Questions about filters midi controls :

A place to discuss and exchange ideas on all types of control surfaces for PowerSDR and Thetis.
ik3umt

Questions about filters midi controls :

Postby ik3umt » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:03 pm

Is it possible to change filter bandwidth/shift per step ?
Using a regular knob filter is shifted in 169Hz steps :?

Why filter bandwidth behavior is assigned to a wheel control type instead of knob/slider ?? Is it changeable ?

Thank you

Federico
ik3umt
DH1KLM

Re: Questions about filters midi controls :

Postby DH1KLM » Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:03 pm

I am not exactly sure what you mean.
Please send a screenshot or the CAT command in question.

Which MIDI controller are you using?
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
ik3umt

Postby ik3umt » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:26 pm

Hi Sigi, Merry Xmas to you and all of you.

I mean that once a knob is set as "filter shift" function, each step of the knob make jump filter 169 Hz more or less , unacceptable expecially for cw operations.

Next, filter bandwidth control is assignable only to a wheel device (not to a knob or slider) in Powersdr Midi configuration.

Controller is a DJ2GO2 , I don't think issue(s) has to do with controller model.
Thank you

Federico
ik3umt
ik3umt

Postby ik3umt » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:53 pm

I've checked again, probably is not midi related :

If you try to shift the filter with its "shift" slider on Powersdr screen it has the same "stepped" behavior encountered with controller knob.
If you shift filter by dragging mouse on panadapter window the selection is more smooth and selective.
Is this solvable ?
DH1KLM

Postby DH1KLM » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:02 pm

I'll have a look tomorrow.
Do you use PowerSDR or Thetis?
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
ik3umt

Postby ik3umt » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:39 pm

PowerSDR
DH1KLM

Postby DH1KLM » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:06 am

I am using a Hercules DJControl MP3 LE.
If "FilterBandwidth" is mapped to a wheel (this is the only option right now) it results in a 33Hz step in PowerSDR and Thetis as well.
Wheels mapped to Filter High / Low results in 50Hz step.
It apparently depends on the controller used, how large or small the step size is.

I just compiled Thetis with an option to map the "FilterBandwidth" to a knob or slider, but this only gives me a range of 656 Hz in 5 Hz steps.
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
ik3umt

Postby ik3umt » Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:12 pm

I confirm 33Hz step for filter bandwidth using a wheel, acceptable.
What is not , is the 150 Hz step for "filter shift" using a knob, while an excellent 6Hz/step is achieved by using mouse for shifting filter (panadapter filter dragging)
Tha same way, an unacceptable 150Hz step occours when using mouse to move the graphic "Shift" slider.
For the use, is a nonsense to have a slider (video or controller knob) that shift the filter within a 20KHz range when 128 steps should be distributed into just few thousands or hundreds of Hz.
I think this is mapped Into software to widen the range of shifting action , is it changeable ?
ik3umt

Postby ik3umt » Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:20 pm

Question : despite the controller used, shouldn't any control have 128 digital steps, so same controlling range ?
DH1KLM

Postby DH1KLM » Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:46 pm

I think, regardless of whether the step size is set via the UI or button / slider, the question should be what should be achieved with it. Depending on the type of modulation used, there are presumably other requirements, so that changes should not be so easy to implement.
In addition, there is also a not manageable number of different controllers, regardless of whether they are self-made or from manufacturers such as Hercules, Behringer, Numark etc.

For example, the Behringer CMD PL-1 and CMD Micro are treated differently by the PowerSDR / Thetis MIDI setup than other controllers. But this also means that PowerSDR / Thetis treats all the other controllers equally, regardless of their technical parameters.

As can be read in other threads and you had to determine yourself, the DJ2GO2 apparently causes problems in general.

Maybe the MIDI functionality should be revised in general.

At the moment we have to work with what we have, except for minor changes.
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
ik3umt

Postby ik3umt » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:31 pm

Sigi, of course is a nonsense to modify the software to fit a controller used by two OM ;)
Maybe, we can turn issues toward "requested features".

In my opinion "filter shift per step" should be adapted to modulation type.
The same should be done for "filter bandwidth per step"
Also "filter bandwidth" should be mapped to a knob by default instead of a wheel (generally used for VFOs)
Last, shifting filters + or - 10KHz is deprecated, a new function "wide/narrow filter range" would be added and recalled at a button push.
Traditional radios manage filter within few KHz (my 7800 i.e. has 25Hz steps in SSB)

But if no one hasn't yet asked for, is not a real need/issue (read: managing filters by mouse is straigthforward with precision).
ik3umt

Postby ik3umt » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:29 pm

Well, playing with PowerSdr settings, General->Filters->RX1 filter controls->Max Filter Shift does the trick !
I've set to 1000Hz giving a nice 16Hz per step shift even with a midi knob.
A lower MaxFilterShift gives more sensitivity (lower Hz per step) fine for CW but too low for SSB need, 1000 Hz overall shift is acceptable for both modes.

Return to “Macro & MIDI Controller Software, Hardware & Scripts”