Error starting SDR hardware.

Can't talk to your radio? This is the place to ask!
Torrey

Error starting SDR hardware.

Postby Torrey » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:21 am

I received my new 7000DLE MKIII today. Serial number DX8300595A.
Attached antenna, power supply (13.9v, 30A). Speakers. Ethernet via network switch. Thetis 2.9.0.6.
Ran the receiver all afternoon. Worked well.
I then decided to replace the ethernet cable to the switch for a brand new one. Direct swap.
Shortly after that I pressed the power button on Thetis. I then got the "Error starting SDR hardware" error.
The LAN light to the right of the panel jack blanks only intermittently. The light on the left is steady on. Red lights normal.
Since there is no connection to the receiver, the the power messages at the lower left of Thetis is 0/0.

I am totally new to the ANAN. My uninformed guess is that the IP address changed. If that is the issue, I will need "hand-holding" to proceed.
Please HELP!

73 Torrey N9PY
Tony EI7BMB

Re: Error starting SDR hardware.

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:33 am

w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:24 pm

Torrey wrote:...
I then decided to replace the ethernet cable to the switch for a brand new one. Direct swap.
Shortly after that I pressed the power button on Thetis. I then got the "Error starting SDR hardware" error.

Did you try changing back to the old Ethernet cable?
Torrey

Postby Torrey » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:04 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
Torrey wrote:...

Did you try changing back to the old Ethernet cable?

Yes I did try the old one, and a few others.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:42 pm

When you own an openHPSDR architecture radio, like your Apache/Thetis combo, it helps if you are already familiar with basic Ethernet networking and basic Windows networking. But it doesn't seem like you've climbed that learning curve yet. So, on to basic troubleshooting...

1. Is it possible that you accidentally moved the Bootloader mode switch on the bottom of the 7000 to the Bootloader mode ON position? Perhaps while moving things around? Because if you did that would cause this problem. Take a piece of tape, label it to show the switch's current position, then try again with the switch in both positions. You must cycle the power off and then back on on the 7000 each time you move the switch (the switch tells it what to do when it boots).

2. While doing the test in step 1 above, with the 7000 attached to the switch and powered up, what lights are showing on the switch port in each case, what color are they, and are they blinking? Each time you move the Bootloader switch and cycle power on the 7000 take a look and write it down. More importantly, what do those lights mean? Are they showing a 100Mbit/s link, or are they showing a Gigabit link? Do you see the traffic light flashing? If you don't know what the lights mean you will have to crack the manual for the switch, we can't know, they are different on different switches.

3. How is the PC connected to the 7000 (we assume via the switch, but it's good to ask)? How is the PC connected to the internet? Is there a router connected to the switch?

Answer those questions, please, and if things are still not working then we'll have important info on how to proceed.
Torrey

Postby Torrey » Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:49 am

Hi Scott,

Thank you so much for your quick response!

Today, I turned off the power supply. Then turned OFF the Bootloader switch. Restored power. Turned on the ANAN. Hit the Thetis power switch.
Voila! All is well! Such a relief after yesterday.
I am really still in the process of setting up the 7000. I have Google Gigabit Fiber. Out of the fiber to ethernet converter box, a short ethernet patch cable goes to a small 4-port switch. I run a filtered CAT-6 run about 25 feet to a switch in my station. The switch feeds a TS-890, Expert MB-1, a home-built i9 9700 PC with 32 mb ram, and now the 7000DLE MKIII. I get a full GB of speed to the PC even after the browser. I bought a Linksys 16-port "business" unmanaged GB switch to replace the 5 year old switch presently in use.

Question: since my problem seems to be solved, do you still recommend I I document the color of the switches? I have about thirty devices on the fiber network.

I am grateful and a happy camper.

Thank you. 73. Torrey N9PY
Joe

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:17 am

I have had the same issue at times here lately, I’m not sure but seems to have happened after windows update. I am running windows 11. I went through everything you describe and finally just powered everything down, computer, etc. After a complete power down all started back up fine with no issues. I’ve had it happen again, just powered all down and all came back up fine. It’s almost as if the Ethernet adapter went to sleep? After this post came up, it sure sounds related, only my hardware is the 8000.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:26 am

Might be worth checking the power management settings on your network adapter in control panel to prevent windows from shutting down the port

Joe wrote:I have had the same issue at times here lately, I’m not sure but seems to have happened after windows update. I am running windows 11. I went through everything you describe and finally just powered everything down, computer, etc. After a complete power down all started back up fine with no issues. I’ve had it happen again, just powered all down and all came back up fine. It’s almost as if the Ethernet adapter went to sleep? After this post came up, it sure sounds related, only my hardware is the 8000.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:03 pm

Torrey wrote:I am really still in the process of setting up the 7000. I have Google Gigabit Fiber. Out of the fiber to ethernet converter box...

OK, so that box is your router and it's the thing that's responsible for handing out IP addresses on your network.

Question: since my problem seems to be solved, do you still recommend I I document the color of the switches? I have about thirty devices on the fiber network.

I'm not 100% certain what you mean by "color of the switches"? However, it's always a good idea to have a good grasp of the fundamentals of your equipment. If you don't know what all the blinking lights mean then it would be a good idea to learn, as they exist to help you figure things out.

If you haven't already it is strongly recommended you mark the Bootloader switch so that you know which position is "Normal Mode" and which position is "Bootloader Mode".
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:05 pm

Joe wrote:After this post came up, it sure sounds related, only my hardware is the 8000.

It doesn't sound related at all. Torrey accidentally moved his Bootloader switch. Your problem is something else.
Joe

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:17 pm

Scott,
Yes, I see the quote on the bootloader switch now. I probably have something going on in a changed Ethernet setting like Tony mentioned, will check that out.

Thanks,
Joe
WD5Y
Vkwayne

Postby Vkwayne » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:30 am

I have a similar problem

I recently acquired a 7000mkll with serial ending 518A so late model .
I have a 7000mkll with built in NUC that connects and works perfectly ,using Cat 6 cable from router to Gigabit switch and cat 6 cables to radio and built in NUC.

Connect the new radio to same switch ,and cable to Lan connection on New computer ,also a NUC running windows 11,which I know nothing about, and a cat 6 cable to Lan connection on front of radio. Green light on left of Lan connection is constant ,light to right blinks on and off . Red lights on front of the radio left power indicator is obviously on,red light to the right constantly flashing on/off .
Have downloaded Thetis 2.9.0.8 hit the power button and get the "Error starting SDR hardware,is it connected and powered " banner .

The radio was supposed to have protocol 2 loaded and running correctly when I bought it .But cant get it to connect to check .Have set the network connections in the new computer running windows 11 ,the same as the other radio running windows 10 as far as my limited knowledge can tell.
After 3 days and getting nowhere,I am getting very frustrated.

Anyone like to point me in the right direction ?

Regards
Wayne
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:51 am

Wayne,

There's a 100 things that could be wrong. So it's going to be a process of elimination. And you say you know nothing about Windows so that's going to make it tougher.

Question: does the GigE switch connect to a router and the internet?

Step 1, new NUC network config--You should not have had to change anything network-wise in the new NUC. It should simply have worked out of the box. What did you change?

Step 2. Assuming all is well with the new NUC, we can test this by seeing if it will connect with the old 7000 with the built-in NUC. Power that up, don't run Thetis in the internal NUC, but do run Thetis on the new NUC. It should connect.

Let's start with that. We have to at least get that far before moving forward.

Scott
Vkwayne

Postby Vkwayne » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:53 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Wayne,

There's a 100 things that could be wrong. So it's going to be a process of elimination. And you say you know nothing about Windows so that's going to make it tougher.

Question: does the GigE switch connect to a router and the internet?

Step 1, new NUC network config--You should not have had to change anything network-wise in the new NUC. It should simply have worked out of the box. What did you change?

Step 2. Assuming all is well with the new NUC, we can test this by seeing if it will connect with the old 7000 with the built-in NUC. Power that up, don't run Thetis in the internal NUC, but do run Thetis on the new NUC. It should connect.

Let's start with that. We have to at least get that far before moving forward.

Scott

Hi Scott

Thanks for your response
I have been able to connect the NEW NUC to the old 7000 and it connects straight away without problems .

The only changes I initially had to make yesterday was to disconnect Windows Defender Smartscreen ,which I never knew existed, as it restricted me downloading Thetis on the New NUC.

So my problem is that I can't connect to the New to me 7000MKll with late serial number to the new computer(NUC)
Which I was told ,was running protocol 2,but I can't connect and confirm.

Regards

Wayne
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:29 am

OK, that's good news, and eliminates a lot of issues.

I'm guessing that you just need to set the IP address on the new 7000.

One question before discussing that: is the old 7000 running Protocol 2? I'm just asking to see if we can be 100% sure to rule out any missing GigE parts or pieces.

With respect to assigning a new IP, is it correct to assume that you are relying on the router to hand out addresses, i.e. you are using DHCP?

If so, then you've got the get the IP address of your new 7000 set to 0.0.0.0, which is how you tell one of our radios to use DHCP.

To do this you are going to want to use the HPSDR Bootloader tool. If you are not familiar with the procedure, detailed instructions are here:

https://community.apache-labs.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2333
Vkwayne

Postby Vkwayne » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:09 am

w-u-2-o wrote:OK, that's good news, and eliminates a lot of issues.

One question before discussing that: is the old 7000 running Protocol 2? I'm just asking to see if we can be 100% sure to rule out any missing GigE parts or pieces.

With respect to assigning a new IP, is it correct to assume that you are relying on the router to hand out addresses, i.e. you are using DHCP?

If so, then you've got the get the IP address of your new 7000 set to 0.0.0.0, which is how you tell one of our radios to use DHCP.

To do this you are going to want to use the HPSDR Bootloader tool. If you are not familiar with the procedure, detailed instructions are here:

Thanks Scott
In answer to your 1st Question .Yes the old radio is running Protocol 2

2nd Question . Yes I am using the router to assign the IP address ,so using DHCP

I am reading the information on the link and will download the Bootloader tool, and yes I did confirm that the boot loader switch was in the OFF position before I started.

Regards Wayne
Vkwayne

Postby Vkwayne » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:53 am

Vkwayne wrote:
w-u-2-o wrote:OK, that's good news, and eliminates a lot of issues.

Thanks Scott
In answer to your 1st Question .Yes the old radio is running Protocol 2

2nd Question . Yes I am using the router to assign the IP address ,so using DHCP

I am reading the information on the link and will download the Bootloader tool, and yes I did confirm that the boot loader switch was in the OFF position before I started.

Regards Wayne

Ok have downloaded bootloader,

it finds the computer ip address and Computer Mac address

When I test for bootloader it shows Board Mac address

what I do from here I am not sure ? If I browse for RBF file ,nothing shows ? Not sure what to do from here
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:36 am

The instructions are very detailed. Simply follow them. It would seem you made it to step 6. Just do what it says. Again, the IP should be set to 0.0.0.0 if you are using DHCP (which is my guess since you still haven't told us).

6. Click "Test for Bootloader". Bootloader should discover the radio.

At this point you can use the Bootloader to change the IP or program the firmware. To program the firmware follow steps 7 and 8. Otherwise just program the IP and then skip to step 9.
Vkwayne

Postby Vkwayne » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:27 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:The instructions are very detailed. Simply follow them. It would seem you made it to step 6. Just do what it says. Again, the IP should be set to 0.0.0.0 if you are using DHCP (which is my guess since you still haven't told us).

6. Click "Test for Bootloader". Bootloader should discover the radio.

At this point you can use the Bootloader to change the IP or program the firmware. To program the firmware follow steps 7 and 8. Otherwise just program the IP and then skip to step 9.

Thanks Tony

I got stuck at step 6 and didn't understand where to put the 0.0.0.0 I needed to walk away and clear my head and come back to it .Then I was caught between will I go to step 7 or just go to step 9.Anyway I went to step 9 and shut everything down ,and it now works.
I really appreciate your patience and expertise. And sorry for my lack of networking knowledge .

Regards
Wayne
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:26 pm

Scott ;)

Glad you got it sorted and that it was easy. Plus now you know how to use Bootloader in case you want to do a firmware update in the future.

Return to “Network Connections & Network Hardware”