OLD 7000MKIII Protocol 2 Firmware Topic

FIRMWARE TOPICS ONLY--non-firmware topics will be MOVED
Forum rules
Until such time as the New Protocol firmware goes into general release, all discussion will be concentrated here.
rdwing

Re: 7000MKIII Protocol 2 Firmware

Postby rdwing » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:02 am

I think it was just the one user having firewall troubles, but thanks for sharing the article. The SEQ errors I was getting with .25 and builds a/b were not firewall related.

On my Mk3, only 192 Khz Max was available in Protocol 1, and as you noted WB didn't work.

Also edit from earlier, it is version "C" that's working for me perfectly, not "D".
wx7y

Postby wx7y » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:37 am

I bit the bullet and tested all 4 versions and version "C" for me works well with no errors YET and starts the radio everytime, cross my fingers.
Version "A", and "B" gave a lot of errors, Version "D" ran good once it was connected to the radio which failed several times and got worse as time went on.

Thanks a lot for working on this guys and all the hard work

73's
Bret
WX7Y
wo5m

Postby wo5m » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:36 am

Just a quick update. I don't know what's wrong with my primary computer, but I've just about given up on it. I have verified its not a firewall issue, but no mater what I try I can't get it to display data. Again only P2 is affected P1 works just fine.

That said I commandeered my wife laptop(she hasn't used it since covid). Using her laptop I went though each of the firmware and tested them one by one. As others have suggested Orion_MkIII_Protocol_2_v2.1.26c worked the best. I have not been getting any sync errors. Because of the limited horsepower on her computer I can't push the sample rate beyond 768000 without it affecting performance and even then its right on the edge. That said, I honestly can say that gives me more spectrum than I probably need.

Rather than putting P1 back on the radio, I've decided to keep P2(2.1.26c) and use the laptop with external monitors . I've been needing to build a new computer anyway. Now I have more incentive to do it.
Martyn_5B4AMO

Postby Martyn_5B4AMO » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:20 am

I'd like to thank Rick for the 4 versions of P2 firmware, and the other advice provided by the members on this thread. By way of an update, I have done the registry edit to tweak the network throttling, and run the firewall check.

Things are working for me here now with both version "a" and version "c" of the P2 firmware. In other words, operation as expected with no SEQ errors showing on the main screen or in the SEQ logfile.

However, I did decide when testing to use the direct APIPA connection between the PC and the radio. Unfortunately, once I reverted to the normal connection through the switch, using version "c", the radio seemed to be discovered and started, no SEQ errors, but no RX data showing on the screen or audio output.

So it looks to me that the version "c" firmware works OK, and my problem that remains when using the Ethernet switch is something to do with how that gigabit switch is set up. Maybe I will have to get a replacement and try that.

For now, I will continue to run the direct APIPA connection, and stick with the P2 version "c". Thanks to all for helping to try to get the P2 firmware working on the Orion Mk3 boards.

Best Regards,
Martyn 5B4AMO.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:02 pm

It sure looks like version C is working well for everyone, or nearly everyone.

The problems that some people are having with network connections and lack of an IF data stream from the ANAN may be related to the specific network interface (NIC) they are using. This data is carried using UDP and there are some NICs that do not play well with this. For instance, many of the "Killer" branded interfaces do not work properly--I have one here like that myself.

Unless it is badly inconvenient from an operational standpoint (e.g. the desire to use the ANAN with more than one PC, etc.), performance with the system is usually improved when using a dedicated NIC for the ANAN, and a separate NIC (this can be Wi-Fi) for internet. See this topic for more information: https://community.apache-labs.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4127.

Additional internal PCIE GigE cards are cheap (I recommend Intel chipsets), and external USB-to-GigE adapters also very inexpensive. For USB adapters be sure it's a true USB3 implementation, USB2 configurations will not deliver full gigabit throughput.

Finally, APIPA addressing can be slow and inconsistent to stabilize. If you do decide to use a direct, dedicated connection, it is worth your time to use Bootloader create a fixed (static) IP on the ANAN and Windows to create a compatible static IP on the dedicated NIC. Remember to use a different subnet than what you use for the internet NIC.
nostatic

Postby nostatic » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:50 pm

Just updated with revC, recent MkIII delivery, direct usb-c to ethernet connection. Recalibrated PureSignal afterward. No drama, so far so good. My occasional frame rate errors seem to have gone away (yay for faster pipes). Thanks for all the hard work making the new FW, and thanks for those brave early adopters.

One thing I'm noticing - the voltage display on Thetis is going between 14-16v on xmit, sometimes peaking at 17v. I'm running about 40W driving the amp. My version of Thetis has never showed any current reading, it is always 0. When I key down my power supply (Samlex) doesn't show any change in voltage, does show the expected increase in current draw. My other radio shows constant voltage on xmit.

So probably a bug? No magic smoke (yet)...
S_Car_Go

Postby S_Car_Go » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:43 am

W4WMT wrote:
w-u-2-o wrote:You are right. Any suggestion on how to better describe the configuration that isn't a mouthful?

No clue!
Abhi is using the "Mark" designator to iterate both the rig and the board.
Sort of confusing, but we shall overcome :-)

Why Apache has chosen to designate the radio model number and circuit board revision number using the same designator we may never know. Obviously this is extremely confusing so I suggest we add to the existing product designation another designator "GEN" (for generation) to specify the electronics package build level. This can incorporate any changes of the circuit boards(s) or wiring etc.

Base Model Number - 7000DLE --- Basic product code
Enclosure Package - MKII, MKIII, MKIV etc. --- Specifies different enclosure, packaging or case styles.
Electronics Package - GEN1, GEN2, GEN3 etc. --- Specifies the electronics package or circuit board(s) revision level or any combination thereof.

So for the Latest release of the 7000 DLE MKII it would be 7000DLE MKII GEN3.

Or maybe its should be GEN2 since I am not that familiar with all the history of this radio. I am a new member to the Apache club.

Cheers

Dave WB5QFZ
Dave - WB5QFZ
N4ITT

Postby N4ITT » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:47 pm

I am now using Protocol 2 firmware on my Orion MkIII, thanks Rick!
Everything seems to be working so far, except for the connection speed.
I'm stuck at 100 Mbps.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:57 pm

N4ITT wrote:I am now using Protocol 2 firmware on my Orion MkIII, thanks Rick!
Everything seems to be working so far, except for the connection speed.
I'm stuck at 100 Mbps.

What version of firmware are you using? Version "C"?

How are you connected to the ANAN? Directly to the PC? Via a switch and/or router? Is the PC hardware and/or switch/router hardware all capable of GigE speeds?

Also look at your Ethernet cable. GigE requires all four pairs, all eight wires, to be in perfect repair. If just one wire (one pair) is broken it will still work but fall back to 100Mbit/s. So a bad cable can really fool you!
N4ITT

Postby N4ITT » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:44 pm

Thanks for the help Scott.

I am running version D right now, but had the same results with version C.

The Anan is connected directly to the PC. I have two Ethernet cards, but only one is enabled while I'm troubleshooting.

I will swap out cables this evening, it sure would be nice if that was the problem.

Thanks again for the reply!

Bob | N4ITT
N4ITT

Postby N4ITT » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:27 pm

The GigE connection problem has been solved, thanks for pointing me in the right direction Scott.

It turned out to be the DX Engineering DXE-ISO-PLUS Ethernet filters I had inline. They work fine at 1 Gbps when connected to my cable modem, but not so much when connected to the radio.

Time to enjoy the new rig!
2E0XQX

Postby 2E0XQX » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:57 pm

Just wanted to say ... wow. And Thanks.

I've only owned a 7000 for a few days, most of which has been spent reading the forums to understand firmware mkII, mkIII etc etc.
Almost sent it back, convinced the new chipset didn't do gigabit network for protocol 2, but Apache support and Doug both assured me it does and I belatedly found this thread, followed the instructions to update the firmware (I'm using the 'C' variant), did the network throttle index tweak (via thetis), started Thetis v2.9.0 x86 and cranked the sample rates of both RX1 and RX2 to the maximum 1536000 and, wow...

So far, flawless, and a very cheesy grin on my face.

You guys, hardware and software, have knocked it out of the park, and I am in awe.

Andrew 2E0XQX
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:18 pm

Even with all of it's shortcomings it's definitely worth the skull sweat to get it working!
rdwing

Re: New 7000MKIII Protocol 2 Firmware Topic

Postby rdwing » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:52 pm

Good luck. There are no immediate replacements available. I have been waiting at least a few weeks already.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:59 pm

The US service center is Doug, W5WC.
rdwing

Postby rdwing » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:27 pm

I'd like to bring this back around to the firmware itself. I have had good luck running mine on build "C" with a direct ethernet connection. However when connected to a gigabit switch (which happens to be the same switch the PC is on), SEQ errors do return. So, I think there may be work to be done yet.
BPerk

Postby BPerk » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:15 pm

I'm looking to order a new 7000MKIII, and want to utilize Protocol 2. I've been through the forum comments several times. Are we at a point now that one of the 4 revisions as provided by Rick would be dependable?
Thanks,
Bob NN5D
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:45 pm

Version C (see link in the first post of this topic) seems to be enjoying good success.
BPerk

Postby BPerk » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:00 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply, Scott.
73- Bob
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:31 pm

Several times in this thread I've seen references to "resetting PureSignal to default" and "recalibrating PureSignal".

But what is there to "calibrate" about PS? And how is PS reset to default?

Truly asking for a friend. He installed the C version of Protocol 2 on his brand new 7000 and now PS doesn't work for him (it was working on Protocol 1).

Thanks,
Mark
N5BE

Postby N5BE » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:22 pm

Thank you Mark for the appeal for help on my behalf! I'm the one with a non-functioning PS. I upgraded first to the "D" P2 firmware and saw the loss of PS feature. I then tried the "C' version with the same results. This is a brand new 7000 in service for less than a month. All other features and capabilities are unaffected. I have no idea how to reset PS to default as a standalone item. I'm about to return to P1 firmware to have a fully functioning radio. Thanks.

Lee
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:33 pm

K1LSB wrote:Several times in this thread I've seen references to "resetting PureSignal to default" and "recalibrating PureSignal".
Several = exactly 3. Twice by rdwing mentioning "reset to default", once by Nostatic mentioning "recalibrate".

But what is there to "calibrate" about PS?

There is nothing to recalibrate about PS. Not sure what Nostatic was trying to say there, but there is absolutely no calibration of PS required.

And how is PS reset to default?

If you go to Linearity > Advanced, you will find a number of parameters and options you can change. There is no "return to default" button, so if you change them from the original, default values supplied with a blank database you either have to remember what the default values were, or simply reset to a blank database and start over. Or perhaps save out your current database, look at a blank database, then restore the current database and make the necessary changes.

IMHO, under no circumstance should anyone change GetPk or SetPk values. There is absolutely no reason or benefit to doing so. Those can be returned to default values using the "Default" button provided. There is also absolutely no reason to use the "Display PS-RX..." checkbox. That was put there for Warren Pratt's use only and really should be removed.

N5BE wrote:Thank you Mark for the appeal for help on my behalf! I'm the one with a non-functioning PS. I upgraded first to the "D" P2 firmware and saw the loss of PS feature. I then tried the "C' version with the same results. This is a brand new 7000 in service for less than a month. All other features and capabilities are unaffected. I have no idea how to reset PS to default as a standalone item.
If you have not messed with the values in Linearity > Advanced then there is no reason to do so.

I'm about to return to P1 firmware to have a fully functioning radio.

Have you tried the A and B versions? You can find them on page 1 of this thread.

If neither of those work, then you have the very unfortunate honor to be the recipient of the first MKIII serial number (AFAIK) that does not work with any of the available P2 firmware. This is a rare but not unheard of condition even among MKII owners. Rick did a FANTASTIC job of making the P2 firmware work for as many people as possible throughout the entire population of ANAN hardware, from the Hermes-based units up through the latest 7000MKIII hardware, but there is only so much that anyone can do when the free version of the Quartus compiler is used and when there has never been a fully characterization of hardware performance over temperature.
N5BE

Postby N5BE » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:09 pm

Scott. Thank you for the extensive reply. Good stuff. With Mark's (K1LSB) assistance and your input we got it going! Set the correct parameters in the Linearity default and the Two Tone test "Applied DSP Output" Test in Setup. Works like a champ. PureSignal is alive. It amazing what a good nights sleep and fresh eyeballs can accomplish! Still transitioning from an appliance operator to 2nd string J.V......

Lee
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:57 pm

N5BE wrote:Scott. Thank you for the extensive reply. Good stuff. With Mark's (K1LSB) assistance and your input we got it going! Set the correct parameters in the Linearity default and the Two Tone test "Applied DSP Output" Test in Setup. Works like a champ. PureSignal is alive. It amazing what a good nights sleep and fresh eyeballs can accomplish! Still transitioning from an appliance operator to 2nd string J.V......

Lee

So did you wind up with the "C" version? That seems to be working for nearly everyone.
rdwing

Postby rdwing » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:58 pm

Screenshot 2022-11-10 115444.png
Screenshot 2022-11-10 115444.png (2.33 KiB) Viewed 20175 times

When changing between P1 and P2 firmware it doesn't change the required values. Make sure to hit the default button.
N5BE

Postby N5BE » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:51 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
N5BE wrote:Scott. Thank you for the extensive reply. Good stuff. With Mark's (K1LSB) assistance and your input we got it going! Set the correct parameters in the Linearity default and the Two Tone test "Applied DSP Output" Test in Setup. Works like a champ. PureSignal is alive. It amazing what a good nights sleep and fresh eyeballs can accomplish! Still transitioning from an appliance operator to 2nd string J.V......

Lee

So did you wind up with the "C" version? That seems to be working for nearly everyone.

Yes, I went with C and its working!
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:30 am

:)
va7qi

Postby va7qi » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:19 am

I tried version D of the new firmware and while it appears to be working otherwise, the S-meter showed 20 dB lower than it should.
After trying to re-calibrate it several times every 1 MHz from 2-30 MHz, it behaved rather strangely. When calibrated with -70 dBm at 3 MHz, the meter reading was 20 dB low on 3729 kHz. When calibrating at 4 MHz, the meter reading was off by 4 dB at 3729kHz.

I have since changed back to version C firmware and - without calibration - the meter reading is 3 dB high. I may try to calibrate again with this version.

Hardware: Andromeda
Software: Thetis 2.9.0.6 (April 23)

73 de va7qi, ....Erik.

Return to “Protocol 2 Firmware (all radios)”