Use Midi for Thetis and Voicemeeter

A place to discuss and exchange ideas on all types of control surfaces for PowerSDR and Thetis.
VK4BXI

Use Midi for Thetis and Voicemeeter

Postby VK4BXI » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:46 am

I have and use a Hercules DJ controller with Thetis on my 7000 mkII. I also use Voicemeeter Banana and am using CMASIO to connect the two. When upgrading Banana to the latest version 2.1.1.1 I noticed that Banana will accept midi inputs. I have tried to set midi commands using by the Hercules controller as the input device but no joy so far. The Hercules controller does come up as a selection on the midi controller input list so that bit works, but I wonder if I'm missing something basic like the controller only working with one program at a time and I would need a separate controller to talk to the Voicemeeter ?
The goal for me would be able to use keys on my Hercules DJ controller to run the recorder in Voicemeeter and call CQ contest for me :mrgreen:
Please has anyone tried controlling Voicemeeter in this way or indeed gotten the Midi interface to work ?

Bob
w-u-2-o

Re: Use Midi for Thetis and Voicemeeter

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:07 am

MIDI controllers normally only connect to one app at a time. First app wins. For instance, I am able to use my Hercules DJControl Compact with both Thetis and Voicemeeter but not at the same time.

However, as you might expect, people have come up with solutions for this very obvious limitation. I don't have any specific recommendations, but a two second Google search came up with: https://hautetechnique.com/midi/midisplit/

loopMIDI, Bome MIDI Translator, and MIDI-OX all are capable of creating virtual MIDI ports and virtual MIDI cables and can be used in much the same way as virtual serial cable software to split a controller between two app's a the same time.

Note: I just have a general awareness of this stuff, I've never tried it and therefore can't offer specific guidance. However these software app's appear quite popular and have thriving online forums associated with them.
VK4BXI

Re: Use Midi for Thetis and Voicemeeter

Postby VK4BXI » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:47 pm

Thanks Scott, I had a feeling there was something "basic" that I was missing. Now to go learn something new.

Bob

Return to “Macro & MIDI Controller Software, Hardware & Scripts”