Bootloader Switch on 7K DLE MKII Black

FIRMWARE TOPICS ONLY--non-firmware topics will be MOVED
wa2cop

Bootloader Switch on 7K DLE MKII Black

Postby wa2cop » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:28 pm

Hi All,

I noticed my bootloader switch does not go all the way and doesn't seat positively.

Is there a way to test the switch without actually doing a firmware update? I have protocol 2 already installed using the programmer however, I want to fix the switch if it is an issue sooner than later in the event I need to use the bootloader vs the programmer.

thanks!
w-u-2-o

Re: Bootloader Switch on 7K DLE MKII Black

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:21 pm

It's easy to test without doing an update.

It's also a good idea to mark the positions of the switch as "normal" and "bootloader" when doing this, since they aren't marked already.

Simply perform steps 1-9 in the bootloader section of this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2333

If bootloader discovers the hardware then the switch is OK. No need to proceed with the firmware upgrade at that point. Simply put the switch back to the normal position and cycle power on the hardware (switch position is only sensed at power up, and the FPGA makes the decision as to what firmware to load, bootloader or normal, at power up based on the position of the switch at that time).

There are other failure modes that would prevent bootloader from discovering the radio, however, so the test, if it fails, is not an absolute indicator of a faulty switch. You might have a bad PCAP installation, or are using a managed Ethernet switch, etc.

Return to “Orion Mk II & III Firmware (all 7000, 8000 & Andromeda Variants)”