Thetis / Anan Remote

Ken

Thetis / Anan Remote

Postby Ken » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:55 pm

Hello,

Is anyone remoting their ANAN in Thetis?

I can remote the Anan with the Teamviewer App, and I am able to transmit but the TX audio is very low.

I don't really know how to set it up, but what I have discovered, if I check the Vac 1 and Vac 2 boxes,
it will work but again the TX audio is way to low.

Is this feature still in process? Anyway to boost the audio? Maybe use a different audio driver?

Clueless at the moment!

Thank you,
Ken
w-u-2-o

Re: Thetis / Anan Remote

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:26 pm

I moved this to the correct sub-forum...

I'm assuming you are talking about remote operation over the internet, not over your local LAN.

AFAIK, nobody is working on this as an inherent capability in Thetis. Thetis, and the Apache hardware, comprises a "thick client" architecture. Such an architecture see high speed, high bandwidth, IF data moving between the client software (Thetis) and the hardware. This is to be contrasted with "thin client" architecture, such as that used in the Flex. In the Flex there is a built in processor that handles all the IF data, clients only get relatively low bandwidth audio and video data sent to them. To get Thetis to be like this would require Thetis to be split into two parts, a client and a server. That sufficiently difficult that all who have looked at it have said it would be easier to start from scratch (so far).

However, it is possible to remotely operate. I used to do it using a private VPN connection to my home, Microsoft Remote Desktop (RDP), and Voicemeeter to act as an audio go-between Thetis and Remote Desktop.

No longer traveling for a living, I no longer remote operate. However, if I was going to do it again, I'd use a private (not published) RCForb (remotehams.com) arrangement for PTT, basic controls, and audio, and supplement that with Teamviewer or RDP for viewing the spectral display and access to less frequently used controls. I'd strongly suggest implementing a VPN capability rather than poking a bunch of holes in your router's firewall.

All of this is relatively non-trivial and requires some networking savvy. It's not easy like pointing your iPad at your Flex radio.

Scott
Ken

Postby Ken » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:17 am

Hello Scott,

Thanks for the reply.

To bad we can't do remote in an easy fashion.

When the Flex5K first came out I did remote the FLX5K with "remote possibilities" and also with "team viewer" as well.

I also had to use an audio program to remote the audio, I forget now what it I used but it did work.
At that time I had to pay for a "Vac" program too in order to make it work.
I was also told there was a delay between the conversations, although I didn't notice on my end.

Anyway, thanks again for your reply and for your wealth of information.

Ken
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:50 am

Voicemeeter Potato, from VB Audio, is now the de facto king of virtual audio for podcasters, hams, and the like. It is free.
w4bf

Postby w4bf » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:16 pm

Scott is right - use the remotehams.com and their app for android called RCForb. Not click and play but setup is not all that difficult - you can PM me with any questions. No fancy spectrum display but if you want to just listen, you can bring up your computer with teamview/chrome remote.

Return to “Remote Operation Over The Internet”