Going back to Ethernet switch from direct to PC

Can't talk to your radio? This is the place to ask!
JJ4SDR

Going back to Ethernet switch from direct to PC

Postby JJ4SDR » Mon May 22, 2023 6:54 pm

Decided to go back to using the radio via an Ethernet switch rather than having radio talk directly with the PC (I used Bootloader to assign static IP addresses to radio and NIC in the PC).

1. Imported the Database that I had been using successfully (radio talking to PC via the Ethernet switch).

2. Reconfigured the NIC to use DHCP instead of the static IP address I had assigned it.

In Windows (networking), I checked the 2 boxes below:
Obtain an IP address automatically
Obtain DNS Server address automatically

No joy, I get a pop-up suggesting that the radio isn't powered on or is not connected.

The above problem is likely, once again, a shortcoming in my understanding networking principles, but I am hoping to be able to get up to speed eventually ;) :roll: .

Juha

UPDATE:
When reverting to automatic IP, I hadn't written anything in the IP field using the Bootloader. Works fine now.
PC: 8 Core i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz, NVMe SK Hynix 512 GB SSD, 32GB RAM
Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
w-u-2-o

Re: Going back to Ethernet switch from direct to PC

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon May 22, 2023 10:22 pm

Restoring from an old database can have unintended consequences.

When you say you added a switch, do you mean PC--switch--ANAN, or do you mean router, or is a router attached to the switch? Because generally a router is where the DHCP server lives and that's what parcels out the addresses. No DHCP server, no addresses. The interface will fall back to APIPA in such a case.

Did you use Bootloader to change the address in the ANAN back to DHCP (set it to 0.0.0.0)?
JJ4SDR

Postby JJ4SDR » Tue May 23, 2023 12:34 am

Scott,

Router is plugged into the switch. Again, the hardware set-up is exactly the same as it was a few weeks ago.

When I used the Bootloader I assigned ("WRITE IP") the IP address that I saw on the "H/W Select" form where it says "ANAN Address." From what you are writing that might have not been the way to go about this, but the radio works. So, from what you are saying, I should have written all "0"s in the IP address field (I didn't) to configure the radio for DHCP again, right?

Obviously, I have never switched between these 2 different configurations so I was at a loss as to how to use Bootloader.

Juha
PC: 8 Core i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz, NVMe SK Hynix 512 GB SSD, 32GB RAM
Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue May 23, 2023 11:48 am

JJ4SDR wrote:Scott,

Router is plugged into the switch. Again, the hardware set-up is exactly the same as it was a few weeks ago.

OK, so you have a valid DHCP server on the network.

When I used the Bootloader I assigned ("WRITE IP") the IP address that I saw on the "H/W Select" form where it says "ANAN Address." From what you are writing that might have not been the way to go about this, but the radio works.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

So, from what you are saying, I should have written all "0"s in the IP address field (I didn't) to configure the radio for DHCP again, right?

A thousand times "yes".

Obviously, I have never switched between these 2 different configurations so I was at a loss as to how to use Bootloader.

Searching your posts I see you used it to successfully upgrade firmware so we know you know how to use it in general. Now just use it to successfully assign an IP address to the ANAN. All zeros for DHCP and APIPA operations, or assign a valid static IP.

Return to “Network Connections & Network Hardware”