What are the midi controllers that work.

A place to discuss and exchange ideas on all types of control surfaces for PowerSDR and Thetis.
n2gq

What are the midi controllers that work.

Postby n2gq » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:06 am

Hi,
Does anyone know the latest midi controllers that are selling new, that work with Thetis?
Jay N2GQ
Tony EI7BMB

Re: What are the midi controllers that work.

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:09 pm

what are the latest ones ?
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:39 pm

The list will be vastly increased as I have just fixed an issue where more modern controllers give additional 14bit midi messages for sliders/controllers. The messages for those knobs/sliders arrive in pairs and the midi config was getting confused. As a quick fix we are now ignoring the 14bit messages. My Hercules DJControl Startlight now works fine.

It will be included in [2.10.3.4] at some point.
Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:06 pm

ramdor wrote:The list will be vastly increased as I have just fixed an issue where more modern controllers give additional 14bit midi messages for sliders/controllers. The messages for those knobs/sliders arrive in pairs and the midi config was getting confused. As a quick fix we are now ignoring the 14bit messages. My Hercules DJControl Startlight now works fine.

Thats great news Richie, the Starlight is the one I would like use. It is small and has a nice combination of knobs and sliders.

Thanks, Dan
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:14 pm

ramdor wrote:The list will be vastly increased as I have just fixed an issue where more modern controllers give additional 14bit midi messages for sliders/controllers. The messages for those knobs/sliders arrive in pairs and the midi config was getting confused. As a quick fix we are now ignoring the 14bit messages. My Hercules DJControl Startlight now works fine.

Yes Cool, I have a Denon mc3000 and a Traktor Kontrol S4 mkII none work. The denon works in sdr-console just fine. It is getting harder to get some that do work. And just acquired a Korg controller. Thank you for your work. I wish I could program, I would be at it all day. :D

Peace...
Jay N2GQ
W7GES

Postby W7GES » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:29 pm

I really like the ELAD TM-2...

It has a small LCD screen that shows the frequency / mode / signal strength. I set the background LED to blue when VFO A is selected and yellow when VFO B. Transmit turns the LED Red.

There are knobs for vol / mult / VFO.

My favorite part is that I can set VFO A to the DX station when they are working split, press the SubRX button and then listen to the DX and also listen to the pileup. If I press the A/B button on the TM-2 and spin the VFO knob I can find the person working the DX and call on that frequency.

It's also small enough to set on the left side of my keyboard next to my Node-Red / Antenna switching mouse. My SO2R desktop is pretty crowded and the small size helps.

They are a little pricey, but available from WIMO on the internet.

Since Ritchie has fixed an issue and there are now additional MIDI messages maybe a Hercules controller will fit your needs better.

I'm grateful there are more choices now and maybe I'll dig the Hercules controller I have out and set it up on my second desktop to see how that works...

George / W7GES
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:31 am

W7GES wrote:I really like the ELAD TM-2...

It has a small LCD screen that shows the frequency / mode / signal strength. I set the background LED to blue when VFO A is selected and yellow when VFO B. Transmit turns the LED Red.

There are knobs for vol / mult / VFO.

My favorite part is that I can set VFO A to the DX station when they are working split, press the SubRX button and then listen to the DX and also listen to the pileup. If I press the A/B button on the TM-2 and spin the VFO knob I can find the person working the DX and call on that frequency.

It's also small enough to set on the left side of my keyboard next to my Node-Red / Antenna switching mouse. My SO2R desktop is pretty crowded and the small size helps.

They are a little pricey, but available from WIMO on the internet.

Since Ritchie has fixed an issue and there are now additional MIDI messages maybe a Hercules controller will fit your needs better.

I'm grateful there are more choices now and maybe I'll dig the Hercules controller I have out and set it up on my second desktop to see how that works...

George / W7GES

Yes, I was going to buy the Tmate just the other day and Elad USA was out of stock. Purchased a Korg controller which has lots of buttons except and hope I can get the wheel working, will see when I receive it.
Jay N2GQ
eu6w

Postby eu6w » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:25 pm

Richie good afternoon, version 2.10.3.4, Hercules DJ control mp3 e2, the knobs don’t work, the buttons work, version 2.10.3.3 works very well.
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:10 pm

eu6w wrote:

Richie good afternoon, version 2.10.3.4, Hercules DJ control mp3 e2, the knobs don’t work, the buttons work, version 2.10.3.3 works very well.

"Don't work" means turning the knobs doesn't show an incoming midi-event in the midi-config or you have it working in 2.10.3.3 and now the knobs stopped working?

=> If you use some of the checkboxes "ignore 14bit messages", "control id includes channel" or "includes status" you have to remap your midi device via "Configure MIDI".

73 Ernst, OE3IDE
eu6w

Postby eu6w » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:03 pm

oe3ide wrote:
eu6w wrote:

"Don't work" means turning the knobs doesn't show an incoming midi-event in the midi-config or you have it working in 2.10.3.3 and now the knobs stopped working?

=> If you use some of the checkboxes "ignore 14bit messages", "control id includes channel" or "includes status" you have to remap your midi device via "Configure MIDI".

73 Ernst, OE3IDE

Ernst, thank you, I’ll look for where to put the flags.
very good, works fixed in v2.10.3.4-pre-release-5
dl5tt

Postby dl5tt » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:16 pm

Hi,

I just tested 2.10.3.4 pre-release 5 and with the new option (checkboxes) in menu MIDI, at least one actual DJ-Controller (DJCONTROL INPULSE 200 MK2) is working. Important is, that checkbox "Also include status" is also checked.
By the way: The parameters "MIDI Wheel updates/step" have no influence on the sensitivity (at least in my configuration), don't know why.

With earlier Thetis-versions this DJ-Controller didn't work. My first attempt (with the same controller) two years ago was not successful.

Thanks to Richie (again and again)
Last edited by dl5tt on Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Actual system: ANAN-7000DLE MKII Protocol 2, external PC Ryzen 5600G, direct ethernet connection.
dl5tt

Postby dl5tt » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:37 pm

Hi Richie,

I have to questions:
1) I wanted to assign a knob/slider to "gain" of menu diversity, but the configuration menu for MIDI allows only WHEEL for this parameter. I think a slider/knob for gain (from 0-1) would be sufficient.

2) I tried also to assign a knob/slider to "gain multi" but I didn't find this parameter. Is it missing?

Thank you in advance for your reply
and in general for your great work.

You are doing a great job
Actual system: ANAN-7000DLE MKII Protocol 2, external PC Ryzen 5600G, direct ethernet connection.
JJ4SDR

Postby JJ4SDR » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:37 pm

Hi Richie!

Could you tell me from which Thetis version onward Hercules DJController Starlight works? I understand it does work on v2.10.3.4 (Pre-release 5?), but is there a version prior to that? On Nov04 you wrote "As a quick fix we are now ignoring the 14bit messages." What is the earliest Thetis version in which that "quick fix" is implemented?

I ordered the "Starlight" flavor of the DJController (free returns accepted by seller) owing to its compact size .

Juha
PC: 8 Core i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz, NVMe SK Hynix 512 GB SSD, 32GB RAM
Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:39 pm

JJ4SDR wrote:

Hi Richie!

Could you tell me from which Thetis version onward Hercules DJController Starlight works? I understand it does work on v2.10.3.4 (Pre-release 5?), but is there a version prior to that? On Nov04 you wrote "As a quick fix we are now ignoring the 14bit messages." What is the earliest Thetis version in which that "quick fix" is implemented?

Juha

All information is here: https://github.com/ramdor/Thetis/releases
JJ4SDR

Postby JJ4SDR » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:35 pm

Thanks. Seems like I will need to upgrade to the latest version of Thetis.
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
JJ4SDR

Postby JJ4SDR » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:46 pm

Update to the latest Thetis went well. Now, I am using a Hercules DJCompact Starlight version that works in this version, but wondered if I have all the necessary boxes checked correctly ( see screen capture below).

14bit messages MIDI.jpg
14bit messages MIDI.jpg (13.52 KiB) Viewed 17096 times

At one point it seemed that the (just tire-kicking at this point, starting with this wheel) wheel on the right was a tad sketchy as, at first it worked really well when I went up and down a band. Then, all of a sudden it seemed like the function stalled when I started turning the wheel and I had to wait a second or two. I will continue programming more of the functions later after I have reassured myself that the controller indeed works as it should. My main focus and the reason I wanted to put knobs back to the radio is when I am on CW as I don't like using the mouse which isn't very practical on CW (SSB too when faced with the need to very quickly adjust off-set in XIT, working SPLIT).

Perhaps I need to double check my USB cable as I am using an old one I had lying around instead of the cable that came with the controller as it is too short.

Update:
Wheel on right is still not very consistent and VFOA doesn't really act very smooth and often there is absolutely no obvious change in frequency at all when turning the wheel. Hit or miss at this stage.

Juha
NI2M
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:31 am

@juha

It is very simple thing to do

https://youtu.be/hH8_Y52eYKc

note: Keep in mind if you have any external software that is doing things to the frequency, then you might end up with a fight on your hands ;)
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:48 am

@juha

also, something VERY important with the hercules dj starlight. You need to spin the wheels with your finger on top. It does not give any midi messages if you use the outer plastic bezel. If your finger is half on/half off the top wheel surface you might get intermittent mdi messages and odd things going on. Make sure finger is in the yellow area when you spin it, annoying, but that is how the hardware is.

starL.jpg
starL.jpg (18.09 KiB) Viewed 16965 times
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:23 pm

ramdor wrote:@juha

also, something VERY important with the hercules dj starlight. You need to spin the wheels with your finger on top. It does not give any midi messages if you use the outer plastic bezel. If your finger is half on/half off the top wheel surface you might get intermittent mdi messages and odd things going on. Make sure finger is in the yellow area when you spin it, annoying, but that is how the hardware is.

starL.jpg

How about the vinyl mode does it change the way the jog wheel behaves? It might take away the secondary function.
Jay N2GQ
JJ4SDR

Postby JJ4SDR » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:58 pm

Hi Richie!

Yes, I know, this should be a piece of cake.

I will double check in regards to "external software." The only one that I can think of is N1MM+ and my RF2K-S amplifier that communicates with the ANAN using TCI (I don't like RF sensing) , but a buddy of mine also uses TCI and has reported no issue with MIDI control. N1MM+ isn't "on" though unless I am in contest mode.

OK on the yellow area (touch sensitive) and someone else pointed that out as well.

Update: I am finding that after programming a wheel I will still need to keep my finger in the "yellow" area when using it to control the radio. Is this the way it is supposed to work? I thought that one needs to place the finger in that yellow area only when doing the programming but should be able to use the bezel afterwards :roll:

Cheers!
Juha
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:55 pm

JJ4SDR wrote:Update: I am finding that after programming a wheel I will still need to keep my finger in the "yellow" area when using it to control the radio. Is this the way it is supposed to work? I thought that one needs to place the finger in that yellow area only when doing the programming but should be able to use the bezel afterwards :roll:

yes, the device only sends messages if your finger is _ON_ the wheel surface. Somewhat annoying, but it is what it is :)
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:11 pm

n2gq wrote:How about the vinyl mode does it change the way the jog wheel behaves? It might take away the secondary function.

They didn't when i just tested it. To get any jog data out of those wheels they need a finger on top to be 'touching'. Incidentally there is a touch midi message for those which I scrap in code to get the wheels to be usable in midi config. Otherwise it becomes very difficult to set them up.

Return to “Macro & MIDI Controller Software, Hardware & Scripts”