ANAN 7000 MK 3 - Ciclone V- P.2 issues

FIRMWARE TOPICS ONLY--non-firmware topics will be MOVED
Forum rules
Until such time as the New Protocol firmware goes into general release, all discussion will be concentrated here.
StefanoAlvaro

ANAN 7000 MK 3 - Ciclone V- P.2 issues

Postby StefanoAlvaro » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:20 pm

Edit 2024_02_12: With the new firmware 2.2.2 (for 5CEFA) it seems that the tx finally goes well, there were no more transmission gaps/glitch

RTX: Anan 7000Dle MK3 with Cyclone V FPGA connected via switching eth 1GB
PC: Intel i7 penultimate generation 3.6Ghz- 16GBram

It comes out of the box with fw P1: Everything seems to work fine
I make the comparison with Yaesu FT DX 101D, the weak signals on the 101D are more understandable, the difference is also noticed by friends to whom I sent some videos

Action: Load P.2 fw

At the beginning everything ok, now the difference with the 101D is small, even if the 101 is still slightly better on receiving weak signals in a noisy environment.
After a few minutes of transmission (cq dx cq dx etc..) alerts begin to appear:
SEQ ERROR 8 DDC2
SEQ ERROR 10 DDC0 DDC2
SEQ ERROR 267 CC DDC0 DDC2 Mic (this appears many times)
When this warning appears, my correspondent notices a lack of audio
Putting the radio in TX, even without a microphone connected (MOX only) there is a tone at about 600-700Hz which is not detected by the wattmeter but which is still transmitted if I listen to another nearby radio.
This tone remains even with the microphone inserted and is perceived in transmission. It looks like a larsen effect (digital redundancy maybe?), but I don't know.
By canceling the AM carrier from 100 to 0, returning to SSB the tone is not present, but reappears immediately on the second transmission.
Action: Turn off firewall. No result.
Action: Enable 0xffffffff in regedit as instructed. No result
Action: Enable static IP, no results
Action: I shut down all running software except thetis. No result.
Action: I disconnect ANAN from the switching and connect it to a second specially mounted eth pci card. The transmission tone disappears, the TX audio returns to being clean.
The SEQUENCE problems seem to reduce but only initially, after 15-20 minutes of transmission they return to an increasingly higher frequency up to 1-2 errors every 10/15 seconds of TX.

Action: Load P1 firmware. Everything works fine again, no errors in over two hours of intense activity.

I hope that this info can be of help to the developers, to whom all my respect and gratitude goes, and I hope to be able to have some indications to go back to running P.2 in a stable way.
Last edited by StefanoAlvaro on Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
w-u-2-o

Re: ANAN 7000 MK 3 - Ciclone V- P.2 issues

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:15 pm

Protocol 2 FPGA firmware timing closure on the GigE interface has always been problematic. It cannot be relied upon to work on every serial number ever made.

Your SEQ errors are symptomatic of that problem. If SEQ errors are not resulting in audible effects then they can be safely ignored, but that is not the case so you do have a real problem.

The fact that SEQ errors become worse over time is typical of the problem. With a relatively cool FPGA and board, timing might be marginal, then become worse than marginal as temperatures increase.

None of the actions you took can fix this, although using a separate, dedicated NIC is always a good idea.

None of this is any news to the (very few) firmware developers.

Currently there is only a single version of P2 firmware available for the Cyclone V boards (viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4462). If that version does not work for you then you are probably out of luck unless and until another version is made available.

You might try to add some additional cooling to see if you can keep temperatures down.

BREAK

The FT101D is currently the highest ranked radio by Rob Sherwood. The ANAN-7000 is ranked 13. Nevertheless, regardless of their differences on the laboratory bench, I would not believe there is an audible performance difference between them (or any of the top twenty radios), assuming that:

a) One uses the same speaker or headphones when comparing both, and at the same volume level, and the exact same passband settings (e.g. 100 to 2700Hz, etc.)

b) Operation of the 7000 includes proper adjustment of the S-ATT first (add until the largest signals show a slight drop in SNR, then back off a dB or two), then proper adjustment of AGC Gain (approx. 10dB over panadapter noise level, maybe a little less).

c) With SSB phone, NR2 engaged on the 7000.
StefanoAlvaro

Postby StefanoAlvaro » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:14 am

Thanks for the reply.
I have no idea what “timing closure” means, but I trust what you say, since now with the P1 everything works (or at least seems) correctly.
I don't intend to make any hardware changes, I don't have the presumption to improve what the design engineers have come up with, that's okay at the moment.
Regarding the 101D, I understand that the classification is on the dynamic range, and as regards the "resistance" to adjacent signals, I noticed that the 7000 filters are deadly, much better than the 101.
My comparison is on listening to the voice (I'm only interested in SSB, same speaker, same band parameters, same antenna and same time).
Unfortunately, the 7000 is less clear, a signal in the noise comes out better on the 101, and this is clearly perceptible by ear.
This should NOT happen, I, as I think everyone, expect that a direct sampling will make me hear beyond the limits of traditional conversions, otherwise it would not make any sense.
Perhaps, as you suggest, I have to intervene on S-ATT and AGC, but I didn't understand in practical terms what I should do, I left everything in automatic (as well as on 101) by removing only 1-2 DB on the automatic AGC level menu .
NR2 obviously inserted (otherwise it is truly unlistenable)

I'd like to explore this topic, which is much more important than small sw problems, but in the most suitable forum section.

Thank you,
Stefano iz2zsf
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:05 pm

Timing closure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timing_closure

By all means start a new topic (in the Thetis subforum) to discuss receiver adjustments.
SM3PZG

Postby SM3PZG » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:38 pm

Stefano, I had the same problem with SEQ errors after updating to P2. The problem was solved when I installed the FM patch, see this topic
https://community.apache-labs.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4486&p=23175&hilit=73%2FSam#p23175
At least its worth trying.

73/Sam
StefanoAlvaro

Postby StefanoAlvaro » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:22 pm

SM3PZG wrote:Stefano, I had the same problem with SEQ errors after updating to P2. The problem was solved when I installed the FM patch, see this topic
https://community.apache-labs.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4486&p=23175&hilit=73%2FSam#p23175

73/Sam

Tnx Sam, until know why you could have fixed it and so I won't go back to p2 to "try my luck", but thanks for ur info.
Confirming that u have a "my 2023" equipped with cycloneV?
KD1GA

Postby KD1GA » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:18 pm

StefanoAlvaro wrote:
SM3PZG wrote:Stefano, I had the same problem with SEQ errors after updating to P2. The problem was solved when I installed the FM patch, see this topic

73/Sam

Tnx Sam, until know why you could have fixed it and so I won't go back to p2 to "try my luck", but thanks for ur info.

Hi Sam did the FM patch correct your issues when using other modes, i.e. SSB? I have tried everything to get my 7000 III stable with P2 and no luck. when it works it works great but then it doesn't.
Vin KD1GA
SM3PZG

Postby SM3PZG » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:47 am

KD1GA wrote:
StefanoAlvaro wrote:

73/Sam

Hi Sam did the FM patch correct your issues when using other modes, i.e. SSB? I have tried everything to get my 7000 III stable with P2 and no luck. when it works it works great but then it doesn't.

Hi Vin. I should have said it partly solved the problem. I still get a few SEQ errors when the station gets really hot. The hotter the more frequent SEQ errors. I have installed a extra fan on the Andromeda and cooling almost gets rid of the SEQ errors. The SEQ errors seems to be heat related. They do not affect TX or RX. I guess I could turn them off or try to install even better cooling but its not a issue for me since they dont affect performance.

Return to “Protocol 2 Firmware (all radios)”