Anan 7000 DLE MKII not working

FIRMWARE TOPICS ONLY--non-firmware topics will be MOVED
Forum rules
Until such time as the New Protocol firmware goes into general release, all discussion will be concentrated here.
qst

Anan 7000 DLE MKII not working

Postby qst » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:18 pm

Hello everyone,
yesterday I got a new Anan 7000DLE MKII black version. After installing Thetis, the receiver does not work. The messages "sequencer error 256 (Mic)" and ""Sequencer error 264 (DDC Mic)" appear. It was suggested to me on the forum that this is a firmware issue. However, I installed Thetis on an old laptop with a weak processor and a small amount of memory and the radio received stations with "hiccups". I sat until the morning and did not manage to solve the problem. I wanted to replace the firmware and at the end of the operation before loading the rbf file, my Anan was as unknown. Anan has IP: 192.168.1.1 and is visible in the router as a logged in client. When I connect the cable to a different port in the router or turn it on to the Switch, the radio is not visible. I don't know what else to check.
I am asking for help and suggestions to solve the problem and enjoy the new Anan.
Slawomir
w-u-2-o

Re: Anan 7000 DLE MKII not working

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:56 pm

Step 1 is downgrade to Protocol 1 firmware and to set the IP address to either 0.0.0.0 (for DHCP) or a more appropriate static IP address for your network.

Use Bootloader to do both of those things. Directions are here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2333

To find the correct Protocol 1 firmware for your hardware, look here: https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Firmw ... -Andromeda

Once the radio is working well with Protocol 1, then consider upgrading to Protocol 2.
qst

Postby qst » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:06 pm

Hi, I am already changing the protocol to v.1 and the radio started working correctly. Sigi DH1KLM helped me a lot. I would like to switch to version 2 of the protocol but I do not know if the radio will stop working again. I think I will reinstall protocol v.2 in a few days. Thank you for your help.
Slawomir
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:16 pm

When you make your attempt to upgrade to P2, you will find a guide to the correct P2 firmware for your hardware here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4462

If the latest version for your hardware doesn't work, then start trying older versions. You might find one that works.

For P2 operation you MUST have all network hardware capable of GigE speed.

For P2 operation in can be most helpful to use a separate Ethernet interface on your PC that is dedicated to only the ANAN connection.
qst

Postby qst » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:47 pm

Thank you for the information. I have a Dell 4 port PCIEx gigabit network card. I can mount it and instead of the router I will connect Anan directly to this card. I will write how it works.
Regards,
Slawomir
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:42 pm

Hi
Curious, if you received the radio yesterday it should be a mkIII? I am waiting on mine and was wondering if that was the case and firmware failure?

Jay n2gq
Jay N2GQ
qst

Postby qst » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:24 am

Hi, according to the information on the forum my radio should be MKII -Hardware using the EP4CE115F29C8N Cyclone IV series FPGA. Serial number DX8300497A or higher. My serial number is DX8300519A. But the firmware provided for my Anan is Metis_Orion_MkIII_Protocol_2_v2.1.26c.rbf is for MKIII. I have to explain it.
73's
Slawomir
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:49 am

There's nothing to explain. That is correct. The naming of the various models, boards and firmware is terrible and confusing. All that matters is that you know what FPGA is on the board. The post I wrote that I linked to above allows people to figure that out, and you did.

The ultimate test is to load and run firmware. Incorrect firmware will not run at all. Correct P1 firmware will run reliably. Correct P2 firmware will run but perhaps with SEQ errors or the like.
qst

Postby qst » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:58 pm

Hi, today I installed an additional network card. I connected Anan and it works better than connected to the router. You can see a clear difference. I am thinking about reinstalling the firmware again to version 2 since there were errors and the radio did not work. Maybe a direct connection to the LAN port will solve this problem? If not, can you try to install a different version of firmware v.2?
Slawomir
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:14 pm

qst wrote:Hi, today I installed an additional network card. I connected Anan and it works better than connected to the router. You can see a clear difference. I am thinking about reinstalling the firmware again to version 2 since there were errors and the radio did not work. Maybe a direct connection to the LAN port will solve this problem? If not, can you try to install a different version of firmware v.2?
Slawomir

Already asked and answered, reread this post above: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4490&p=23190#p23177
qst

Postby qst » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:06 am

Hi, you wrote that the correct P2 firmware will work but with errors. For me, the factory P2 software showed errors and the receiver and transmitter did not work. Only errors appeared. That's why I decided to install P1. I can still try to restore P2. Maybe now after connecting the radio directly to the computer, the problem will disappear. I will write about the results.
Regards,
Slawomir
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:58 am

qst wrote:Hi, you wrote that the correct P2 firmware will work but with errors.

I guess you keep skipping over where I wrote "If the latest version for your hardware doesn't work, then start trying older versions. You might find one that works."

For me, the factory P2 software showed errors and the receiver and transmitter did not work.

There is no "factory" P2 firmware. Apache doesn't write a single line of code for any firmware or software. And they have never delivered hardware with P2 firmware installed, only P1.
qst

Postby qst » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:11 pm

Hi Scot, Hi Scot,
I bought my Anan 7000 DLE MKI in the UK from a well-known large company as a new device. Anan originally had the 2_v2.1.26C.rbf protocol installed. After the first run on Thetis v.2.9.07 Anan didn't work which was very frustrating. I didn't know what the reason was. I wrote on the forum and your information caused me to install protocol 1. I decided to go back to protocol v.2. Today, with the help of Sigi, we installed all available versions of protocol 2 and Anan failed to start. It was necessary to return to protocol 1 and the radio is working again. I can't find the reason why my Anan is not working properly with protocol 2. I have a very powerful computer with an i9 processor and 64 GB of RAM. If you have any idea to find the cause of my problem, I'll be happy to try protocol 2 again.
Thanks for all the advice.
73's
Slawomir
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:20 pm

Apache has never delivered hardware with P2 installed to my knowledge. If you received it that way then almost certainly someone else installed it after it was delivered from the factory. Perhaps someone at that "well-known large company".

As a way of double checking that you are selecting the correct P2 firmware, please tell us what version of P1 firmware do you have working OK?

Having a "powerful computer" makes no difference. You could easily run Thetis with an i3 or even lesser processor (but a fast computer is certainly preferred!)

Are you absolutely sure that the connection to the 7000 is properly negotiating at 1 gigabit/s?

Perhaps Sigi would like to post his thoughts in this thread?
DH1KLM

Postby DH1KLM » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:07 pm

Today I had a longer Teamviewer session with Slawomir to install Protocol 2 on his ANAN. There are currently 4 different P2 versions for its EP4CE115F29C8N FPGA. From Orion_MkIII_Protocol_2_v2.1.26a to Orion_MkIII_Protocol_2_v2.1.26d. It was not possible for me to get Thetis working with one of these versions. The ANAN is connected directly to the PC via a second network card. The connection speed is shown as 1 Gigabit/s. I tried it with a fixed IP address and also with DHCP. I have checked the network card settings. The firewall settings have been checked with Thetis, "Network Throttle Index Tweak" is active. I flashed the firmware using the bootloader software. Thetis displays the firmware version correctly, but the pan adapter and waterfall remain blank. Buffer overflows and underflows are shown in the audio settings for VAC1. This actually indicates that some communication is taking place.

How to find out if an EP4CE115F29C8N FPGA is really installed? Could it be that the EP4CE115F29C8N FPGA also works with the firmware for EP4CGX150F896 FPGA?

My next approach would be to flash Protocol 1 firmware for EP4CGX150F896 FPGA. If that doesn't work, it should be clear that an EP4CE115F29C8N is really installed.
Or a 5CEFA9F31 FPGA.

I reflashed the Protocol 1 firmware "Metis_Orion_MKIII_rev5.rbf" and everything works as usual. I'm running out of ideas. I've never observed anything like this, and I've often changed the firmware on my Hermes and Anvelina boards.

Helpful tips are very welcome, although most tips from the forum have already been taken into account.
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:44 pm

Some great info there, Sigi, thanks for posting!

I reflashed the Protocol 1 firmware "Metis_Orion_MKIII_rev5.rbf" and everything works as usual.

That absolutely, unambiguously, means that the FPGA is an EP4CE115F29C8N.

Flashing firmware for any other FPGA will cause a complete failure to run. There is no partial operation that will occur. So that result is definitive.

There are currently 4 different P2 versions for its EP4CE115F29C8N FPGA. From Orion_MkIII_Protocol_2_v2.1.26a to Orion_MkIII_Protocol_2_v2.1.26d.

Batsed on your P1 results, that is definitely the correct versions to be trying.

The ANAN is connected directly to the PC via a second network card. The connection speed is shown as 1 Gigabit/s. I tried it with a fixed IP address and also with DHCP.

Another way to confirm that your network settings are OK is to observe good operation with P1 firmware. You've done that. So as long as the P1 configuration is working OK then the network settings are good. However, it's best to set up the dedicated connection with static IPs on a dedicated subnet. I.e., if the main PC NIC (Wi-Fi counts as a NIC) is using 192.168.1.xxx, then put the dedicated ANAN LAN on 192.168.2.xxx.

How to find out if an EP4CE115F29C8N FPGA is really installed? Could it be that the EP4CE115F29C8N FPGA also works with the firmware for EP4CGX150F896 FPGA?

You've confirmed it's an EP4CE as discussed above. And, again, it is not possible for an FPGA to boot with the wrong firmware, not even partially boot.

No need to waste your time trying other P1 versions other than to satisfy your curiosity.

Helpful tips are very welcome, although most tips from the forum have already been taken into account.

I'd recommend you proceed as follows:

1. Get static IPs set up in both the dedicated PC NIC and the ANAN, being sure they are on a different subnet from any other NIC used in the PC.

2. Turn off Windows firewall completely.

3. Get the P1 firmware into the ANAN and confirm operation.

4. Switch to P2 firmware (probably 26c is your best bet, it's the version that has been most successful).

5. Double and triple check firewalls are off.

Bottom line: most total failures of this type are due to the following reasons:

- Failure to load the right firmware (unlikely in your case)
- Failure to load the firmware correctly (unlikely)
- Failure to move the Bootloader switch and cycle power to get back to normal boot mode (unlikely)
- Windows firewall (unlikely, and now we have the Firewall Check button in Thetis setup)
- Improper network setup (unlikely, esp. if P1 works)
- Bad equipment or bad cable that is not GigE capable (maybe???)

With regard to that latter issue, if a cable or connector were messed up that could cause a problem. GigE requires all 4 pairs in the cable and all 8 contacts on the connectors. Try connecting the PC NIC to a GigE switch and make sure the physical link lights illuminate in the right combination and color. Do the same with the 7000 after booting it up in P2 mode. Check the cable in a similar matter. A bad cable can really fool you. P1, and Bootloader, both running at 100Mb/s, only require 2 of the four pairs in the cable to be working. P2, using GigE, requires all 4 pairs in the cable to be working. So it's possible to have a cable that works for P1 and Bootloader but not for P2. Same for the Ethernet connectors on the PC and the 7000.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:51 pm

One other thought as we all grasp at the remaining straws...is it possible that somehow all of the P2 rbf file downloads are corrupt, or not downloaded correctly?
DH1KLM

Postby DH1KLM » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:00 pm

I assigned Slawomir's PC and ANAN a fixed IP address again and set Metric to 1. I manually deleted the existing Thetis entries in the firewall settings and recreated the entries using the Thetis "Firewall Check". When reviewing the rules, I noticed that under "Advanced" only the public and domain profiles were active. I manually activated private for all Thetis rules. Finally Protocol 2 seems to be working now.
I cannot say which of the changes was decisive for this.

I've never had such a complicated case. I currently have 9 different versions of Thetis on my development machine, but I've never really had to worry about the firewall settings. Most of the time when I try a new Thetis version I get the message "Windows Defender Firewall has blocked...." I allow this access and everything works. This means that the correct profile (private) is active in the firewall rules.
I have never used Thetis' "Firewall Check" feature to create the entries. And this is just one of 5 computers here in the shack.

No matter what it was, the main thing is that it works now.
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:19 pm

That's great news!

Return to “Protocol 2 Firmware (all radios)”