Anan 100 RJ45 Jack

Can't talk to your radio? This is the place to ask!
Ken

Anan 100 RJ45 Jack

Postby Ken » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:46 pm

Hello,
Anan-100 with bad data connections at RJ45.

I know this because I had taken off the transceiver's front plate to access the RJ45 and placed a small
piece of cardboard between the board and the shelf that it is mounted on and all works fine!

How to fix the band-aid is my question?

I am not sure if the pins just need to be re-soldered or should I just replace the RJ45?
If replacing the RJ45, where do I get a replacement for this particular situation?
I don't think all RJ45's are created equal!

Thank you,
Ken
WB4AM
w-u-2-o

Re: Anan 100 RJ45 Jack

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:30 pm

The RJ45 is soldered directly to the Hermes PCB. Thus I'm having trouble understanding what the cardboard is doing?

Assuming that it's a cracked solder joint and the cardboard is simply causing the board to flex a little (again, I'm not fully understanding the cardboard thing), thereby reducing the crack, probably all you need to do is reflow the RJ45 connector solder connections. That connector is a through-hole component, so that should be easy to do.
Ken

Postby Ken » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:14 am

Hello Scott,

Sorry about that! I suppose I have a habit of assuming
that everyone assumes what I am saying!

Yes, by placing the cardboard between the board and the shelf that the board is mounted on
just below the RJ45, puts just the right amount of pressure where needed to reconnect the broken link.

I have not examined it closely to see if the pins need to re-soldered or if any of the traces
on the board need to be repaired. That is why I wanted to create this post to get an opinion
on what I should do.

I understand the re-soldering, would you happen to know where to get the exact RJ45 replacement
jack? My thinking is since I have it apart maybe I should also replace it.

I was sort of hoping if others have had this issue that they may chime in as well. Maybe it is just my luck alone!

Thank you Scott for your reply back, you are appreciated.
Ken
WB4AM
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:56 pm

Unfortunately I don't know the part number for that connector. But it will only take a few minutes to reflow the joints, which is the most likely problem. I'd recommend you try that first because it's very unlikely it is a problem with a board trace or the connector itself.

It might also be a problem with a cracked solder connection at the PHY chip. But fix a little, test a little. Reflow the connector first.
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:22 pm

Hi Ken,

I think Scott is right that the first thing to try is to re-flow the solder on the pins of that RJ45 jack. As someone who took his ANAN-100 apart multiple times I can tell you that it is not terribly difficult. Barry - N1EU did a great job of giving step-by-step instructions if you have not done it before. He included pictures for people like me who want to see what to do before reaching for the tools:

http://anan-100d.wikidot.com/100d-disass

Just make sure you are careful with the interconnecting cables as the SMA connectors are fairly fragile. I would suggest labeling them at each end so you know exactly where they go if you end up disconnecting them. I used a fine sharpie for that and it worked great. The screenshot below is a TAPR Hermes board but the physical placement of the ANAN's RJ45 (circled in white) is identical. It's not a big job so you can re-heat all the pins on that jack in less than a minute.

Good luck!

Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
DL8LAQ

Postby DL8LAQ » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:41 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:It might also be a problem with a cracked solder connection at the PHY chip. But fix a little, test a little. Reflow the connector first.

I had two 100/D's on my bench with cracked solder joints at the PHY chip!
73, Norbert - DL8LAQ - ANAN-G2 w/display - Richie's latest Thetis version and pihpsdr by N1GP&DL1YCF
Ken

Postby Ken » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:39 pm

Hello and thank you Scott, Rob, and Norbert.

All good sound advice!

I will to do the re-soldering of the pins first and then test.
If that doesn't fix it, I will have a look at that chip that is mentioned.

I placed an ad on QTH hoping to find another Anan 10, 16 bit board only
for a reasonable price for back up and possible experimenting purposes.

Giving the info from you guys, helps with giving confidence if you will.
I wasn't sure if I should just re-flow the solder or replace the jack.

Keeping it simple is usually the best!

And Rob thanks for the link for a visual on taking the Anan apart.
I have taking it apart several times. Those SMA connectors are a pain.
I always wonder if I have them to tight or to loose, verses just right.
I will have a look at the link to refresh my memory!!!

I forget what wire but I recall one being very short which makes it hard to get back together.

Anyway, thank you all, you are appreciated.

Ken
WB4AM

Return to “Network Connections & Network Hardware”