New to Transverters & considering transverter(s) for the 8000DLE

N9SSW

New to Transverters & considering transverter(s) for the 8000DLE

Postby N9SSW » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:17 am

So I am considering adding 2M & 70CM to the 8000DLE using one or two transverters but I have no experience doing so on the 8000DLE, I have looked through the documentation for the 8000 I have and have not found any transverter hookup\config guides for the 8000 either.

First let me put my goals out here to even see if they can be realized....

1. add 2M and 70CM to the 8000 Software interface seamlessly. I'm using protocol 1 and OpenHPSDR mRX 3.4.9
2. gain some SSB experience on 2M\70CM.
3. be able to access the local 2M\70CM FM repeaters.
4. this might be a taller ask.... be able to RX\TX on either 2M\70CM while still listening to the other band (like a modern dual band mobile radio) 70CM\2M at the same time.

I was considering this dual band 2M\70CM Ukraine high stability transverter https://www.ebay.com/itm/132503036008 and a dual band VHF\UHF linear amplifier until I realized that #4 would be impossible since both the amp and transverter could operate on only one band at a time. I think the single dual band transverter\amp method could accomplish #1-3 of my goals but eliminates #4.

This got me to thinking that the 8000DLE has three antenna jacks on it. I currently use ANT1 for all of my HF antenna's. ANT2 & ANT3 on the 8000DLE are both empty. If I were to connect two transverters, one VHF\2M to ANT2 and second transverter UHF\70CM to ANT3 could I use RX1slice in the software for the 144/28 configured for ANT2 and use RX2 slice for 440/28 and use them both at the same time RX1\RX2? part of me says this will not work because while I am TX'ing 28Mhz to be upconverted to 144 that 28Mhz will overload the 28Mhz receive being downconverted from the 440 transverter... and visa-versa if that makes sense. Seems like this might be breaking the space\time continuum or something ;) Best case would it work RX on both bands at the same time but TX on one band will wipe out RX on the other only during TX... This I could probably live with so long as receive on both is resumed when no TX on either and there would be no damage to radio.

If this was possible it would seem that just a coax cable set from 8000DLE ANT2-->TXV144-->AMP144-->ANT144
and a second coax cable set from 8000DLE ANT3-->TXV440-->AMP440-->ANT440 would be required and the correct software\antenna configuration.

Those with much more transverter and even likely more 8000DLE experience than me please tell me why this will not work and if my best option is the dual band transverter or a separate all mode VHF\UHF radio all together... I really like the idea of doing it all through the 8000DLE software rather than another all mode radio...

Since I am on HF almost all the time too would I be able to set either RX1\RX2 slice to an HF band and other slice to either VHF\UHF band at the same time? or vice-versa have VHF\UHF on RX1 slice with HF on RX2 slice...

Please dash my dreams and tell me the best way to proceed! lol

73'

de N9SSW

Nick

Return to “Transverters”