Anan100D Mac Address

Can't talk to your radio? This is the place to ask!
PaulManc

Anan100D Mac Address

Postby PaulManc » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:12 pm

Hi,

Having just performed a few mods on my radio including the bootloader switch it is all back together again and on my home DHCP network. The radio appears to have firmware 5.9 loaded, PSDR loads ok connects and reports the IP and MAC address.

Testing the bootloader switch and "test for bootloader finds the board but with a different mac address. Switching the switch back to normal and running programmer reports the same as PSDR and what I can see on the router.......slightly confusing!

Is this normal or should I be doing something at this point please ??

One of the things I did internally upgrading the main fan (as per Scotts read) and also a mini fan to cool the fuse. Little 25mm 12v fan 12v gives off a PITA noise so may need to replace later or rethink it.

TIA
Attachments
fan25.jpg
fan25.jpg (63.47 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
Paul
Manchester
w-u-2-o

Re: Anan100D Mac Address

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:42 pm

Just in case, a reminder that power must be cycled every time you move the bootloader switch so that the FPGA will boot up with the correct image (normal or bootloader).

Assuming that is not an issue, my understanding is that:

In normal mode the MAC address as reported by HPSDR Programmer, PowerSDR and the router (or other network equipment) will appear the same and will be a normal MAC, something like "00:04:A3..."

In bootloader mode the MAC address can only be reported by HPSDR Bootloader (PSDR and HPSDR Programmer will not communicate with bootloader) and the router or other network equipment. HPSDR Bootloader will report the normal mac address as above. But networking equipment will report a MAC of 11:22:33:44:55:66. Note that this is an illegal MAC address and will not be switched or forwarded by anything but a dumb switch. A Layer 2 or 3 managed switch will just reject any packets from that address. Some people have even reported problems with dumb switches forcing them to make a direct connection to the PC to use HPSDR Bootloader. Note also that HPSDR Bootloader communicates at the raw Ethernet frame level, it does not use TCP/IP or UDP at all.
PaulManc

Postby PaulManc » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:26 pm

Hey Scott: I have powered the radio down (front button) each time before checking but never switched off the PSU ?

Below is what im getting with each software. The radio is connected via the router which is downstairs and the PC too. Logging into the router shows the device and its MAC and the ESET network inspector shows same as the programmer software.

Programmer.jpg
Programmer.jpg (31.88 KiB) Viewed 3889 times

Using bootloader with no physical Ether connection reports "Check jumper on J1 for Metis". Connected it instantly finds board with bootloader as shown below so it must be correct one would think but why different?

Im fearful of turning it into a doorstop when I plan to try P2 firmwares shortly.....TIA
Attachments
Bootloader.jpg
Bootloader.jpg (33.91 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
Paul
Manchester
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:25 am

You'll be fine. Just only use Bootloader for changing firmware, don't use the Programmer.
PaulManc

Postby PaulManc » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:51 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:You'll be fine. Just only use Bootloader for changing firmware, don't use the Programmer.

Alrighty will give it a go. Thank you 8-)
Paul
Manchester

Return to “Network Connections & Network Hardware”