GigE NIC and that your Ethernet cable is 100% good to go (all four pairs intact).

If you have an older 7000 look here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3192

If you have a newer 7000 look here (be sure to check the serial number): viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4292
pemmel

Postby pemmel » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:17 pm

Protocol 2 you say. OK that sounds like a good thing and now is a good time to do it.

My ANAN serial number is 81 so I think it is pretty old, but working great.

I will check on the gigE NIC, not 100% sure it is or not.

Thanks for all your help
Pete
pemmel

Postby pemmel » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:09 am

I did load Protocol 2 RBF firmware. Both failed on my 7000DLE serial number = 81

First I loaded Metis_Orion_MkII_Protocol_2_v2.1.18.rbf and the ANAN would not power on and then I got a msg saying invalid stream...

Went back to Protocol 1, ANAN powered up just fine.

Tried to load Metis_Orion_MkIII_rev5.rbf and the ANAN would not power up and I got a msg about invalid stream...

Went back to Protocol 1, ANAN powered up just fine.

Running on Protocol 1 now with no issues.

Thanks again
Pete
K4LLE
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:59 am

The MKIII stuff will not run on your older unit. Shouldn't have even tried it.

Did you confirm that your NIC is GigE? Did you at least get a link light and a GigE indication on the NIC?
pemmel

Postby pemmel » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:10 am

My NIC card is a 10, 100, 1000 Mbps at least thats what the spec sheet says anyways.
Yes I did get a solid green left light both times I tried it.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:22 am

I'm such a dummy. I did not point out to you explicitly that you MUST use the latest version of Thetis, the successor to PowerSDR, to run Protocol 2. I bet you tried with PowerSDR?

Get the latest version of Thetis here:

https://github.com/ramdor/Thetis-2.9.0/releases/download/v2.9.0.6/Thetis-v2.9.0.6.x64.msi

It can be installed alongside PowerSDR, it will not interfere, but you can only run one of the other, not both at the same time.

Thetis is greatly advanced over PowerSDR. It will work with either P1 or P2 firmware. I recommend you get Thetis running with P1 then try P2 again. Then you'll be caught up on all the latest software and firmware.
pemmel

Postby pemmel » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:36 pm

I did indeed try and run P2 with PowerSDR.

I will run Thetis as you pointed out and see how that goes.

With Thetis do I have to do all of the PA settings from scratch or can it import anything from the PowerSDR database I am using now ?

This will be a nice update for me and the ANAN. :)

Pete
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:48 pm

I honestly don't know what will happen if you try to import a PowerSDR database into Thetis. It's been years since I ran PowerSDR. Worse comes to worst, you just reset the database and put the calibration factors in manually.
pemmel

Postby pemmel » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:30 am

I discovered that I can double click on PowerSDR and it will come up but do not hit the radio power button upper lefthand corner and on my PC second display double click on Thetis and keep that on my second display. Then navigate to both setup screens and just copy over the settings tab by tab... Works pretty good to get the settings moved over, manual but it works ok.
I do run CFC on PowerSDR so moving all of those settings over to Thetis was important to me and by doing it side by side it was easy.
I still have my transmit profiles to move over. I do switch them depending on what I am doing. The one I use most and like the most is my SSB CFC 2.6K transmit profile. It puts my transmit power into a 2.6K bandwidth and makes some adjustments with the CFC. Really nice.

Thetis looks spectacular as compared to PowerSDR. I am looking forward to getting Thetis fully configured and then going to Protocol 2 to get all the improvements.

CAT and PTT are working just fine in Thetis & WSJT-X so I know my COM port pairs are working ok.

VAC does not work with Thetis. When I power ON PowerSDR VAC works as it should but no joy with Thetis powered on, no audio into WSJT-X. I checked all of the audio settings in both apps and that was no joy.

I am running VAC from Eugene Muzychenko (I miss spelled his name so many times) I originally installed it back in 2018 or 2019 so I can not remember how I set it up. Will have to read up on creating new VAC cables for Thetis, maybe that is what needs to happen. I don't remember VAC being dedicated to one app but maybe it is. Any suggestions would be appreciated, it has been a few years since I touched VAC.

All in all some great suggestions Scott. I am sure thousands of people are reading this saying if PETE can do it so can I........ LOL, well maybe not...

OR maybe I am the last one and they are saying hey PETE it's about time...welcome to the party pal....

Pete
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:00 pm

pemmel wrote:VAC does not work with Thetis. When I power ON PowerSDR VAC works as it should but no joy with Thetis powered on, no audio into WSJT-X. I checked all of the audio settings in both apps and that was no joy.

I am running VAC from Eugene Muzychenko (I miss spelled his name so many times) I originally installed it back in 2018 or 2019 so I can not remember how I set it up. Will have to read up on creating new VAC cables for Thetis, maybe that is what needs to happen. I don't remember VAC being dedicated to one app but maybe it is. Any suggestions would be appreciated, it has been a few years since I touched VAC.

VAC works fine in Thetis. You just have something misconfigured.

If you need additional help with this, please start a new topic about this specific problem in the virtual audio subforum.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:18 pm

Scott,

To clarify, he's referring to the standalone VAC utility from Eugene Muzychenko, not the embedded VAC1/VAC2 in Thetis.

Mark
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:12 pm

No, read what he wrote. Muzy VAC is working fine for PowerSDR. Therefore it is a Thetis config. error.

Either way it's a subject for another topic.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:29 pm

My mistake!
pemmel

Postby pemmel » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:56 pm

To be honest guys I don't know which it is. A VAC the standalone app or Thetis. I suspect the VAC standalone app has to be re-installed because it is not paying attention to Thetis. That's my guess anyways. I will open a new topic someplace else.
Thanks
Pete

Return to “Network Connections & Network Hardware”